Skydrive + Documents + Email Attachments HELP...

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I have moved over from using Drop Box on my old android phone to Skydrive on my Lumia 920. But I am having issues...

Firstly, if want to download a document from skydrive onto my phone so I can email it, I cannot seem to be able to do this. I saw an option to email a link, but that is no good as where I work all skydrive, dropbox sites are blocked so I cannot download the link. Surely I can email a document from skydrive?

Secondly, I have email with PDF attachments, I download them on the email link then open them, where do they then go. I want to upload them to my skydrive account, but when I open office on the phone it does not see these documents, even under email attachments, am I doing something wrong, when I have the PDF open from the email I cannot see a save option anywhere either?

It would appear email attachments, documents and then skydrive all work independently rather than together, surely this is not correct and I am just not doing something correctly?

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to send the direct files from email or sky drive in wp8.

For sending an office document you have stored on SkyDrive:

Open the file from the office hub. Edit or view, etc. Then click the options on the bottom right (...) and click (save as). Sane it to your phone. Once it is done then click the options on the bottom right (...) and select share. Select tour email source and it will launch an email with the actual document attached.

For all email attachments:

When you open them in the email they are locally stored on your phone. You can then find them in the office hub under email. Click the options on the bottom right (...) and select share. Select your desired email and it will launch the email with the document attached.

Or you can find the email attachment under email in the office hub, long press the file desired until the options pop up, and select "save to" and then sky drive.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi Troyseth

Thanks for this. I tried the first option to save the document from Skydrive to my phone, this will not work as it is not an office document, it does seem to work with office documents though. I would have presumed I could save anything and attach it but that does not seem the case. Shame!

As for email attachments, I have opened two PDFs from received emails but when i go into office hub they are no where to be seen and when I have them open I have no option to save.

I think I will invest Mail Plus as per gapost suggestion. But I have to admit it seems mad that I cannot save email attachments easily and also email files from Skydrive unless they are Office docs.

I love the phone and WP8 but have to admit, that android and dropbox was a much better solution in this scenario than WP8 and Skydrive.

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Upon further investigating, there is definitely a lack of ability to email attachments. These are the options so far.

Forwarding an email will send the attachment with it ( of course)

To view a pdf locally on your phone after it is downloaded from an email, it is actually stored in the pdf reader app. You can't send it, which is a shame, but that is where it is stored after it is viewed from the email.

You should be able to download a pdf to your phone if it is already somewhere on your sky drive. I have multiple pdfs stored on my sky drive and I go into the office hub, click SkyDrive under places, find my pdf in whatever folder, press and hold the pdf until the option to share pops up. Clicking share then shows "downloading" and then the email option appears and I can send the desired pdf as an attachment.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Cheers for the info Troyseth, it's pretty poor huh, this is the only real downside I have found with the phone. They say it also aimed at business users etc, but if you cannot seamlessly work with email attachments and skydrive etc it blows. I hope dropbox release an app soon!

And great tip on PDFs being kept in PDF reader, never knew that, saves me downloading the same PDF from an email time after time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo