would you recommend buying a 920 after owning one yourself?

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Unless you wanted an iPhone, or an Android phone, or perhaps a Blackberry. Then I would not recommend it. However, if you are looking for a Windows Phone 8 Phone, it is one of the top three such phones.

The 8X is also a great Windows phone, so frankly you can't really go wrong with either. Don't kid yourself on issues, HTC isn't exactly the king of support either, and their build quality/durability has never been great. You're not going to get BETTER support or quality from either company.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I predominantly use it for e-mail (probably around 20 e-mails per day), SMS (5-10) and browsing the web / reading news (perhaps about 45 minutes per day). I listen to TuneIn on the way to work and back (a 20 minute drive each). I also have Skype installed and use that for messaging only (perhaps another 5-10 messages per day). That's about it.

I use Nokia Drive once in a while but that's not part of the daily routine. Drive kills the battery in about 90 minutes with a charger attached. I read that the Nokia DC-20 charger works to keep it charged, so I ordered one of these - I'll report back once I get it. Same goes for playing games - don't do that regularly. That also kills the battery fairly quickly (which is understandable, though, and goes for all mobile platforms).

I'm wondering if there's something on or running that shouldn't be. Do you keep NFC on (I know some Lumia's have had some issue with these)? I read/send about 5-10 emails, 20-30 texts (my friends prefer it over talking on the phone, I only prefer it when I'm in the office), games, pics, watching videos, and playing music (sometimes over bluetooth, sometimes with wired headphones). Oh, and calls (this is a phone after all). I do all of this and still get a good day to day and a half of battery life. Now that I'm settled in and the newness is wearing off, I'm seeing even BETTER battery life. Just conjecture on my part here, but doing so little on it shouldn't force you to charge by 2000, and I'm just wanting to help see if I can't fix it for you.

Some things I've found that help with battery life:
1) Turn off tap+send unless you use it. I have a few tags around, but don't use them. They're more for guests that come over and want to connect to my WiFi and the tags make it quick and easy in that they tap and they're on.
2) If you don't use XBox Music cloud, then go into phone settings->applications->music + videos, and turn off the top two options: connect with Xbox Music and Xbox Music cloud collection. Screenshot below:
wp_ss_20130113_0001.png

Also, I've noticed that with most chargers with ANY phone, the GPS/maps apps will drain the battery while charging in the car (happened with all of my previous smartphones). I haven't found a fix, but I like what you're saying about that charger. Can I get a link to it? I kind of want one now.

imem

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sv: would you recommend buying a 920 after owning one yourself?

I'm wondering if there's something on or running that shouldn't be. Do you keep NFC on (I know some Lumia's have had some issue with these)? I read/send about 5-10 emails, 20-30 texts (my friends prefer it over talking on the phone, I only prefer it when I'm in the office), games, pics, watching videos, and playing music (sometimes over bluetooth, sometimes with wired headphones). Oh, and calls (this is a phone after all). I do all of this and still get a good day to day and a half of battery life. Now that I'm settled in and the newness is wearing off, I'm seeing even BETTER battery life. Just conjecture on my part here, but doing so little on it shouldn't force you to charge by 2000, and I'm just wanting to help see if I can't fix it for you.

Some things I've found that help with battery life:
1) Turn off tap+send unless you use it. I have a few tags around, but don't use them. They're more for guests that come over and want to connect to my WiFi and the tags make it quick and easy in that they tap and they're on.
2) If you don't use XBox Music cloud, then go into phone settings->applications->music + videos, and turn off the top two options: connect with Xbox Music and Xbox Music cloud collection. Screenshot below:
View attachment 26777

Also, I've noticed that with most chargers with ANY phone, the GPS/maps apps will drain the battery while charging in the car (happened with all of my previous smartphones). I haven't found a fix, but I like what you're saying about that charger. Can I get a link to it? I kind of want one now.

Nokia dc-20
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0060VMAHO?tag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU1854600

Skickat fr?n min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2

bono5112

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I love mine sooooo much, I'm on my third one...yes sarcasm. Seriously the 920 has been the best and worst phone I've ever owned. If that makes any sense

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Battery is pretty hit or miss for a lot of people on this forum. There seem to be a lot of different settings, updates and circumstances that affect this. I personally don't use any phone a whole lot, and with my current settings and usage I get maybe 2 days out of a charge in a non-LTE area and about a day in a LTE area. I got a day - tops - with either my iPhone 4S or Droid 2 Global before LTE was even a thing, so I'm actually quite happy with the battery life in my 920. Unfortunately AT&T blocked the setting that allows you to turn off LTE, or else I'd have it off at all times - I don't need that kind of speed on my phone unless I'm tethering. Fortunately I don't live in a LTE area yet, so that doesn't affect me unless I'm traveling.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't, and at the same time I don't regret my decision.

There is a major issue with your phone heating up when playing games like castlemine and wordament.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Absofrigginlutely not. I owned four 920, all with different defects. I'm using an 8x now and it's far better. I owned a 900 for a short while and that thing was built like a tank, the 920 on the other hand... Never have I ever had a phone with even half of the problems...

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
My L920 that I bought at the store on launch day is defect-free. It's a great phone and I recommend it frequently...but the app situation stops many of my friends from making the change to WP.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You do realize 10% is a huge number.

depends on the number. lets take the 4.4 million number that recently came out for lumia 920's sold. so that means 10% is 440,000 people. that leaves 3,960,000 people satisfied. that's the same as saying 9 out of 10 people are happy with your product. from a manufacturing standpoint that is awesome. when you factor in that that 440,000 is worldwide, that number isnt so big. also the fact that nokia is trying to take care of that 440,000 people by replacing their product. so like i said, dont take the people with the issues as being the majority of lumia 920 owners.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Without a doubt I would recommend it. Pre-ordered mine first day and got it 2 days later. Over 2 months and only one soft reset after an update. My battery life is just fine. When I have to work in the data center, my evo would need charging by mid afternoon. Made it all day and still had 90% when I went home. I play quite a bit of wordament and haven't had my phone get hot once.

Acejax805

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I recently purchased the Lumia 920 and I can say, after owning an iPhone and a Nexus device, I like the feel and intuitive-nature of the OS. Guess I got sick of a grid full of icons. The WP8 OS feels more alive and I am getting anywhere between 12-14 hours on moderate to heavy use out of the box. I am a heavy texter and I find the keyboard on the device to be very responsive and easy to use. I also appreciate the beautiful screen on the device as well the build quality. The build quality, after coming from the plastic Android world and the "lighter is better" mentality of Apple, I find the heavier Lumia 920 feels much more sturdy and I feel more confident carrying it around. You cannot go wrong with the Lumia 920.

nather79

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I will recommend it to my friends. But I will frankly tell them both the good and bad thing. And overall it is still a good device and worth to recommend it.

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
If it is anything like my Lumia 810, I certainly would recommend it. The best phone I've ever owned, the whites are super bright and black is soo black. Vivid colors too. Everything just runs so smooth. The NFC and wireless charging is nice.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really sure.

Drawbacks:
- This issue http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/212456-touchscreen-responsiveness-delay.html
- The size (wide and thick, if you don't have gorilla hands you might suffer trying to reach the lower back/home/search buttons if you hold it on one hand)
- Vibration sensor feels weird, like cheap plastic toy
- I don't like the double bezel around the glass, besides dirt gets into it.

First, I don't consider that first bullet point a real concern unless your life is so full to the brim that you can't wait a second for the screen to finish turning on. The second bullet point I must concede to a degree. I have pretty small hands, and hit the search a button every now and then if I'm reaching for the back button one handed. It doesn't happen too much, but it definitely does happen. I can't personally say I've had a problem with either of the other two issues, but I can see the last POSSIBLY being an issue (I don't have my vibration turned on so can't really speak for that one).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss