Nokia 920 exclusivity with AT&T ends in May

LucaNYC

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Apologies if someone has already brought this up. I just had a chat with AT&T support and thought you may be interested.

[AT&T representative - redacted]: Sure, how can I help?
[Me]: I bought a Lumia 920 as soon as it came out
[Me]: at the time they told me it could not be unlocked, and so it wouldn't for a few months
[Me]: do you have any idea of how long needs to pass before it can be carrier unlocked?
[Me]: i travel a lot so it makes a difference to be able to use another SIM
[Me]: (that's how I lost the iPhone one...)
[AT&T]: Can I have you dial *#06# from the device and verify the IMEI. I can certainly check on that for you.
[Me]: [redacted]
[AT&T]: It would appear that our exclusivity agreement between Nokia and AT&T, with that device, should be completed after 5/9/2013.

mythra

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
We'll have to wait and see how this all plays out. The only way this is relevant is if the high-end lumia for VZW is forced to be released in May.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
We'll have to wait and see how this all plays out. The only way this is relevant is if the high-end lumia for VZW is forced to be released in May.
Is there anything to this rumor? I just don't see Nokia shooting AT&T in the foot like this. AT&T has taken care of them immensely and really helped pave the way to getting them back to selling units in the US.

Nelson K Nelson

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Is there anything to this rumor? I just don't see Nokia shooting AT&T in the foot like this. AT&T has taken care of them immensely and really helped pave the way to getting them back to selling units in the US.

Um, just exactly how do you figure that? This exclusivity agreement did little for Nokia other than provide upfront cash which they could have raised by borrowing or stock dilution. In terms of "helping (Nokia) back to selling units in the US", this agreement was, at best, a push for Nokia. Had they released to all carriers they would have received equal or greater (4 giants + 3-to-6 regionals all advertising) in total marketing budget, and would have sold probably TRIPLE the number of units by now. If anything, Nokia gave ATT a boost by putting it's "Phone of the Year" on the "Network of Overpriced Non-Service". Windows Phone enthusiasts were forced to ATT, or stuck with older stuff. And, yes, there are a few million Windows Phone enthusiasts out there -- it's a simple interface that simply works without unnecessary complexity. I have my 80-year-old parents on a pair of HD7s and my girlfriend on an unlocked Lumia 920 32GB. Prior to that, she was on an HD7, and was typically able to go 3 months without need of reboot. Try thatwith ANY Android version on any phone, even the newest (although Android is what I actually use, not this simple-Simon Windows stuff -- but I do like the simplicity of WP, and if there were a Galaxy Note II sized WinPhone, I might consider... naah... never mind).

FACT: This exclusivity agreement gave Nokia a tiny seat at a BIG AT&T table, albeit with a spotlight paid-for by ATT. That was not a great deal for them, since it surely cost Nokia dearly in total sales, and probably cost them a bit of loss in total advertising. It did help Nokia create an aura surrounding the exclusivity, but, if I were Nokia's CFO, I'd much rather have had the larger unit sales. And Microsoft's CFO would definitely have rather had the greater number of sales. This phone brings Microsoft "back" as much as it does Nokia. Don't forget that Microsoft is every bit as much married to the WinPhone OS as is Nokia.

And the real winner here? AT&T. They got exclusivity on the Phone of the Year for 6 months, and all they had to do was pre-order a certain minimum number of units, and pay more than the carrier's usual percentage of shared ads for the device, with a (small by ATT standards) guaranteed minimum number of ads.

So it's definitely not some bone that ATT threw to Nokia. Not even close. It's almost certainly the reverse, but not by Nokia's cunning (not sure they have much, those Finnish wolves...) It was possibly-to-probably a desperation move by Nokia that it didn't need to do, but went for at the time, due to deep concerns over its Win-only "strategery".

Is it a WIN-WIN for ATT-Nokia? That's possible. But not for the consumer, making it a WIN-WIN-LOSE. (Do you have any idea how difficult it was getting this phone unlocked so I could use it on my T-Mobile corporate account? And then figuring out the way to set up WAP for MMS and a few other things?)

As long as the Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission allow these exclusivity deals which harm consumers, and do the opposite of fostering competition and providing enhanced consumer choice, we'll keep getting these WIN-WIN-LOSE deals that we're always stuck with here in the US. Maybe someday we'll outlaw Republicans, bring back needed regulation, and start to actually function again in a fair, pro-consumer market as Europe almost enjoys now -- I say "almost" because, of late, Europe has erred badly allowing profiteers like Draghi to run rampant.

But in the end, if you keep wondering why Europe gets all the great devices, and gets them all first, and you can put them on any carrier you choose, wake up, stop voting for Republicans, allow real, tough regulation to smack down these carriers, manufacturers, and OS providers, and get pro-consumer laws already on the books actually working again.

Meanwhile, remember this situation -- your favorite new phone is married to the most egregiously, criminally predatory carrier on the planet and you either hafta join the Evil Empire or wait it out until the next killer device is only a few months off anyway. Don't say I didn't warn you.

iboypx

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me... Got this mail after contacting through Twitter and official page of At&t
Hi F*****,

You and I were interacting on Twitter about the unlock code that you need for your Nokia 920. I just wanted to let you know that the date you were provided on May 9th is an approximation for when the code will be available. This information was not supposed to be provided because if we dont have the code for you on that date, you will be more upset with us. We will be able to unlock the device in June and if you would like to send another request then we will be able to assist you.

I am sorry for all of the incorrect information that you were given. There are customers that will jailbreak their phones if they need to use them before we have the unlock codes available. We do not encourage this and I would advise to wait until June so that you get the correct information and your device warranty is not voided.

We will not be able to assist with a device unlock for the Nokia 920 at this time and I apologize for all the frustration again.

J***, Social Media Manager
myAT&T Social Media Team
Check out our support center: AT&T Customer Service - Wireless, Internet, U-verse & Home Phone Support

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
'MERICA. :)

In Australia the 920 is still exclusive to one carrier (Telstra), however they sell all their phones carrier unlocked out of the box :)
We're in 2 year contracts anyway, so i dont see the point of locking the devices? Do americans also have 2 year contracts?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
'MERICA. :)

In Australia the 920 is still exclusive to one carrier (Telstra), however they sell all their phones carrier unlocked out of the box :)
We're in 2 year contracts anyway, so i dont see the point of locking the devices? Do americans also have 2 year contracts?

I could only dream of that happening in the states. Only Verizon LTE phones come unlocked (the GSM side of the phone) because of an agreement when they bid on some spectrum a while back. Even then, Verizon still finds a way to cripple their phones. I heard that the Lumia 822 and HTC 8X (Verizon variant) can't have their MMS settings changed.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If it is unlocked; I going to buy it at online Nokia website. That way if I have any problems; they know where it came from.

Nelson K Nelson

May 6, 2013
Visit site
UNLOCK CODES BEING RELEASED NOW!

You can call AT&T today - May 9, 2013.

They have begun releasing the unlock codes. (Or you can pay a company to get the phone unlocked for you.)

ARVI_SD

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i called in at the att XXX 500 number and got my unlock code.

btw: i did not pay full price and i told that i need it for international travel and they gave it in 3 mins.

Nelson K Nelson

May 6, 2013
Visit site
anyone successfully unlocked via AT&T or any other source today?

Although I had previously gotten one unlocked through an inside AT&T method, I unlocked a second one today in the wee early hours. There was not any need to give any reason whatsoever -- they just gave the code, and a schpiel on how I should use the thing on AT&T cause they were "so fast". Yeah, right. In Orlando area, T-Mobile rules with HSPA+, and I had this phone set up for T-Mobile by early this morning. Everything works perfectly, including MMS.

Also, as of this morning, T-Mobile did not yet have an OTA or app to auto-set WAP, APN, etc., for this model. However, they do email out these preferred settings (below), and my T-Mobile business agent said she was already getting a bunch of calls on the Lumia 920 that she had been directing to the tech support people to get set up. The Lumia 920 is FREE! Wooooo Hooooo!

T-Mobile's emailed Preferred Settings:

Internet and Picture Messaging (WAP, MMS)

Access Point Name (APN): epc.tmobile.com
MMSC Server: mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
Homepage: http://wap.t-zones.com

Short Message Service (SMS)

SMS Email: 10digitmobile@tmomail.net
SMS center: +12063130004
Email center: 500
Voicemail : +18056377243 (1-805-MESSAGE)

Examples:

Profile name: WAP Settings
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Homepage URL: http://wap.t-zones.com
Bearer: GPRS
Proxy: Disabled
MMSC:http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
IP address: <Leave Blank>
Port: <Leave Blank>

--------------------------------------------------
T-Mobile also provided: Alternate settings :

Internet APN: internet2.voicestream.com
Note: Assigns non-routable/non-pingable IP Address
VPN APN: internet3.voicestream.com
Note: Assigns Routable IP

WAP & MMS IP and Proxy Address

Gateway (port 9201)
Proxy (port 8080)

MMSC Server

http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
Note: Works with WAP APN and MMS Proxy

Homepage

myvoicestream.com or http://wap.t-zones.com/ or http://wap.t-zones.com/

Short Message Service (SMS)

SMS Email: 10digitmobile@tmomail.net
SMS center #: +12063130004
Email center #: 500
Voicemail #: +18056377243 (1-805-MESSAGE)

Examples:

Profile Settings

Profile name : T-Zones
Homepage URL: http://wap.t-zones.com or myvoicestream.com
Bearer: GPRS
Proxy : Enable

GPRS Settings

IP address : 216.155.165.050
Port : 8080
APN: wap.voicestream.com
Login ID : <Leave Blank>
Password :<Leave Blank>

If you are having trouble viewing this email or need more help, please visit us here: T-Mobile Internet & data settings: Non-T-Mo... | Support

-------------------------------------------
Additional stuff in T-Mobile's message:

Thank you for contacting T-Mobile's support!

Here are some instructions for you:

T-Mobile Internet & data settings: Non-T-Mobile phones

The T-Mobile Internet and picture messaging (MMS) settings for unsupported devices are being provided here as a courtesy. There is no guarantee these settings will make an unsupported device fully functional on the T-Mobile network. Customer Care cannot assist further with unsupported device configuration. Further information might be found on the Internet.

Important: T-Mobile recommends upgrading to a 4G capable phone to enjoy America's Largest 4G Network which is now even faster.

Note: Read the disclaimer and notes on unsupported handsets, devices, and software for additional information.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I actually didn't need to enter all that ^

I used the Access Point app from Nokia (it's downloaded as an app, but once it installs it shows up in your settings menu, near the bottom of the list). It automatically detected the carrier and pulled the correct APN settings. It's actually labeled as T-Mobile LTE (LTE has a new APN actually, I think it's fast.tmobile.com), but I don't have LTE in my area yet so I can't test if it works. Works fine with HSPA though. Haven't tried if it pulled the correct MMS settings yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb