Options if I broke my screen and don't have any insurance?

wpadvocate

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just want to evaluate my options. I've gone to a Verizon store already but want to check with the community as well.

When I got my 8X, I didn't get any insurance thinking that I would never break my phone since I never do... Well my screen cracked and multiple spots and looks terrible now.
I'm thinking of going to some store to see if they can fix it. If I go and do this, anybody know how much I should expect to pay? Do I get the same material in the replacement (guerilla glass) or will it be completely different?

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Replacement screens are the same OEM units. However, getting a store to replace it would probably cost around $200-$250 since its a new phone. Doing it yourself is cheaper since you won't pay for labor. But you need to know what you are doing to replace it yourself.

wpadvocate

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea how I would be able to get a replacement screen and go about fixing my phone myself. Plus, I see myself creating more problems, so I'm not going to try to fix my screen myself

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Advice, if you didn't tell Verizon already, try to call them to see if they will add on the insurance, say you changed your mind. Then wait a few days then call it in (you dont call Verizon you call the insurance company).

I looked into the process to change a touch screen in a 8X (I was looking at one with a cracked display at one point), it is a nightmare, you have to pull the entire phone apart (I have fixed a Touch Pro and a Touch Pro 2 displays), the last piece is the display. And never try to replace one part (the touch screen and the LCD), if you try to take the LCD from the touch screen, 95% of the time, you will reck it, unless you really know what you are doing. IT IS NOT EASY PROCCES to do.

You are easly looking at $250-300 in that price range to fix the phone but, I might suggest if you are not going to do it, call HTC they will repair their phones and use that price as a reference to base your repairs off. So when you call around, you'll have an idea on who's got a good price and bad.

I still think it will be around the $250-300 mark though, it's not a quick or easy process.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I would give them a call, you might beable to ship it to them.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Advice, if you didn't tell Verizon already, try to call them to see if they will add on the insurance, say you changed your mind. Then wait a few days then call it in (you dont call Verizon you call the insurance company).

Yeah - because fraud is cool.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Well if you changed your mind then it wouldn't be fraud. If they add it, then you are good. I am pretty sure igsm wireless would take your package. Give them a call and ask how much
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

brianLTE

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear OP. I never get the whole "I never drop my device" objection. They're called accidents for a reason. Best of luck at finding a replacement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb