Wireless charger installed in my truck

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
[WARN]I am not responsible for any damage if you attempt to do this it is all at your own risk.[/WARN]

In this thread I am going to show you how I installed my wireless charger in the console of my GMC truck.

Wirelss charger L920.mp4 - YouTube

First you have to prepare the charging pad to work in your car/truck. To do this you will need a power adapter (cigarette lighter adapter) you can get these at any local car parts store. I got mine at O'Rileys auto parts. The charging pad uses 12V DC at .75A the adapter I bought came with a 5A in line fuse you might want to change this out for a smaller fuse I did. To prepaid the wires you need to remove the plug for the charging pad from the wall outlet adapter. Then cut the end off. You will then carefully strip back the wire. This will expose the center wire and the shield that surrounds the wire in the center.

dave-blake-albums101-26740.jpg

dave-blake-albums101-26741.jpg

The red wire in the center is the +12v the shield is the ground. Fallow the instructions that come with your cigarette lighter adapter to know which wire connects where. I like to solder so a little solder and some electrical tape gets me to this.

dave-blake-albums101-26742.jpg

Now to prepare the console of the truck for the charging pad. With a Philips screw driver take out all the screws that hold the top on the hinge closure.

dave-blake-albums101-26745.jpg

dave-blake-albums101-26744.jpg

You see that there are plastic ribs to reinforce the top and bottom part of the top cover. I used a grinder to grind these flat to make space for the charging pad to sit between the 2 parts. I then marked on the top cover where my charging pad will be located. I drilled a small hole in the top cover center of the charging pad to insure that the charging pad is set exactly where I wanted it. I marked through the hole onto the charging pad making a dot that I could see through the hole on the top cover. I also used this hole to mark the matt. I used the dot on the matt to centered my L920 where it will sit when charging I then marked around it. I used a razor knife to cut out the marked area. Having the matt cut to fit my L920 makes it easy for me to know exactly where to set my phone down to charge. It also works well to hold my phone in place when I am driving.

dave-blake-albums101-26747.jpg

dave-blake-albums101-26748.jpg

dave-blake-albums101-26746.jpg

Then using electrical tape and the hole I drilled I aligned and secured the charging pad to the top cover. I also drilled a small hole in the top cover on the hinge side to allow for the wire to come out between the 2 parts.

dave-blake-albums101-26743.jpg

dave-blake-albums101-26749.jpg

When the top and bottom are screwed back together the space is less than the pad is tall so it sandwiches the charging pad holding it in place. The electrical tape is just to hold everything still while you screw the parts together.

That's it just screw the 2 parts back together plug in your charging pad and your good to go. I am sure this will give you guys some ideas I would like to see what you come up with.

Last edited:

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Very nice job! Too bad not many cars have enough space to put teh charger horizontally... B.t.w, I dunno if placing the phone on your charger in the dark is easy or not, but perhaps adding in a single LED light source nearby will make it easier and visually enhance the charging area ;-)

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Very nice job! Too bad not many cars have enough space to put teh charger horizontally... B.t.w, I dunno if placing the phone on your charger in the dark is easy or not, but perhaps adding in a single LED light source nearby will make it easier and visually enhance the charging area ;-)

I do know if I need a light I haven't driven at night much yet but you did give me an idea. I wonder if I could get a fiber optic line and attach it to the front of the charging pad where the light is then bring it up somewhere so I have a visual that the phone is charging...:amaze:

Nice handiwork. But I am not dare to make it as I am not confident on my craftmanship:)

People are crafty in very different ways so some things aren't for some people. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe you can fined someone to help you with the project.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
There's more than just electrical tape holding the charging pad in place correct?

Oops! I guess I should have said it. When the top and bottom are screwed back together the space is less than the pad is tall so it sandwiches the charging pad holding it in place. The electrical tape is just to hold everything still while you screw the parts together.

Think I'll add that to the OP. Thanks brow.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I do know if I need a light I haven't driven at night much yet but you did give me an idea. I wonder if I could get a fiber optic line and attach it to the front of the charging pad where the light is then bring it up somewhere so I have a visual that the phone is charging.
That might work... Or you can simply de-solder that LED from the charger and use electrical wire to route teh electricity from that point to whatever place you want that LED to be mounted at...
You can even get more creative and use EL (Electroluminescent) wire to "mark" the borders of the charging area - it's cheap and not hard to work with ;-)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre