My Lumia 920 went from 70% to 0% while I was sleeping for 7 hours

Snow

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
My Lumia 920 went from 70% to 0% while I was sleeping for 7 hours wtf? Ended up late for school cus my alarm did not ring as my phone died. Any solutions ?

anon(4745364)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Seems like this is happening to more and more people. I'm assuming its in correlation with us downloading more apps as it seems some of them don't "turn off" when we close them. I've had this problem for about two weeks now. Don't really know the culprits and to be honest I only have about 8-10 apps on the thing so I'm worried about downloading more.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I can definitely see that there may be a problem but that said, why exactly would you go to sleep for 7 hours (or more) and NOT plug your phone in? I know other people who do this and I just don't get it. Even if the phone doesn't go down to 0%, it just seems silly not to plug it in. One can assume that after you wake up, you're going to be awake for a while and need/want your phone pretty much at 100%. It will always go down some amount when you leave it sit that long. I always plug my phone in when I go to bed regardless of how much is left on there simply because I know I will want it at 100% when I wake up. P.S. Also never understood anyone who depends on cell phone alarm. To many things can go wrong there. :shocked:

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
What Connie said, common sense, really. Plus, before going to bed, turn off the phone, wait a minute, then plug it in. Turning it off/on will close any open apps that might cause surreptitious battery drain.

Snow

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I can definitely see that there may be a problem but that said, why exactly would you go to sleep for 7 hours (or more) and NOT plug your phone in? I know other people who do this and I just don't get it. Even if the phone doesn't go down to 0%, it just seems silly not to plug it in. One can assume that after you wake up, you're going to be awake for a while and need/want your phone pretty much at 100%. It will always go down some amount when you leave it sit that long. I always plug my phone in when I go to bed regardless of how much is left on there simply because I know I will want it at 100% when I wake up. P.S. Also never understood anyone who depends on cell phone alarm. To many things can go wrong there. :shocked:
woah woah chill. This topic ain't about why people do not charge their phone while sleeping.. Besides normally you should only charge your phone for 3 hours. Look, the big issue is why the phone went from 70% to 0% in 7 hours while IDLE not why somebody din charge his while while sleeping, sigh.

NinjaPenguin777

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
woah woah chill. This topic ain't about why people do not charge their phone while sleeping.. Besides normally you should only charge your phone for 3 hours. Look, the big issue is why the phone went from 70% to 0% in 7 hours while IDLE not why somebody din charge his while while sleeping, sigh.
Exactly

Why is it that I've only heard excuses like this from Windows Phone owners on this forum? I've had a cell phone since 5th grade maybe. So that's a good 12 years or so. I've never had an issue with any of them dying overnight. This includes my iPhone that I had for 2 years. There should be very little discharge from your phone overnight seeing as you aren't using it. So really, charging it is unnecessary. I've never had an issue with my alarm not going off unless I just forgot to set it or turned it off. I love my Lumia 920, but this battery issue is ridiculous. I can't wirelessly charge my phone because it makes the battery drain absurdly fast. Making phone calls sucks because my phone gets hot. That's not normal. I'm getting my phone replaced so hopefully those things will end, but stop making excuses for crappy design. That's something that Apple does. Blame the consumer: Clearly its not a design flaw, you're holding it wrong. So whether it's the phone or the operating system or both, it needs to be fixed.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
No sympathy for people who don't plug their phone in when they're sleeping and then complain about the battery dying.

That's such a small YOU problem its not even worth the bandwidth you wasted starting this thread.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Any solutions ?
Several
1) Plug in your phone at night
2) hammer the back arrow repeatedly to exit out of all apps before you go to bed
3) Settings->Applications->Background processes - find out whats running, decide if you need it running in the background, turn it off if not.

Those are the first three, let me know if you need more solutions.

decimus plancus

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

I'm with you on this one. Sometimes you just don't want to/can't have it plugged in overnight. I have been using cell phone alarms for over a decade. Ignore the hate.

Back to the issue, is the battery draining repeatable? Occasionally I notice the battery seems to be draining much faster than excepted but never seem to be able to reproduce it. Perhaps I should be more patient and not reboot it at that point.

brianLTE

May 30, 2012
Visit site
No sympathy for people who don't plug their phone in when they're sleeping and then complain about the battery dying.

That's such a small YOU problem its not even worth the bandwidth you wasted starting this thread.

Your attitude is bad and you should feel bad.

How dare OP assume his battery isn't going to die when his phone is at 70% when he goes to sleep.

Here's something useful OP, check the threads for improving battery life. Also do a back up of your phone and consider restoring it. I did the same and found better results with my battery.

Hope this helps.

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the tip about the back arrow. Back up till you cant go any further.

I had a similar problem. I think that the Draw Something game (which is a well-known terrible port) was eating my battery. This is because it shows tile notifications even when you turn them off, and turn off syncing with xBox. So I'm 99% sure there are some apps out there that were coded poorly and don't follow the rules.

I resolved my issues by taking the following steps. Now I drain at 1-2% / hr.

1) Hard reset phone

2) Before installing any 3rd party apps, go through every crevice of every setting and app. Disable anything (WITHIN REASON - For example, do you really need WiFi on all the time?) that you suspect would eat battery or connect uselessly to the internet. After you get a baseline of your new battery performance, you can re-enable things as desired. Make sure to enable battery saver mode for when your battery gets low. That's a good failsafe.

3) Set up all of your accounts (email, Facebook, etc.)

4) Set email to SYNC "as items arrive". From my experience, this actually uses less battery. Defies logic, but it definitely seems that way. I use 2 accounts: Outlook.com and corporate Exchange. So I don't know if Google sync is an issue, but I'd be willing to guess ;-)

5) Install 3rd party apps (no games yet), one at a time, and tune the settings of each one after you install it, before moving to the next one. Make sure to check if each one is running a background service, and disable it. I only have one background service active (My Stocks Portfolio live tile).

Charge it and use it for a couple of days. Things should improve greatly.

Then you can go install games and see if that's killing you. I'm going 36 hours between charges. The point is to start with a fully optimized system, and not pile on all of your apps and games at once. Optimize the settings, then install apps one at a time, allowing enough time between the killer apps to adequately gauge battery life. It requires patience. But it's the only way you're gonna figure out the real culprit.., slow and methodical process of elimination. For me, it was very well worth it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with blowing up your phone a few times (i.e. hard resetting) in order to figure out the configuration that works best for you. But I came from the wild wild west (a.k.a. Android), where I was hard resetting every 4 days to try to figure out a way to get my battery to last over 5 hours.:grin: I don't miss that.

Last edited:

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Several
1) Plug in your phone at night
2) hammer the back arrow repeatedly to exit out of all apps before you go to bed
3) Settings->Applications->Background processes - find out whats running, decide if you need it running in the background, turn it off if not.

Those are the first three, let me know if you need more solutions.

Ditto on these suggestions. I back out of all programs unless I want them still running, block background operation of any apps I do not want to run in the background (which is most of them), and charge my phone every night. I also keep all of my apps upgraded to the latest level. After a long day, lately I have been going to bed at night with 30% to 60% of the battery charge still available. Some people could have problems with their phones, but at least for me, managing apps and background operation seems to make my battery life great. I also agree, no matter what smart phone you are using, charging it overnight is highly suggested, especially if you depend on it as an alarm to wake you up.

decimus plancus

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 920 went from 70% to 0% while I was sleeping for 7 hours wtf? Ended up late for school cus my alarm did not ring as my phone died. Any solutions ?

Do you have Batter Saver mode enabled (think by default it turns on at 20% power). This really does extend the battery life as it halts pretty much all background tasks (both app and OS initiated).

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no reason he should have to plug in his phone at night if he doesn't want to. Anyone suggesting that he should somehow have to worry about his phone idling from 70% to 0% at night is an idiot. From 70% to 55%, sure. But NO ONE using a modern smart phone should have wonder if their alarm is going to go off when they leave it unplugged at 70%.

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

I would try just cycling the power of the device, i.e. power off in the normal way and then power on before going to bed and then put it into stand by.

I have noticed that when my battery has been draining faster than usual (occasional) then power cycling works. It works very well if you power off, allow the device to cool down and then power back on.

I think that there is some sort of feedback loop/thermal runaway thing going on here. The hotter the battery is the quicker it discharges, the quicker it discharges the hotter it gets, and so on. Getting it cooled down seems to significantly reduce discharge rate.

God bless

Andrew

CatFoodScience

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
The only time my battery had abnormally drained was when I accidentally hit the Nokia Drive app, then hit the windows button, and forgot it was running in the background. The GPS polling killed my battery in 4-5 hours. That's one app I removed from the start screen so that I don't ever accidentally hit it. I love the drive app, but i'm also very careful to back back back out of it when i'm done.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, no reason to turn off your phone when it's at 70% prior to hitting the hay. I mean, I get 2 full days out of my phone with minimal use, so that also implies I'm not charging my phone when I'm going to bed.

Though I still have to reboot the phone after it comes off the charger. Simply because it will have an unusual high drain otherwise.

knobturner75

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'll chime in with some of my discoveries. I had a weird volume issue with my first 920. I exchanged it, and my new one does the wonderful locking up, but only every 3-4 days. Since this phone likes to lock up when left on the charger, I have been experimenting with different charging times and watching battery life. On to what I have learned.

I installed battery sense on this phone, and uninstalled it to try to eliminate the locking up. When I uninstalled it, I realized my battery actually lasted much longer. So, my experience tells me, the battery apps while nice, they do chip away at your battery.

Also, I installed bringcast to catch one of my favorite podcast that I can't get through the marketplace. This app sucked my battery dry. Like 10% an hour or more while idling. The app is allowed to run in the background, and the phone won't let you control it (under the advanced section of background tasks). There may have been a setting in the app that I missed to solve this. Once I realized how it drained my battery, I uninstalled it.

Last thing here. I worked a night shift last night, and to start the night off my phone was losing battery life quite quickly. It lost 15% in less than 2 hours, with very little usage. The strange thing is, it didn't act up yesterday. Well, I ended up charging my phone fully while I was driving. I took it off the charger at about 9 PM, and a little while later, it locked up a little differently than usual. I did a soft reset, and since then, it has been fine. The phone is currently at 42%, and I'm typing this long message on it. Honestly, I'm amazed at the life I can get out of my phone. One day I had my Bluetooth headset on standby for 8 hrs, I talked for a little over an hour during that time, I played about 15 minutes of games during the day, when I got home I used my phone like normal (surfing the web, reading WP Central :), and playing games) and I went to bed with over 40% battery left. I'd say don't be afraid to experiment. Check the advanced menu in the background tasks area, and try to eliminate the pigs that are unnecessary. Also, you mentioned that your phone gets really hot. Whatever is causing that, is more than likely the culprit, more than anything. That heat is just wasted energy. Hopefully the new phone will serve you much better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb