Replacing through Nokia VS AT&T

Vinnio

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently because my phone has some physical damage, it's warranty is voided and I'd have to pay around $400 to get it replaced which is absolute horsecrap. My only hope is Nokia.

My phone's accelerometer stopped working. I downloaded Diagnostics Toolset and it shows the accel. is stuck all the way to the left and the gyroscope is going absolutely insane. Earlier today I performed a manual reboot, then a "soft reboot" and then finally a hard reset but the problem still exists. I called Nokia's support line and the rep told me to just send my phone to them for "evaluation". But basically I'm wondering if I should use Nokia's repair center or if I should try to do the exchange through AT&T; either way I want a replacement phone.

The only reason I'm asking is because I've heard it's better to do it through Nokia since they usually do it quicker and don't send you refurbished models, while AT&T does. But with Nokia, I'm without a phone for a few days but with AT&T I just have to wait for my replacement then just send them my faulty one.

Last edited:

the_icon12

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I emailed Stephen Elop about mine and his assistant handled it swiftly. I received my phone in two days and then sent in the defective one. My new one has great battery life.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is horse crap at all. I used to work in extended warranties for one of the largest insurance companies in the world, and every one of our contracts excluded misuse and abuse, which is what causes physical damage. A warranty is to protect the consumer from defects in workmanship, not his own mishandling. If you look at the design of an accelerometer, it isn't hard to imagine that a hard blow could cause what you describe. A gyro can be even more susceptible to damage, because of the inertia of the spinning disc, ball, or whatever. That's why dropping your laptop while it is on is far worse than dropping it while off. The inertia of the spinning platters in the hard drive can cause a lot of damage if you apply an external force such as a drop. Same with the gyro, depending on design.

Don't be the least bit surprised if they say they won't cover it either. They may, for the good will, but don't be surprised if they say no.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro