Live tiles help

siriustds

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I just got a 920 yesterday , and till now the feel is nice and sturdy...phone is good ..touch also, i switched from android .

Pros:
1.Better UI i think than android and even apple, i have an ipod touch and ipad and i dont use them at all...window feels fresh imo.
2.Faster loading than android, my decision was between S3 and lumia 920 , but i used s3 for 1-2 days from a friend, and it sometime used to hang little and had a feel of cheap plastic..
3.Great camera ,i took some night photos and they look just great, very happy with the camera, also one of the plus point is the dedicated camera button no the side, i was missing this in my other phone , it makes taking picture much more easy and fun i think.
4.email and social integration was good i think..but app support is weak , skype worked considerably well..
5.Voice clarity and speakers are great..

Cons:
1.While using some power hunger apps ,the back started warming up very fast, i didnt use them too much or something , will check if it heats up as told in forum here..
2.Battery life is not so good..i charged since yesterday and batter is at 60 % now , with wifi and data connection always on..location services i have switched off, maybe after some tweaks it will be better
3.Less App support ..i think Microsoft needs to take care of this, get many apps as possible and try to increase the market place, iOS and andriod are way ahead, but i think it will get better in time..some apps are nowhere the same as in other market places.
4.One more thing i was missing from andriod was the notification center which you have in both droid and ios , i hope they find some way to over come that...or collaborate it one place somehow.

One thing which bothered me was live tiles dont update properly..anyone know about it ?

Well will check out more and comment..overall satisfied till now :)..

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
well thanks for your review and welcome to WP :)

BUT: The title of your thread says that you need help, but I couldn't find out where...

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
1 and 2 indicates problem with apps not closing properly. remember, your smartphone is a computer that fits in your hand. as with any computer, it needs to be power cycled regularly, which means that you shouldn't have it on constantly for months. i suggest turning the phone completely off once a week which helps with stability a lot. also besure to go into settings, swipe right for applications, go to background and block everything that is not absolutely necessary (or desired) because they are battery drainers if you do not use them on a regular basis. i suggest only leave apps that you need or use daily there.

microsoft confirmed that they are working on a notification center and it will be coming this year

siriustds

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I mentioned little about the tiles , but forgot to modify the title :), cudnt see where to change the title of thread

@James:Yes , will block the most unsued apps in the settings and power cycle it ..i still have to charge it fully though , maybe cause of that. and about notification center its good news :)
This is a good phone actually,it would be a shame if they didnt make it better from the apps end, i think they have all the resources at their disposal.

well thanks for your review and welcome to WP :)

BUT: The title of your thread says that you need help, but I couldn't find out where...

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Some apps take a while before updating their tiles for the first time. I remember USA Today was one of them. How often it updates is up to the app writer. Some do it once a week or longer. Some do it as often as every 15 minutes.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Could you be more specific in the live tiles not updating? Like which apps? As for the battery life, mine was bad too, but after a week, it "fixed" itself. One thing that you unknowingly do with a new phone is the honeymoon period, where you use it much more than you normally would even if you don't feel like you do. Other than that, check your background apps in the settings, shouldn't have more than 7 probably. Turn NFC off if you don't use it much. Watch out for Nokia Drive. If you use it then don't stop navigation and hit the Start button, it will continue running which is a huge battery drain.

mandartd

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I am facing this same unusual problem of the Background Tasks / apps suddenly ceasing to work on my unlocked Lumia 920. This in turn prevents the Live Tiles from getting updated periodically and automatically as well!

Both the Live tiles as well as the Lockscreen related to most of my commonly used apps namely, Photostream, Weatherflow, Zapi Battery, CNN, BBC, WP Central, Endgadget, USA Today, Week View 8 and Locktemp, dont seem to update at all. None of these apps have been blocked!

Earlier, I used to have 15 apps with live tiles running without any issues, but since yesterday this issue has started and I currently have 10 apps (list as given above) with background task enabled (I blocked 5 apps just to check if this is the issue). I also did a soft reset my lumia 920, but in vain. Problem still persists, even after doing all this!

Also, when this issue started happening, the battery power was more than 50%.

I seriously am concerned since the essence of WP8 is the live tiles!

Honestly, don't intend to hard reset, which will not only result in loss of data, but also is an absolute waste of time!

Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks.

Mandar
Mumbai, India

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte