would you recommend buying a 920 after owning one yourself?

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Lack of applications

I think this is just as much political as it is small development houses looking for a better place to publish their applications. You just need a couple of big-time players willing to commit to the platform or for a small time developer to find a way to do things more efficiently and show the rest of the community the way. No, I'm not talking about the next Temple Run or hipster app that becomes a Windows Phone exclusive either. We need mainstream applications, but more importantly updated mainstream applications. Getting a game brought to market that is two or three revisions older compared to the iOS and Android variant isn't acceptable. Microsoft applications should work best on Windows Phones, but at the same time should be compelling enough for users on Android or iOS to see how great they are and possibly switch.

Hardware

If your Lumia seems crappy, it probably is. Swap it out. Trust me, complaining to a message board is about as effective as sending a direct email to the guy behind the kiosk in the mall selling cases for everything but your phone. Go to the store, call up Customer Service, use the warranty. Please, don't commit fraud though. The camera is awesome. Audio is awesome. The screen is gorgeous. For what it is supposed to be and do, it's an excellent device. Weighing it on the strengths and weaknesses of other platforms is fine, but isn't the apples to apples comparison you should be making. First, decide which OS meets your needs - WP, iOS, Android or even BlackBerry. Then, compare devices and carriers. Then, make a purchase. This is why people are loyal to RIM despite a perceived lack of innovation over the years. This is why someone coming from iOS to Android might squirm a bit.

Your experience is not typical. It is unique to you and your preferred tastes.

I left my Lumia for Android. Twice. Once with the Lumia 900 and again with the Lumia 920. In the end, Windows Phone spoiled me with things that just work. I see the direction now that Google is taking with Android and I hate it. Eventually what people have liked about the platform will go away and you will have more of a walled garden akin to Apple. I see no reason to continue supporting a company that is being restrictive with their services (Gmail, Maps, etc. on competing platforms) when other companies are doing the opposite.

I really hope that Windows Phone takes off to even greater heights in 2013. It has a perception problem, which is why I think I can relate to it better than any other OS I've tried. It may lack the pizzazz of other operating systems, but it's slicker than **** through a goose. Very stable, very accessible.

killzone killzo

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Depends:

(1) For heavy users (gaming, messeging, browsing), don't get this phone and opt for something that would last longer than 1.5-2 hours with heavy use like the Galaxy S3 / iPhone 4s.

(2) For people who just want to talk and messege, don't get this phone and get the 820 instead, as its cheaper and almost the same in hardware but has a replaceable battery.

(3) For people who are light users who are ok with a 10-15 hour battery life and enjoy a larger screen, this phone is ok for you. But there are other options also like the Samsung Note 2.

(4) For the people in (3) who insist on a windows phone 8, then either get this phone or the samsung Ativ S or wait a few monthes for a moe sturdy phone (from Microsoft or Samsung or a better iteration from Nokia).

Randolph Medrano

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Currently, my phone gets randomly switches off but I would still recommend it. I chose it over the S III because of the OS. Got used to it and I like it a lot, even though i am still hoping for a lot of improvements. Not a fan of a lot of apps, just what I need, though some essential apps (I don't know which ones but for example, instagram spotify etc) are not in the ecosystem yet. The cam has softness issues but I hope another fix for the fix will fix it. Overall, I really like it. I went to bed with 9% battery and woke up with the same percentage. Some phones are good, some are bad, some are defective.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Depends:

(1) For heavy users (gaming, messeging, browsing), don't get this phone and opt for something that would last longer than 1.5-2 hours with heavy use like the Galaxy S3 / iPhone 4s.

this made me laugh. thank you for the laughter before i go to bed. i needed that. but seriously, i can think of some better phones than those 2 to recommend when it comes to battery life. i think you chose the 2 that do not beat out the lumia 920 in battery life. i own a gs3 and use it daily and it definitely (from my experience) does not last longer than my lumia 920. after reading all the compalints on other apple forums about bad battery life after the current ios update, i'd venture to say the iphone is in the same league as the gs3.

feardrew

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely recommend the Nokia Lumia 920. I am a power user spending many hours listening to music and Audible books, surfing via YouTube, navigation, speech to text messaging, etc. Love the battery life. In love with it's photo capabilities. I would hate to own any other phone. I have used other phones. I also know the iPhone and Android system very well, I still prefer Windows phone's os. I wish you the best in your selection.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
depends on the number. lets take the 4.4 million number that recently came out for lumia 920's sold.

That was 4.4 million Lumias sold, not 4.4 million Lumias 920. There are several other Lumia models and it is more than likely that the majority of those sold was older and much cheaper models.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
That was 4.4 million Lumias sold, not 4.4 million Lumias 920. There are several other Lumia models and it is more than likely that the majority of those sold was older and much cheaper models.

thanks. that makes the number in my point even smaller! :D

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sv: would you recommend buying a 920 after owning one yourself?

Nokia dc-20
Nokia DC-20 Dual USB Car Charger - Black:Amazon:Electronics

Skickat fr?n min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2

I would definitely recommend the 920, make sure you get one without the loose/creaking top.

Re the DC-20, it will not be able to keep up with the Nokia Drive induced drain as it has 2 x 1A ports.

You will need a fast charger to accomplish what you require.

I use this: Fast car charger with cables and clips - Accessories - TomTom

I have also read in another thread that the type of cable used matters (charge only or data/charge?) but don't quote me on that.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Definitely, without pause, I'd recommend the 920. I don't have the heat issue, lock ups rarely, and mu battery life is usually pretty good. I don't have an issue with dust under the screen. It is the best phone I've ever owned.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Depends:

(2) For people who just want to talk and messege, don't get this phone and get the 820 instead, as its cheaper and almost the same in hardware but has a replaceable battery.

(3) For people who are light users who are ok with a 10-15 hour battery life and enjoy a larger screen, this phone is ok for you. But there are other options also like the Samsung Note 2.

(4) For the people in (3) who insist on a windows phone 8, then either get this phone or the samsung Ativ S or wait a few monthes for a moe sturdy phone (from Microsoft or Samsung or a better iteration from Nokia).

Depends:

(1) Do you own a Lumia 920? The op needs honest feedback from users of the phone. Not some comments copied and pasted from another forum. It sounds like you don't like the 920 or have never used it, which is ok. Not everyone will like WP. Don't comment if you can't offer first-hand experience.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely! Had mine for a week now, and it's great. Everything on it just works, the battery is good and I find almost every application I use in the Windows Phone Store. The only let down is Spotify, but since it's in the works I don't mind. :)

RitaKS

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I ordered my red Lumia 920 sight unseen from AT&T for Christmas. As it lay under the Christmas tree wrapped in pretty paper, I started reading the tech gurus' reviews and was convinced I would be returning it the day after Christmas. I still have it--walked into AT&T on two different occasions to check out other phones--iphone 5 being the top choice--and both times I walked out smiling and gripping even tighter my Lumia 920 in all it's red brassy glory.

It is a great phone. I am glad I was not swayed by the critics. It is the best phone I have owned and I have had several Androids and the iPhone 4s. My only concern is that I have not drunk the iPhone Kool-Aid. I came out of AT&T feeling as if something was wrong with me that I didn't throw myself at their mercy and beg to exchange my 920 for an apple iphone "anything". Seriously, this phone works as well as any phone I have used, and better than most all of them. I like the live tiles; keeps the screen from being bland. The speakerphone is low during calls, but amazingly, the quality is such that I have no problem understanding what the caller is saying. The phone is heavier than most, but I have no problem forgetting that it is in my pocket. I do have a little trouble balancing it when I am using just one hand to dial, but to me that is not a deal breaker. If I drop it, it won't shatter as some phones are known to do.

I would and have recommended this phone to all of my family and friends. Face it, most any of the smartphones would work for any of us and deliver quality as well, but this phone is simple to use; functions well as a phone and as a technical gadge; is beautiful and has a quality build. Unless you have drunk the Apple Kool-Aid, you will find this phone the best on the market for a myriad of reasons.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb