What is considered normal battery life?

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
If your phone was left untouched through the 10 hours and is at 70% your battery is not good or you have too much things running on your phone. Based on your previous post, i dont see that is the case. I would check your email/account settings if it is stuck "syncing". I would put your phoen on idle, wait a few minutes and turn it on and see what your signal sign says, does it show low bars and then increases or is it consistently the same everytime you put on idle and turn back on.

I had a phone that had an issue with reception while on idle, everytimei turn on the phone from idle, my reception would show no signal or no bars then gradually increase. I would check my email/account settings and there would be errors, after 20-30 seconds everything would sync up again. I eventually exchanged the phone.

So if your signal bar is the same everytime you turn on the phone from idle, it could just be a bad battery or app running constantly.

I have terrible reception at my house. Every time I turn it on it says 1 bar 4g. We never have had good reception here even at 3g which is 2-3 bars.

But i don't have email sync issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if your phone is flip flopping on networks trying to get better signal. Have you tried going straight 3g? so 3g runs constantly instaed of trying to go LTE? Not saying you should have to do this, but you should try to determine the issue.

I would try that, on the phone that i had issues with signal on idle, i put the phone on 3g only and it improved my battery life. People might say "of course 3g uses less than LTE", but the issue was when the phone was on idle unused.

I would do that for a couple days, if your battery drains still, then you got a bad battery. If your battery performance improves significantly, it could be the signal the phone is trying to obtain. Then you have to determine if the issue is your location or the issue is the phone being defective where it cant get a reception.

On my defective phone, I knew my location had great LTE and 3g coverage so there was no way its my location, it definitely was my phone that sucked.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The deal is that WP8 has some issues... I have graphed that my phone can use < 1% battery overnight, with email checking on 6 accounts in real time.

However, when you start to use the phone you get random battery drain. (And I mean excluding Skype, WhatsApp, Drive that we know leak battery)

There doesn't appear to be logic behind what the phones do. I know it's not hardware because my phone can use no power, so it must be an OS issue in that some apps are being permitted to run in the background, or the OS runs some tasks that are left running etc.

I am hoping the next OS update fixes this.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if your phone is flip flopping on networks trying to get better signal. Have you tried going straight 3g? so 3g runs constantly instaed of trying to go LTE? Not saying you should have to do this, but you should try to determine the issue.

I would try that, on the phone that i had issues with signal on idle, i put the phone on 3g only and it improved my battery life. People might say "of course 3g uses less than LTE", but the issue was when the phone was on idle unused.

I would do that for a couple days, if your battery drains still, then you got a bad battery. If your battery performance improves significantly, it could be the signal the phone is trying to obtain. Then you have to determine if the issue is your location or the issue is the phone being defective where it cant get a reception.

On my defective phone, I knew my location had great LTE and 3g coverage so there was no way its my location, it definitely was my phone that sucked.

I have thought about that being the issue after reading about that in some other threads. However ATT has this locked down. So in my opinion its not something I should have to mess with. It's a fault of the carrier so I would rather just replace it half a dozen times since att wants to be stupid about it.

I may try it but don't think I should have to.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I tried this on my phone. It saves and in the settings it says 3g however when I am on the phone itself it still only shows one bar and 4g like it's not saved. I tried rebooting it several times and every time it is saved and says 3g in the diag menu but when I pull down the info from the top it says 4g

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
try turning off toggle and then rebooting. I believe i did that and it fixed. When if first did it, i changed from automatic to 3g, i would go back and see it would be on automatic again. I think i toggled the toggle thing off and then rebooted and then 3g stayed.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
try turning off toggle and then rebooting. I believe i did that and it fixed. When if first did it, i changed from automatic to 3g, i would go back and see it would be on automatic again. I think i toggled the toggle thing off and then rebooted and then 3g stayed.

I did that, it stayed through several reboots in the diag menu but always showed 4g on the phone itself.

rcx84

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I was sick over the weekend so after I charged my phone Friday night, I didn't charge it the entire weekend again including Monday (so a total of 3 days). I did maybe an hour worth of phone calls, maybe 3 hours of web browsing, no video games, and maybe one youtube video. I was on WiFi (Wireless N @ 5GHZ instead of 2.4GHZ), GPS is enabled, NFC is disabled, Bluetooth off, AT&T LTE constant 4 bars, Location on, Phone tracking on. Background tasks were: Chase Mobile, Gasbuddy, Metrotube, Weather, and Nokia Drive was BLOCKED.

Was @5% by the time I went to charge Monday night after ~60 hours.

On the other hand, I noticed my phone was a bit warm the next day after getting off the metro and saw it had drained 20% in 2 hours. Didn't see the GPS symbol on tho, did a quick restart, and was on my way with 40% at the end of the night.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok I think it's definitely a software issue. After messing around with the 3g/4g settings and getting everything back to normal (which included several reboots) I noticed it sat on the same percentage for 3 1/2 hours.

So I guess I will just get into a habit of restarting the phone daily.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok I think it's definitely a software issue. After messing around with the 3g/4g settings and getting everything back to normal (which included several reboots) I noticed it sat on the same percentage for 3 1/2 hours.

So I guess I will just get into a habit of restarting the phone daily.

It isn't about restarting so much as it is to do with radios. 4 days, I haven't restarted. Only made sure my phone isn't using data all the time. In 4 days ive only charged one time. Maybe will need a charge tonight.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
It isn't about restarting so much as it is to do with radios. 4 days, I haven't restarted. Only made sure my phone isn't using data all the time. In 4 days ive only charged one time. Maybe will need a charge tonight.

I don't see how people can make it that long without charge. I have tried everything over last three months and the best I can do is 3-4%/hr, in standby. Do you even use your phone? I'm a casual user in a good LTE market and my phone is 50% by the time I get home in evening and would be dead by next morning. How? Are you on 3g or WiFi only? I can live with 3-4%/hr but I wouldn't complain if it was better.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I thought I had my problem solved by rebooting my phone but then today I have had my phone off the charger for 17 minutes and my phone has dropped from 100% down to 80% in those 17 minutes. I tried rebooting to kill any programs running but it's still draining that fast afterwards.

:-(

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I thought I had my problem solved by rebooting my phone but then today I have had my phone off the charger for 17 minutes and my phone has dropped from 100% down to 80% in those 17 minutes. I tried rebooting to kill any programs running but it's still draining that fast afterwards.

:-(

Well just a short time after posting this without doing anything my battery leveled out and I am only at 77% now.

Makes no sense.

djdurance#WP

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Test this: leave your phone for 3 hours without touching it. And then check the % drain. If its more than 2% per hour then you've got something hurting your standby battery life.

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm so depressed about my battery life. Used to get some longer times with my iPhone.

Does whatsapp REALLY make a difference in battery life ? If so .. I'm deleting it..
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how people can make it that long without charge. I have tried everything over last three months and the best I can do is 3-4%/hr, in standby. Do you even use your phone? I'm a casual user in a good LTE market and my phone is 50% by the time I get home in evening and would be dead by next morning. How? Are you on 3g or WiFi only? I can live with 3-4%/hr but I wouldn't complain if it was better.

I keep all data connections off. So literally making it a dumb phone. Only sms and calls. I'm a heavy texter though. 150-170/day.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm so depressed about my battery life. Used to get some longer times with my iPhone.

Does whatsapp REALLY make a difference in battery life ? If so .. I'm deleting it..

Whatsapp
Nokia Drive beta
Skype beta
Nokia Music

Makes a happy difference.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't know about whatsapp but we use GroupMe and it definitely has a major effect on the battery. Most Messaging apps do imo.

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers