The ATIV S will never be released in the USA

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Samsung pisses me off. I've waited this long...no news, no developments...no rumors...nothing from Samsung about the ATIV S in the USA. I'm not a fan at all of the Lumia 920 (I think it's completely overrated), and not a fan of any HTC product.

It looks as if I may go Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note 2. This is getting absolutely ridiculous...

mersa

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I cannot understand why someone would prefer the Ativ over a Lumia 920 or HTC 8X. As long as Samsung is doing well with their Android devices, they won't put too much effort into WP.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
hmm...

expandable memory... removable battery... physical home button...

a phone that isn't odd shaped and brags about photos...not all of us are looking to go around taking pictures of everything

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I cannot understand why someone would prefer the Ativ over a Lumia 920 or HTC 8X. As long as Samsung is doing well with their Android devices, they won't put too much effort into WP.

So....you can't fathom that in a world full of choices, someone might not want a Nokia or HTC phone?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The one thing you have to give Samsung is, they put out their devices pretty much everywhere.

redoxy

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Samsung pisses me off. I've waited this long...no news, no developments...no rumors...nothing from Samsung about the ATIV S in the USA. I'm not a fan at all of the Lumia 920 (I think it's completely overrated), and not a fan of any HTC product.

It looks as if I may go Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note 2. This is getting absolutely ridiculous...

Unless you want to buy it subsidized, you can buy one from any Canadian carrier and unlock it. Good thing with the Canadian carriers (at least the ATIV S from Bell, which i have by the way), there is no carrier branding whatsoever on the phone and no carrier logo when booting up the phone. Oh and if you think the Lumia is overrated then you will be in for a shock. the only thing going for the ATIV is the micro SD and the removable battery (but keep in mind if you intend to use NFC then, the removable battery advantage diminishes as the NFC is built into the battery. So unless you buy an original Samsung ATIV S battery you will lose NFC functionality). I personally tested the Lumia in store and there is nothing overrated about it. try it out for yourself. The only reason I got the ATIV S was because of Nokia's stupid exclusivity deal with Rogers and to make matters worse offering it only in black.

Cybersonic

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Have you considered the 820? It has the removable battery and expandable memory that you're looking for. As far as shape that is more opinion based so that's more of your decision.

As much as I want more people to buy Windows Phones, but if you're buying a phone on a 2 year contract, pick the phone that you are most happy with. Maybe Samsung will get off their high horse someday and release the phone you want where you want it, or maybe even Nokia/HTC will release a phone that fits your wants/needs.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Let him walk, he's a Samsung guy.

This is a silly attitude, assuming you're a Windows Phone guy. Ideally you should be wanting this software to be available on any and all hardware available, especially one that was announced over four months ago.

VelJharig

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Unless you want to buy it subsidized, you can buy one from any Canadian carrier and unlock it. Good thing with the Canadian carriers (at least the ATIV S from Bell, which i have by the way), there is no carrier branding whatsoever on the phone and no carrier logo when booting up the phone. Oh and if you think the Lumia is overrated then you will be in for a shock. the only thing going for the ATIV is the micro SD and the removable battery (but keep in mind if you intend to use NFC then, the removable battery advantage diminishes as the NFC is built into the battery. So unless you buy an original Samsung ATIV S battery you will lose NFC functionality). I personally tested the Lumia in store and there is nothing overrated about it. try it out for yourself. The only reason I got the ATIV S was because of Nokia's stupid exclusivity deal with Rogers and to make matters worse offering it only in black.

I have the Ativ S on Telus, and I disagree. The last two Windows Phones I've owned (Focus and then Lumia 900) I purchased outright from Rogers, so I'm no stranger to just purchasing and then unlocking a device like the 920. I specifically chose the Ativ S over the 920, after playing with both, for the following reasons:

1. The Ativ S has an HD AMOLED screen... no other Windows Phone has that. I prefer the contrast level on the AMOLED screens (especially for movies and games). The 820 isn't HD, and the 920/8X aren't AMOLED. In my opinion, the screen on the 920 looks inferior to the Ativ S.
  2. Ativ S is the only HD screen device with a microSD slot. I have 80 GB of storage on my Ativ S, of which 44 GB is in use. It is the best device for media that you can't stream, and won't find on XBox music. I could get that on an 820, but would have to give up the HD screen.
  3. The Ativ S is the best device for gaming due to the larger HD screen size, removable battery (games burn down the battery fast), and AMOLED contrast levels.
  4. The Ativ is comparatively light and thin for such a large screen size, which works better for my carry methods.
  5. There are currently lots of accessories for the Ativ S due to its almost identical dimensions to the Galaxy S3.

There are certainly advantages you give up by choosing the Ativ over the 920 - camera capabilities, using touchscreen with thick gloves (Ativ only works with standard MEC polyester gloves) and the support Nokia provides with apps and services - but there are several good reasons to choose the Ativ over the 920. The 920's a good phone, but the Ativ isn't an obvious second choice... they have different strengths as a hardware device. I also personally like the way the Ativ S looks better after seeing them both in person, though I realize that I'm in the minority on that opinion.

Last edited:

Podunks

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the Ativ S on Telus, and I disagree. The last two Windows Phones I've owned (Focus and then Lumia 900) I purchased outright from Rogers, so I'm no stranger to just purchasing and then unlocking a device like the 920. I specifically chose the Ativ S over the 920, after playing with both, for the following reasons:

1. The Ativ S has an HD AMOLED screen... no other Windows Phone has that. I prefer the contrast level on the AMOLED screens (especially for movies and games). The 820 isn't HD, and the 920/8X aren't AMOLED. In my opinion, the screen on the 920 looks inferior to the Ativ S.
  2. Ativ S is the only HD screen device with a microSD slot. I have 80 GB of storage on my Ativ S, of which 44 GB is in use. It is the best device for media that you can't stream, and won't find on XBox music. I could get that on an 820, but would have to give up the HD screen.
  3. The Ativ S is the best device for gaming due to the larger HD screen size, removable battery (games burn down the battery fast), and AMOLED contrast levels.
  4. The Ativ is comparatively light and thin for such a large screen size, which works better for my carry methods.
  5. There are currently lots of accessories for the Ativ S due to its almost identical dimensions to the Galaxy S3.

There are certainly advantages you give up by choosing the Ativ over the 920 - camera capabilities, using touchscreen with thick gloves (Ativ only works with standard MEC polyester gloves) and the support Nokia provides with apps and services - but there are several good reasons to choose the Ativ over the 920. The 920's a good phone, but the Ativ isn't an obvious second choice... they have different strengths as a hardware device. I also personally like the way the Ativ S looks better after seeing them both in person, though I realize that I'm in the minority on that opinion.

I agree completely with your stance, and related positions. I think the 920 looks stupid. I do not want to carry a crayon colored block around. And the Samsung looks so much better, business like etc.

But OMG!!@$@#!@%#$%^ This is getting stupid.... I have lost a vast amount of respect for Samsung, as I was so excited for this phone, and they have missed every rumored release date for the US by leaps and bounds. How terrible of a business practice. I have been waiting for my contract upgrade for 3 months now. And it looks like I will have to switch phones to android... Which is not at all what I want to do.... But this is just ridiculous...

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
This is a silly attitude, assuming you're a Windows Phone guy. Ideally you should be wanting this software to be available on any and all hardware available, especially one that was announced over four months ago.

I agree with your assessment, however at the same time you have to look at reality for what it is. I had a Samsung Focus and was looking at the ATIV S, but like your last sentence said it's been over four months and have made no further mention of it, either it got delayed or its simply not coming. Sometimes you just have to look at reality and see that maybe it wasn't meant to be with the ATIV S and the U.S..

Terry Carter

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You can buy a Samsung Ativ S Windows Phone right now i got one a week ago & OMG i loved it. Just get a unlocked one offline. Got it from Negri Electronics cost 589.00 but well work it!!! I use to use Att but i switched to Net10 (net10 uses ATT towers.) But this phone is awesome!! I love it!!

Terry Carter

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
What are you talking about! I just got my Samsung Ativ S Windows phone last week & i live in the US. I just got a unlocked one off line. Go to Negri Electronics. This Ativ S phone is awesome in everyway so YES you can use a Ativ S in the us i am using it now! I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
What are you talking about! I just got my Samsung Ativ S Windows phone last week & i live in the US. I just got a unlocked one off line. Go to Negri Electronics. This Ativ S phone is awesome in everyway so YES you can use a Ativ S in the us i am using it now! I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!

Is it running LTE on ATT or HSPA?

Edit: Nevermind. Just checked Negri. I'm not paying that much for a 3g phone. LTE has me spoiled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb