Considering switching to the Lumia

JonSick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I currently run a Samsung S3 but thinking the Windows 8 (specifically the Lumia 920) may be more for me.

Just a quick couple of Qs, largely in a "compared to the Galaxy S3" kind of quesitons.

- Are mp3 files drag-and-drop with the Lumia connected via USB?
- How is the satnav on the Lumia?
- Some of the problems I've had with the S3 are nearly all about Android's current inability to shut the **** up. Does silent on the Lumia mean silent? Or does this too wake you up at 5am when there's an update to the OS that it really needs to tell you about? I have tried begging, pleading, offering sacrifices and even bought a few hours with some hookerbots, yet the silent/not silent thing just has a mind of its own.
- Compared to the S3, what are camera shots like?
- Any SPAM on Windows 8?
- Is the music player decent on Windows 8? Does it go by ID3 tag, or folder structure? All my MP3s are ripped from CD, but I rarely ever fill in the ID3 stuff (I still use cassette and CDs so MP3s are a really temporary mobile format for me). The S3 is therefore cack as a result of this, no ID3 tags = no proper cataloguing of MP3s, despite being all nicely divided up in their own folders.
- Is it worth the ?80 or so I'll have to spend to sell my S3 and get the Lumia?

Apologies for the rather, er, basic questions. To offer some background, I started with the iPhone5, decided it was too basic and overall stupidly expensive for what you got, particularly the accessories and apps. I went to Android after several recommendations, but it just seems way too needy for a phone. It needs attention every five minutes and I find the 'droid community just as elitist as the iPhone types, just telling me "you're doing it wrong"... thinking maybe Windows8 may be a happy/happier medium....

bovcrx

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I just know navigation is awesome because I used Nokia Maps on a 900. I really liked it because once you download the map for your state/country you have navigation even if you lose cell service. Pictures should be on par with the S3; it's when you view them on PC where they will outshine the S3. I really want one but I can't afford to get the unlocked one and don't want to make the switch to ATT because my plan is super cheap.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

bovcrx

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I understand it's beta, but it got me all over Texas and Oklahoma even when I would be out of cell service. My BlackBerry 9900 would just quit on me with no service, so that alone was awesome for me. If I dig it now I just can't wait to see how it evolves.

Sent from my Note II with a WP8 theme

cuzincurly

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
1. Yes, but tinkering with the built in music player is hard
2. Nokia Drive is awesome, way better than google maps since you can download the maps to use them offline.
3. Yes when Nokia is silent, it is silent because you only have 1 volume control for everything. [double edged sword for many, but I specially love this feature because it's quick and easy to silence the phone haha]
4. The shots for me, are better than S3 particularly low light shots [kicks every other phone's except for the 808]. S3's phone screen is overly saturated for me so I think it fools the eye into thinking it creates better shots
5. No spam so far
6. I'm not a fan of 920's music player because it's hard to create playlists and to manipulate the order of the songs, but the sound quality is really good.
7. I think yes if you want a solid phone well built phone.

**comparisons based from relatives/ friends' S3's

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
yes, mp3 is by file transfer but sorted by id3 tag.

yes, Wp is generally a very quit OS

the camera is outstanding in low light. A bit soft in good light but the update fixed that.

satnav really is great. I threw away my TomTom dedicated nav device.

what is SPAM? I'd have to say no.

if You where on iPhone5 You might find WP8 to be almost just as basic plus wireless charging and NFC. But it is by intention so You do not have to fiddle with the settings every two hours, just because you can ;)

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
If you think the iPhone is too limited and Android needs limiting then yes, you are in the right place. WP8 is a good mix of the two - there is ability to customize and tailor the device to your taste but it doesn't have the plethora of options Android does. You have a limited number of settings provided by Microsoft (limited is a relative term here) and that's all you are stuck with. On the plus side, this means you won't be fiddling around with the device to make it work or try to kill yourself because you didn't turn off all the settings that do the exact same thing...

Anyway, people have answered this before but I'll post mine anyways:
- Are mp3 files drag-and-drop with the Lumia connected via USB?

Yes, you can drag and drop MP3 files when the Lumia is connected via USB. The same, I believe, goes for pictures and videos. Documents/PDFs might work too but I have yet to try those and I'd rather rely on SkyDrive for those.

- How is the satnav on the Lumia?
Terrific. Nokia Drive is one of the best navigation software around. I've used it in many circumstances and it hasn't let me down so far and the ability to download maps offline (and have them update over Wi-Fi is a bonus). It is a little behind in some countries but I don't think the U.K. is one of them. Additionally, you also get the Nokia Transit app and a standard Nokia Maps app along with Drive and both are well-featured and handy.

- Some of the problems I've had with the S3 are nearly all about Android's current inability to shut the **** up. Does silent on the Lumia mean silent? Or does this too wake you up at 5am when there's an update to the OS that it really needs to tell you about? I have tried begging, pleading, offering sacrifices and even bought a few hours with some hookerbots, yet the silent/not silent thing just has a mind of its own.
Update alerts are subtle on WP. It alerts you to it (you can turn this off) but it sits quietly in the background until you go down to Settings and actually press "Update now". Silent on WP also means silent. When you press the volume button, a little icon will show up beside the volume level indicator with an icon that'll say "ring" - you can tap on this icon to toggle the behavior to silent and silent really means silent (the only exception will be an alarm, if you have that set). I usually have mine on vibrate and it is pretty quiet there as well.

- Compared to the S3, what are camera shots like?
For me, the camera in the Lumia is the best in a smartphone currently (barring the 404 PureView) and it has some subtle improvements to it over rival products. Now, the shots you take in day-light will be comparable to the S3 but the shots you take at night will blow any other smartphone out of the water. Also, video recording, due to OIS, is great because your shaky hands don't kill the recording and the microphone is a very good one.

- Any SPAM on Windows 8?
As in stuff installed by carriers or the OEM? Nope and even if there is, you can uninstall it. The 920 comes packed with Nokia's whole suite of apps (Music, Trailers, City Lens etc) and if you don't want any of these, just uninstall them from the app list. The same goes for carrier related crap.

- Is the music player decent on Windows 8? Does it go by ID3 tag, or folder structure? All my MP3s are ripped from CD, but I rarely ever fill in the ID3 stuff (I still use cassette and CDs so MP3s are a really temporary mobile format for me). The S3 is therefore cack as a result of this, no ID3 tags = no proper cataloguing of MP3s, despite being all nicely divided up in their own folders.
So far that approach has worked out for me when just doing drag-and-drop. I'm a little fussy about meta-tags and everything so I usually let MediaMonkey do the heavy lifting for me (the Windows Phone connector is adequate but not that great). Concerning the ID3 tags though, you should be fine. If not, there are other ways to sync music quickly so it shouldn't kill you.
I really like the music player on WP. Xbox Music has its limitations but I find the player to be well-featured and not nearly as messy or intrusive as those on Android. It is elegant, has tons of hidden features and is very well integrated into Microsoft's services. Creating playlists, however, sucks and sometimes, the smart DJ function is a little buggy.

- Is it worth the ?80 or so I'll have to spend to sell my S3 and get the Lumia?
I'd argue yes since I truly believe that the 920 is superior to the S3. However, if the S3 is serving you fine and those are minor complaints you just listed, I'd hold on to it. It is a decent device so not too bad (but if you have the 80 quid to spare, I'd say go for it ;)).

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The s3 is junk, downloading a different app for music or learning how to use sound profiles is too complicated. Lumia owns s3 here.

Can you post it to me today , please ?

SergeMcG

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Drive, if you come from a non Nokia Device and you regularly drive, is the most important app on the planet.
I had a Tomtom and I gave it to one of my relative as I don't need it anymore. Nokia Drive itself has more value than the cost of the device, and the reason n.1 why I decided to stick with Nokia anyways all these years. Don't forget there is also a Nokia Walk included, another wonderful help. City Lens is another app that comes very very handy in certain occasions. All integrated, end to end from your contact (click to their addresses and drive!) to the search engine. They did an awesome job and I bet they will keep on improving it.

Nokia Drive is still Beta. Who used Nokia Drive on Symbian devices knows that Nokia Drive on Lumia-s is still basic. For example live traffic re-routing is not yet implemented. Something my Nokia N8 does greatly. Live traffic rerouting is a very important feature that enables you to avoid traffic even while you are already on the route, it has the best automatic rerouting and it is free.
Who comes from Symbian devices also knows that with patience all features are implemented over time. I just wonder how long will take to Microsoft and Nokia to realise that who is upgrading from Symbian greatly expects these important features and gets a bit disappointed in not finding them. (notification led or alarms when off anyone?)

I've read that live traffic rerouting is definitely going to be included in the Nokia My Commute Drive add on (free) soon to be released. Problem with My Commute is that live traffic rerouting will only be for your commuting routes, not for the new ones. I contacted Nokia to tell them that Live Traffic rerouting should be implemented for all routes as it is for Symbian Devices. I hope they will not miss this important feature.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I used to own the original Galaxy S so I fully understand your question about Spam. Certain applications would bombard the notification panel with "Important updates" and clicking on them just took you to a website to download an app or whatever. Other apps would install icons on your Homescreen and apps list which were once again just web links. Rooting the phone and installing an ad blocker would sort it out but it was still annoying to say the least.

With Windows Phone, there is nothing at all like that behaviour and also no need for 3rd party antivirus software as WP8 has its own inbuilt protection.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The s3 is junk, downloading a different app for music or learning how to use sound profiles is too complicated. Lumia owns s3 here.

Can you post it to me today , please ?

How is this helping the OP? If YOU can't/wont make a positive contribution to a thread DON'T POST.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
It was levity. I don't have working smilies in this app at the moment.

The suggestion is bidirectional, thanks.

The answer being I am helping the community by pointing put your troll posts.

"learning how to use sound profiles is too complicated"

That's just insulting nothing funny about it.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Strange. I don't see why silent on the S3 doesn't silent everything, it never woke me up and I am a super light sleeper.

I don't have an S3 anymore so I can't check it myself but there is most likely a setting to turn off notifications for updates and just about anything and everything.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The answer being I am helping the community by pointing put your troll posts.

"learning how to use sound profiles is too complicated"

That's just insulting nothing funny about it.

pulling the "troll" card because you can't discuss matters is lame. Profiles -is- what the op needs to sleep at night with his current setup, although I don't know what you need to sleep though, sorry.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
pulling the "troll" card because you can't discuss matters is lame. Profiles -is- what the op needs to sleep at night with his current setup, although I don't know what you need to sleep though, sorry.

Just want to call it like I see it.

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Contrary to what people said here, silent on Lumia is not 100% silent. I always charge it overnight on the night stand in the bedroom, and when I unplug it in the morning, it makes three beeps. The beeps are as loud as the volume on the phone before you switched it to silent. The only way to keep it quiet is to decrease the volume to 0, and I need do that once in a while when my wife is still asleep.

Definitely not a deal breaker, but proper sound profile similar to BB would be nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720