Issues with Earlier Batch vs. Later Batches?

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if it's just a luck of the draw type of deal with these Lumia 920's or is it pretty obvious that the earlier batches (45/2012 and 46/2012, first or second shipments) have had more issues compared to the later batches? Don't the earlier batches when it comes to gadgets are the ones with the more kinks that need to be fixed?

msualum

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Got a RS# and other non descript numbers. How to tell isn't clear. I have many reboot issues. 😞. Try to exchange this tomorrow.

Matt Fara

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
2 units I received from the later batches both have a much warmer screen.
Compared to my original unit, it looks inferior.
I'm getting another unit, I hope the screen is as bright/crisp as the original

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
2 units I received from the later batches both have a much warmer screen.
Compared to my original unit, it looks inferior.
I'm getting another unit, I hope the screen is as bright/crisp as the original
Besides the screen crispness/brightness, the other known issues that have plagued some Lumia 920 owners aren't present in your 2 Units that are second batches?

Matt Fara

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Besides the screen crispness/brightness, the other known issues that have plagued some Lumia 920 owners aren't present in your 2 Units that are second batches?

Right, in my original unit I have the rattling vibration, as well as creaking when applying pressure to many different areas.
I can push down in the very middle of the screen and it will make a button-like pop when I press and release.
Also when I shake it, there is definitely something loose inside, probably the cause of the vibration rattle.

Unfortunately I would take all these issues over the warmer screen, it looks so inferior, especially when compared to my friend's Ativ S, which is so much brighter and much more vivid.
My original unit compares closely but is still slightly behind in that regard, although I don't mind because I can't stand the blueish tint of looking at a SAMOLED screen at an angle.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Right, in my original unit I have the rattling vibration, as well as creaking when applying pressure to many different areas.
I can push down in the very middle of the screen and it will make a button-like pop when I press and release.
Also when I shake it, there is definitely something loose inside, probably the cause of the vibration rattle.

Unfortunately I would take all these issues over the warmer screen, it looks so inferior, especially when compared to my friend's Ativ S, which is so much brighter and much more vivid.
My original unit compares closely but is still slightly behind in that regard, although I don't mind because I can't stand the blueish tint of looking at a SAMOLED screen at an angle.

I decided to stick with my rattly, dusty, thumpy lumia because of the screen issue. I'd rather figure out what the fix is and open mine up than end up with the different screen.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I could live with the rattling and the creaks of my Lumia 920...but NOT the random restarting and random locking/freezing. The problem with the locking/freezing is that a soft reset won't always wake the phone back up. Sometimes it stays dead for a while and then will randomly let me perform a soft reset. I sent my phone back to Negri Electronics (where I purchased it from). I hope they send me a full refund for the defective item. I'm also hoping that later batches have these issues ironed out so that I can purchase the Lumia 920 again. Unfortunately, it seems that even the later builds have issues also.

DKDogz54

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
It looks like to me that the date indicates the week of the year they were made; like the date found on tires. If this is true, then a week difference isn't enough time to make any improvements.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
My first 920 (original Rogers unlocked batch): week 43
Second 920 (unbranded/unlocked from Thailand): week 47

First one has minor screen scratches despite having been babied. Has locked up twice (where the screen won't turn back on and after forced reboot, loses time setting).
Second one screen is flawless even when carried roughly. Has never locked up.

Just sayin'.

msualum

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok - got a replacement 920. No idea manufacture date, but so far it is rock solid. Process going from old phone to new one was seamless.

mapleleafs89

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Had my 48/2012 920 for 2 weeks now. No dust in FFC as of yet. No creaking of the case anywhere. No lockups yet.

Only getting some **** in between the back and the steel lens plate around because there is the tiniest gap between the poly-carbonate case and that but nothing that matters really.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just as a quick update. I returned my 45/2012 Lumia 920 and got a replaced Lumia 920. Replacement build/batch number is 48/2012. I've only had the replacement phone for a week but SO FAR no crashes/freezes/reboots. My first one froze up on the second day of use so hopefully a week without any crash/freeze/reboot is a good sign. In terms of the other issues: There's slowly starting to have dust build up in the FFC and the phone also is starting to have a slight creak on the bottom left of the device (nothing close to the huge creak on the first phone). These issues are all okay with me, so as long as the battery life is stable and there are no freezing and reboots of the phone. So far so good....

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just as a quick update. I returned my 45/2012 Lumia 920 and got a replaced Lumia 920. Replacement build/batch number is 48/2012. I've only had the replacement phone for a week but SO FAR no crashes/freezes/reboots. My first one froze up on the second day of use so hopefully a week without any crash/freeze/reboot is a good sign. In terms of the other issues: There's slowly starting to have dust build up in the FFC and the phone also is starting to have a slight creak on the bottom left of the device (nothing close to the huge creak on the first phone). These issues are all okay with me, so as long as the battery life is stable and there are no freezing and reboots of the phone. So far so good....

where are these batch numbers located? my replacements didn't come in a box.

Panda858

Banned
Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
My original release handset was terrible, my warranty exchange phone is amazing

the original handset had the logo and at&t on the glass

the new one is just the logo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member