Users w/ Random Shutdowns and Reboots.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I've experienced both, as title stated. For shutdown, it would go into a 'dead' state, where you can neither power off nor on. Requires a hard reset (volume down+power button) in order to power on.
Also, the 820 would randomly reboot.

I went to Nokia Care, they dismissed the problem and insisted there was no such thing. They gave me the Portico update but problem still persists. So I hope to consolidate and send an email to Msft and Nokia.

Can you guys post where you got your phone from (etc. at&t, clove)
Portico or non-portico (to check, go to settings > About > if OS version ends with 10211.204, it's Portico. )

Me:
SingTel (Singapore)
Portico

iainmann

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked 820 bought in UK...no Portico...and no reboots or shutdowns at all.

In another thread, someone mentioned they thought Amazing Weather app could be to blame. I have AW installed and still no problems.

Strange how it's affecting some WP8 devices but not others before and after Portico.

wilkid

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Exactly the same problem with my new lumia 820 I have had 5 days... It has turned itself off twice now and the only way to get it back on is by taking out the battery and putting it back in. Complete rubbish and will be returning the phone this weekend.

BigwaveMx

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
in some place I read that amazing weather is the responsable app of the random reboots. I uninstall the app and from yesterday to this time, my phone doesn't reboots.....yet. I will let you know whats next.

BigwaveMx

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
after two days, the weather app isn't the reason of the random reboots. I'll trying another thing that I noted.

Last edited:

cacacaz

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Had phone 5 days its done this 3 times all overnight had to do battery out rest and this is made worse by battery taking 20mins and nails to get to... I too am returning mine ... Very poor

BigwaveMx

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok I find the reason why my phone reboots: The problem was the battery connectors. I'll try to make me understand (since english language isn't my local language). The battery have 3 holes with some little golden sheets. The battery connects to the phone trough this connectors:

Nokia_Lumia_820_review_13-580-90.jpg

Some battery connectors do not contact fine because they are not properly aligned. This detail and the movement of the battery causes the reboots.

BP-3L-Nokia-Lumia-710-Sabre-OEM-Battery-2.jpg
The pic above shows an example of the connectors that I talk about (this is not the original battery of 820, but the connectors seems like them)

What did i do? I just align the connectors of the battery with a toothpick (since toothpick are made from wood) and thats it. I haven't got any reboots from the past 1/31.

BigwaveMx

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
its almost 7 days and my phone is still powered on. Maybe some phones have some different defect. BTW, I also noted that the battery have a lot of movement. Maybe this movement unalign the connectors and cause the reboots.If I shake my phone, I can hear how the battery move.

GriffOnLine

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Lumia 820 since the 18th December 2012 and not a day has gone by when the phone has not shut itself down. I have gone through so many tests with the phone and none (to date) have proved that the phone can actually stay on for longer than 24 hours.

The phone was reset yesterday at 22:00 without any SIM or SD card installed. I am pleased to report that currently the phone is still on (though unusable), I hope to prove that there is no fault with the phone but the fault (as suggested by Nokia) is related to either the SIM or SD card. (Removing just the SD Card did reduce the number of times the phone shutdown).

07.02.13 : The phone did not see out the 24 hour mark, it has shutdown and only a battery removal will get it going again. This leads to an interesting question as to whether or not the OS is trying to do something every 24 hours (?), as this is not the first time the phone has shutdown around the 24 hour mark.

Last edited:

wazzer

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem I am now on my third phone and I have to re boot to get it on then set the date and time as it wont auto reset orange want to send me a fourth phone but I said no they wont give me an alternative phone so they are now going to send me a new sim card........ I have to keep checking to see if its on
I am on Orange Business Account and the dont seem to know much about it one wanted me to connect to zune???

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While my 820 has never randomly rebooted or shut down (pardon me while I knock on wood for a moment ... ok, that's better) I personally believe that the culprit is the loose battery. The first day I had mine I didn't like the clunking sound the battery would make when I'd move the phone around, so I popped off the back and slid a little, folded piece of paper between the side of the battery and the body of the phone.

I would highly recommend those of you having random reboots or shutdowns to try that.

ChrisR6s

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
thank god i found people with the same issue. im new to windows phone 8 and got it 2 days ago and my lumia 810 has twice been dead after iwoke up LATE for work.guess i cant trust this things alarm to wake me up. i dunno what ima do yet i may just send it back and get an s3. i love this phone so far though so its tough to do

silentrifle

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Ey, after buying my l820 from a nokia store here in the Philippines in 2 weeks time I started experiencing the random shutdown problems where the only way to turn in back on was to takeout the battery and put it back. I tried mpst of the suggestions online but none of them worked and the problem was never solved until 3 days ago, I'm gong on my 4th shutdown free day today =)

My l820 is in portico already and 3 days ago I did the following:

Formated my class10 32gb sd card to exfat
Turned off battery saver (I thiink this is the culprit)
Set the network selection to a specific carrier, meaning not using "automatic" setting
Turned the highest connection speed to 2g (today I'm switching it back to 3g)

Just wanted to share this and hope my phone stays on.

Danny Sjostedt

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 Lumia 820's....both going into "dead" state. Has there been official acknowledgement of this issue?

Prior to portico it restarted randomly, now overnight it will going into this dead state, which is worse as I've been late for work several times because the alarm doesn't sound!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99