My Lumia 920 went from 70% to 0% while I was sleeping for 7 hours

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The issue is random... just when people think they've found it, they haven't.

Almost every app has been suggested to date. Simple fact is it's any or all of them because it's the OS!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The issue is random... just when people think they've found it, they haven't.

Almost every app has been suggested to date. Simple fact is it's any or all of them because it's the OS!

It's not the OS on its own. I am trying a vanilla OS, with no additional apps installed, instead a few removed. With only ME tile for notifications and in-built messenger chat for communications. Easily lasts about 26-30 hours. I do have games installed, about 10 Xbox games, listen to Xbox music - streaming and offline. So I think it's only when apps using a certain APIs are installed we might see this. I am inclined towards GPS/radio related issues. But like you said, just when I think, I've found it, tomorrow I might wake up to a bad battery day!

kamalzack

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm using 820 and had this problem initially. But I followed one of the tips here - I enable the email delivery as soon as arrive. Then I disable the other notification. I have Whatsapp and constantly received messages so by disabling other notification in setting I do not receive sound notification for Whatsapp anymore. I have enabled CNN, stocks app and few other in background tasks.
This morning I wake up and my phone still has 73% (about 7 hours since last charge).
Hope this help.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not the OS on its own. I am trying a vanilla OS, with no additional apps installed, instead a few removed. With only ME tile for notifications and in-built messenger chat for communications. Easily lasts about 26-30 hours. I do have games installed, about 10 Xbox games, listen to Xbox music - streaming and offline. So I think it's only when apps using a certain APIs are installed we might see this. I am inclined towards GPS/radio related issues. But like you said, just when I think, I've found it, tomorrow I might wake up to a bad battery day!

Check out my post regarding "Nokia Music"... this was replicated 3 times from a clean reset phone. I could actually get my phone to idle with basically no CPU. But to do that I had to uninstall the unused Nokia Music app.

It was that that made me decide that my phone was, from a hardware perspective, ok.

Since then though I've chosen to basically ignore the crazy battery usage. I'm completely in agreement that some of the more serious usage is potentially GPS related... phone gets hot when the GPS is in use which to me is definitely a bug in OS or perhaps even lower level firmware issue as we use standalone embedded GPS modules and they don't even get warm.

But even when I back out of all apps, the issues still persist... like the OS is infinitely trying to callback to apps that don't clean up well. Or something similar.

Since we cannot connect a debugger or log into the phone or anything to give a glimpse of what might be happening, we have to just wait until the next OS update.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Would've been awesome (and probably solve a lot of issues for a lot of people) if MS would've included a proper task manager, which would show what each app is currently doing in terms of CPU/RAM usage, or how often (and for how long) each app was using network/GPS services... Just because WP8 is a "mobile" OS doesn't mean its users should not have access to this kind of info :-/

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Since then though I've chosen to basically ignore the crazy battery usage. I'm completely in agreement that some of the more serious usage is potentially GPS related... phone gets hot when the GPS is in use which to me is definitely a bug in OS or perhaps even lower level firmware issue as we use standalone embedded GPS modules and they don't even get warm.

I am thinking it's the gps. Today while I was not I noticed almost everytime I turned it on the gps locator sign was showing for a minute or two, the entire time my battery was draining at about 5% an hour today.

I will have to try turning off the location services.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8 seriously needs a way to close apps like Android and iOS. They already have the app list by holding down the back button. They just need to add a swipe to close like Android. It should be a top priority for them. BTW, when I have all apps close, battery life on my 920 is amazing. I'm a light user and I get 2-3 days.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 seriously needs a way to close apps like Android and iOS. They already have the app list by holding down the back button. They just need to add a swipe to close like Android. It should be a top priority for them. BTW, when I have all apps close, battery life on my 920 is amazing. I'm a light user and I get 2-3 days.

I can reboot my phone(to kill all apps) and still lose 4-6% an hour.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Last night mine when from 100% to 93% over 9 hrs idle with WiFi connected.

That's what mine used to be like. Then suddenly I started losing at least 50% a night. What's funny is my wife's phone had terrible battery life at the start then suddenly got better recently. Neither of us changed our habits/usage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa