would you recommend buying a 920 after owning one yourself?

umang_k91

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
i am currently using a lumia 800. Build wise I'd say its the best phone i have seen. My use is rough and yet the phone looks perfectly good. I am considering buying a wp8 device soon. The ativ s is not an option, so its basically between the 920 and the 8x.The 920 being built on the lines of the 800 would be the ideal choice for me. However after reading several posts here I'm not as sure anymore. The 920 seems to have several problems- dust under the screen, restarts, bad battery life, phone heating up and build quality not being up to the standard of the 800. Reading about these things has made me wonder if the 920 is actually the better choice. I am particularly concerned about the battery life problems as thats the one thing i dislike about my 800. i need to charge it twice a day. when i told the nokia care people it lasts only 6-7 hours a day they said thats what it should be and refused to take any action. iv been reading the 8x forums and it seems to have its own set of problems too, but fewer than the ones here. i do get that the people with the problems are more vocal than the others but i find the number of problems experienced here to be extremely high. I wanted to know if everyone is facing some problems or the other with the 920, or just a few people with bad luck on the day. I want to be sure about what i get into before i buy the device, as Nokia Care is quite useless unless the problem is too obvious. I just wanted to know if you'll are enjoying the device as much as you expected to. Thanks

The 8x costs about $100 less than the 920 here in india

Last edited:

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely!

Best phone I have ever owned and hits it out of the park from the camera all the way to call quality and build quality.

Couldn't say the same for my HTC Titan (before the 920) which had terrible call quality and I couldn't wait to get rid of.
HTC abandoned us and was non responsive - ever buying HTC again as a result.

Don't forget Nokia apps!!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
One word - yes.

Multiple words - Despite the problems reported here, there are still countless 920s with no problems at all. Some apps do cause my phone to get hot but I don't have any problems aside from that. I'd happily buy another. It's a great hardware upgrade over the 800 and WP8 has so much more going for it. File syncing still needs to be smoothed out, IMO, but drag/drop usually gets the job done without problem. The AMOLED screen on the 800 is gorgeous but the 920 is no slouch. You'll love the 4.5" screen and higher screen resolution. Plus, PureView and OIS cannot be underestimated. You'll get some great pictures, both day and night, plus your videos will look amazing. The phone is a bit bulky. It may be a problem if you have smaller hands. However, I love the design. It looks excellent and fits great in the hand.

Conclusion - BUY IT!

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
No, I wouldn't recommend 920. I've finally got decent battery life after two devices and 3 months of trial and error. I can make it 12-14 hrs as long as almost everything is off and I don't use it. Camera is point, click, bad picture, adjust settings, try again, adjust settings, try again, adjust settings, try again adjust settings, and finally a good picture. Had dust under ffc on first device, didn't care I don't use ffc, but haven't had problem with this one. I don't find any of the Nokia apps a must have, but that's just me. I'm waiting for next flagship device so I can be done with my 920. Its ok, but for $500 I feel like I bought a mid grade phone with mediocre build quality. Not a top tier phone it was hyped to be.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I both would and have. I do have the issue with the proximity sensor, where the screen wont' come on during calls, but a little bit of compressed air every month or so takes care of it. Still, since my screen got a bunch of tiny scratches (you can't tell unless you lock the screen and angle it right), I've contemplated taking the thing to AT&T about the proximity sensor to see if I can get a fresh one.

That said, there's not another phone out today I would even halfway consider instead of the Lumia 920. The camera's great--I'm not a picture person, but it's made me start taking more pictures than usual, just to play with the settings and such. 32 GB of built-in storage is EXACTLY what I've needed. The audio quality is solid--combined with the storage, I don't even take my Zune HD with my anymore. The OS is nice and smooth (I've only had 2 or 3 reboots in the 2+ months I've had the device; I had to factory reset my Droid Incredible 3 times in under 3 months), and I like the Live Tiles and how they look over the grid icons of iOS and Android. The wireless charging's a great convenience--I have my wireless charger on my desktop tower and just put my phone there to charge whenever it needs it.

If we're talking against the 8X, it's no comparison in my mind. The 8X has half the storage and costs twice as much. On AT&T, you don't get the wireless charging. I don't like the feel of the device either, as the thinness of the sides and the buttons (which are too flush with the body for me) feel weird. I don't like the color options of the 8X (black and that purple-ish blue on AT&T), and while I got a black 920, I actually wanted a red one (but they weren't in-stock yet on release day, and I wasn't waiting). The Nokia-exclusive apps (which I know causes that dreaded fragmentation) are good, and Nokia Music is the best streaming service around, seeing as it is free, ad-free, and allows for offline playlists (meaning no data consumption).

I just think that the Lumia 920 is in a class of its own as an all-around smartphone. Only the PureView 808 tops the camera. If you want the thinness of other devices, you have to take a lower screen size, resolution, or both. To get more apps, you go to what I feel is an inferior UI (Android/iOS). If you want more storage, you have to pay more for your device--LOTS more (at least $100 on-contract, plus the cost of the microSD card). There's just no device that actually tops the Lumia in multiple categories, in my mind.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Would've bought an 8X or waited a few months for better alternatives if I could do it over. I should've know better than to buy a phone from a company on the way out of business.This phone is a prime example of a QC nightmare.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine is going back due to a speaker issue. The front facing camera sucks in more dust than my hoover. The power button is beginning to sink in a bit, only two months old! It is more slippery than a greased Scotsman, and I think Nokia may have invented a new high performance Teflon.

But, would I change it? No way. Hooked on it. It does get warm. My battery is not too bad, unless I use Nokia Music, which seems to rinse it. Although, I may have been streaming via 3g so that could have been it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
No, I wouldn't recommend 920. I've finally got decent battery life after two devices and 3 months of trial and error. I can make it 12-14 hrs as long as almost everything is off and I don't use it. Camera is point, click, bad picture, adjust settings, try again, adjust settings, try again, adjust settings, try again adjust settings, and finally a good picture. Had dust under ffc on first device, didn't care I don't use ffc, but haven't had problem with this one. I don't find any of the Nokia apps a must have, but that's just me. I'm waiting for next flagship device so I can be done with my 920. Its ok, but for $500 I feel like I bought a mid grade phone with mediocre build quality. Not a top tier phone it was hyped to be.

You're doing something really wrong with that camera, if it takes that much trial and error. The only times I have to adjust the settings on my phone is if I am taking a picture of a screen (turning down the exposure to lower the glare in the picture). I did have to change the White Balance yesterday to take a picture of the neighbor's dog when it was from a distance and really sunny, but that's not bad. It's a weird complaint to say that the camera has issues because it is customizable. I personally don't know much of ANYTHING about camera tech, but as I try my Lumia 920 out, I learn what the settings do to the resulting picture and know how to optimize those setting for the best picture beforehand, rather than playing some game of trial and error. Still, I would say that at least 75% of my pictures can be taken with all of the default settings and come out as good photos.

The battery life is a usage thing, and you'll experience that on any platform, really. My phone never really drops below 70% battery, but the Battery Saver constantly rates it as a day or more, with some browsing and occasional gaming (mostly Gun Bros. at this time). If you crank up the brightness, leave everything running all-out, and play games all the time, your battery life will be mediocre on ANY device. I mean, I her beeps of dying batteries from my grandma (iPhone 4S), mom (iPhone 4S), and brother-in-law (Galaxy S III) all the time, but I think I've only had one or two instances in 2 months where my Lumia got into the sub-15% battery life range. I think people honestly just think that batteries are supposed to last you for weeks and refuse to put them on the charger when it's right next to them.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine is going back due to a speaker issue. The front facing camera sucks in more dust than my hoover. The power button is beginning to sink in a bit, only two months old! It is more slippery than a greased Scotsman, and I think Nokia may have invented a new high performance Teflon.

But, would I change it? No way. Hooked on it. It does get warm. My battery is not too bad, unless I use Nokia Music, which seems to rinse it. Although, I may have been streaming via 3g so that could have been it.

Nokia Music doesn't drain mine. All that will drain mine is long sessions of gaming. A common tip is to reset your phone on occasion (I actually don't, though), as it will clear the RAM in case minor processes from things continue running in the background after you close them. I've seen several people on these forums say that their phones would get warm with regular use, they'd reset them, then the phones would cool off right away.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm a former iPhone 4S user (which has the best physical design and build quality I've ever experienced on any smartphone) and I'd say "yes", I would recommend Lumia 920 - overall it's a good phone with a good camera (I only take photos in auto mode, it does produce poor white balance sometimes (my iPhone never had issues with it) but it's pretty rare and I'm sure Nokia can fix it in later software update). I don't have any serious build quality issues - my unit doesn't overheat, doesn't have dust under front camera and NEVER randomly reboots or locks up. If you're afraid of such potential issues - get a better warranty care from whatever seller you're buying it from. The overall battery life has been pretty acceptable (I still have battery charge left by the end of the day even after talking/texting/browsing on it during the day), but it largely depends on what you have installed on your device and which settings you have enabled/disabled. I also don't have any physical damage on the phone's body or its display despite dropping it a couple of times (before I bought a case and screen protector for it) on hard surfaces, so the physical durability seems to also be good so far...
The best advice is you should get this phone at a place where you can easily return it then simply try it out in all possible ways yourself and see if YOU personally will like its physical shape, build quality, picture quality and battery life. If you'll get defective unit - it's fine, these things happen with every major phone brand (my friend got a slightly bent iPhone 5 right out of the box, luckily he opened it in Apple's local store), just exchange it and don't be like many QQ'ing idiots here who start to whine about "HORRRIBLE BUILD QUALITY!!!!1111, NOKIA IS DOOMED!!!1111oneoneone" after getting a single defective unit (I'm exaggerating, but you'll get the point) ;-)

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but with some caveats:

- Know now that there are some battery related OS/App bugs that need fixing. My phone battery can idle using very little power, but more often idles using more power than I'd expect. Given the numerous complaints here and other places, this is definitely an issue, however the fact that my phone can sometimes work how I expect must mean the hardware is not at fault and that as OS updates arrive, it will get fixed. I only charge once a day so it's not that bad, but that is after removing apps like Skype/WhatsApp/Drive.
- When you pickup your phone, check around the speaker area - some phones are missing some finish there. Mine is. It looks irritating if you catch the light at an angle as the finish is different from the rest of the screen and fingerprint grease responds differently. It is not worth me exchanging the phone, but was an unexpected quality issue.
- Screen is amazing
- Camera is good (video excellent)
- Phone gets a little warm after intense GPS/CPU use, but all phones do to some degree
- OS is very fast and fluid and is actually smoother with less lags than my old iPhone 4. Most impressed
- Call quality much better than my old iPhone 4. Speakerphone is good too.

For me, some of the gains were actually WP8 over iOS... love things like Family rooms, OneNote sharing, Unread Email, Back buttons.... but you have those already.

As an ex-iPhone user, I would recommend a 920 though...

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes definitely.

Gorgeous phone. Very fluid compared to android, almost as fluid as iOS apart from web browser speed (which admittedly can use quite some work).

Battery life is good enough to last whole day of moderate use for me (wifi, bluetooth, NFC, 3g, automatic brightness turned on all the time AS LONG AS good reception available). I am beginning to wonder whether those who received poor QC models did so because their batch was one of the first few available or whether it came from different factory sources.

Mr37

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Everything is awesome, battery life is good, Win Phone OS has it's limitations but to be honest the greatest selling point ..... drum roll ...... CAMERA is not what they advertised. Sure awesome video capture but average daylight pictures. I have been a Nokia fan through out my life so sadly I am already waiting for their next 13MP phone, May be I will be able to snap quality pictures without messing with the settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)