Outgoing voice issue?

Kinalyx

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Im having an issue when i answer my phone. It seems as tho the phone doesnt want to pick up my voice, or at least not well, for the first few seconds of the call. I have had several people say "you sound really far away, or in a box" or something similar, and when i ask what they mean, they say i sound fine by then.

Anyone else having an issue like this? I know on some phones they dont actually pick up right away so no sound goes thru, but this is muffling my voice for a couple seconds after pick-up and its getting really frustrating.

Shawn

andjography

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Im having an issue when i answer my phone. It seems as tho the phone doesnt want to pick up my voice, or at least not well, for the first few seconds of the call. I have had several people say "you sound really far away, or in a box" or something similar, and when i ask what they mean, they say i sound fine by then.

Anyone else having an issue like this? I know on some phones they dont actually pick up right away so no sound goes thru, but this is muffling my voice for a couple seconds after pick-up and its getting really frustrating.

Shawn

I'm having some issues as well regarding voice calls. I don't know if what causing the problem is the signal here in my house (1-2bars), or the phone itself. I've had people say that they can't hear my voice, or the call keeps breaking off. Also, some of friends had said that they were trying to call me, but my phone was off and even said, 'since when did you turned off your phone?' when in reality, it was open all the time.

Anyone else having the same issues? if so, what did you do so fix it? Should I return my phone and get it replaced?

NinjaPenguin777

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
My girlfriend told me my voice sounded kind of far away when I first got the phone. One issue that remains during my calls is a random beeping that will occur after 5-10 minutes. It sounds like someone hitting a number button on their phone. Just a quick beep and it randomly happens throughout phone calls. The other person isn't hitting their number pad and neither am I.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
happens to me as well. (on both phones i got my first one replaced) do not cover any of those speaker grills near the USB port. apparently the mic is in there and won't pick up anything. I have tested this by calling another cell phone in a different room and have a person say if they can hear me. they can't hear if the ports are covered. also if you put your phone at an angle it might not pick up either.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just make sure the microphone isn't muted. I know it sounds stupid but I made that very same blunder yesterday on my HTC. That's aimed at those whom the other end isn't picking up any sound at all (if I've read it correctly there are a couple of people here with that issue, even if not the OP)

Kinalyx

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Gah, this problem is driving me insane, I am going to assume that a hard reset or factory reset isnt going to do much of anything for me considering i got the phone used and it had been factory reset before it was sent to me.

lennyk1313

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Had the same issue today. Twice speaking to people told me that they could not hear me or i was breaking up while i heard them perfectly fine.

Doraso

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
This seems to be a common issue. Have this aswell. Have read alot about this and many users think this is because of the Noice cancellation microphone. I have tested a bit and this only happens to me when I hold the phone in an angle away from the mouth.

Br D

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If you have your Lumia in a case or skin, make sure it does not cover the microphone holes at the top of the phone to the right of the headphone jack (they are very small and hard to see, which is probably why some case and skin manufacturers did not put cutouts for them). It seems to cause issues with the noise cancellation, causing poor sound when you talk. I thought my phone was defective as people told me I was breaking up badly or that there was something wrong with my phone until somebody pointed out the top mic in a post. I took my case off on calls when people complained about my voice, and it cleared up my problem. I have since cut a hole in my TPU case so it no longer covers the mics and the problem is solved. I actually did a test calling an echo back phone number, talking with my finger covering the mic and without, and I clearly heard it cause issues with my voice. If you try using a bluetooth and do not have the sound issues, that would prove it is not a reception issue. I know there are posters who are having the issue with a naked Lumia, but I am wondering how many others are blaming the phone when the issue could be a case that was designed incorrectly that covers the top mic.

Kinalyx

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
mine is completely naked, and when i have the issue i move the phone to plenty of different angles, sometimes moving it works, sometimes it doesnt, but i dont know if it would have just fixed without moving the phone as that has happened a couple times as well.

Shawn

eliza78

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I have my phone naked because I was constantly having the other person tell me they couldn't hear me. It still has the same problem. I'm getting a replacement phone today, but I'm not holding out any hope that it will be any different.

eliza78

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My case had a hole for the top mic as well. It doesn't matter if my phone is naked or not, It still has the outgoing voice issue.

Kinalyx

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, im not sure what to do either, im pretty positive that nokia doesnt have any yellows for replacement. I would possibly take a cyan, but theyre out as well, even the red is hard to find. Black and white are out of the question for me. If the voice issue keeps up, ill e-bay the phone and go back to android i guess.....which i really dont want to do.

Shawn

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine is naked. Not had it happen since I last posted. I am thinking the angle I had it positioned did nit help. Had the bottom of the phone pointing away from my mouth a bit as it was plugged in to a charger.

Watcher Ter

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Had the same issue, what i did is: tried to keep phone close to my cheek so my voice won't be recognized by phone as an out side noise. It resolved the problem right away.

bradbamford

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Lumia 920, this happened to me on the first call. The lady on the other end told me she couldn't hear me very well. I hope it can be fixed in a software update. I was afraid this is just the ATT network, as I'm coming from T-Mobile where I never had voice issues as long as I had coverage.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You can find out if it mic related or reception related by trying bluetooth or speakerphone to see if it makes a difference. With some users having symptom with naked phones similar to what I had with a case covering my top mic, I wonder if there are some phones that are having problems with the top noice cancelling mic. Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)