Battery is good but...

yojoebosolo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
So I've done some thorough checking with my 920's battery, timing with apps and so on, after all the hype about how bad the battery is.
It seems pretty damn good, after both wired and wirelessly charging. Brand new phone however. definitely better than my HTC 8X.

What i have noticed however, haven't seen posts about this yet, is that my phone will stay on 100% for AGES after a full charge. it will say it's 100% for an hour or so after charging both in the settings and in battery analysis apps. even after using it to watch videos and play games and so on. What it is then doing it as soon as it hits 99% it is really fast to go down to 90% and lower.. so basically the software isn't registering the actual level of the battery, that is all.

other people have similar?

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Yup. I think it's something with how the OS is reading the battery. Once you top it off, it may not recognize that it's gone down until 10% is missing, and then trying to catch up (I have no idea if that's what's happening at all, just conjecture). Although, mine doesn't seem to just speed off, either. Maybe 1% an hour or so. I think after a bit, it gets calibrated a bit better and will eventually level out (mine hasn't been as bad about it lately, since I've had it a couple of weeks).

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
this happens to alot of people. its the battery indicator in the OS. needs to be calibrated better or you need to put your phone through more charge cycles so the indicator can get a better reading on your battery use.

edit: looks like me and bawboh were writting the same thing at the same time. :)

yojoebosolo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Exactly that yea, i was getting a different message from what i was reading, that people's battery literally went from 100% (on charge) to 42% but it is not the case at all... I agree also that the phone 'works out' what real % it is at after a while too and puts it to the correct %..

Ps. when is Portico update coming to Lumia's on Orange/EE?! had it on my HTC 8x and now miss it.

yojoebosolo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Quick thought:

If it's really bad and showing 100% when at an actual 50% when you put it on charge at an actual 51% (so still showing 100%) does the feature that turns off charging, to stop overcharge, disallow the phone from charging any more until it is no longer 100%??!

Hope that makes sense.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I think that that's built into the battery itself. Then there's the fact that the battery should discharge to 90% after hitting 100% (trickle charge) to prevent from overcharging is also built into the battery.

yojoebosolo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I think that that's built into the battery itself. Then there's the fact that the battery should discharge to 90% after hitting 100% (trickle charge) to prevent from overcharging is also built into the battery.
Hope it's built into the battery and not the OS - otherwise bugs like this could kill batteries pretty quickly ... o_O

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720