Lumia 920 is great but WP8 looks bit unstable

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
You will deeply REGRET your decision. Despite having all these flaws I still love Lumia 920, its a wonderful device. iPhone 5 is not even closer within days you will get bored with it. With lumia 920 I am still exploring so many new things.

As far as OS stability is concerned. Once Nokia launches a complete version of Nokia Drive+ one issue will be eliminated, and I am OPTIMISTIC that within months Nokia will launch some more updates to make the camera much better, by changing the imaging algorithm and adding some softwares for burst shot, face detection and smile detection. The updated firmware will also be optimized to consume less battery

What?? You literally said the 920 is a flawed, and the only reason you like it is because it's new. That is absurd.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think I missed out something. The maps are already there, but your current location in the map isn't updated most of the time. With Nokia Drive in my previous Lumia 900 it was ultra fast, every seconds it happened to update your current location in the maps. Another thing is Nokia Drive + also heats up your device

This I agree with! wish I kept my 900.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
What?? You literally said the 920 is a flawed, and the only reason you like it is because it's new. That is absurd.

Every device in this world can have manufacturing defects. In lumia 920 its pure software based flaws which will be updated with firmware release. I own an iPad and have worked on couple of iPhone 4S and I find it boring, too simple for a technical enthusastic like me. In terms of hardware Lumia 920 is great with ZERO flaws. I think WP8 should have the tendency to shut down applications that consume too much memory or result in memory leak by running on background.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
OK good deal. However hardware issues have come up, most notably the camera dust issue. I believe the heat issue has nothing to do with the battery BTW, it's the processors heating up not the battery, as the battery is located in the mid to lower section of the phone body, the processors are located at the top of the phone.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
OK good deal. However hardware issues have come up, most notably the camera dust issue. I believe the heat issue has nothing to do with the battery BTW, it's the processors heating up not the battery, as the battery is located in the mid to lower section of the phone body, the processors are located at the top of the phone.

Yes and that too is caused by some application consuming so much CPU process that it gets heated up. So your desktop if your CPU is 100% consumed then it will get heated up similarly some BETA application like Nokia Drive + consumes so much process that it heats up the CPU which results in draining the battery. I think apple has an advantage that it will ABRUPTLY exit that such application. Thats why iOS application have the tendency to crash 3 times more than android application. Its because iOS will never allow any application to consume memory or CPU process upto some limit. WP8 too should put such check for an application. They can't treat WP8 as desktop OS where they let any process to consume whole CPU

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes and that too is caused by some application consuming so much CPU process that it gets heated up. So your desktop if your CPU is 100% consumed then it will get heated up similarly some BETA application like Nokia Drive + consumes so much process that it heats up the CPU which results in draining the battery. I think apple has an advantage that it will ABRUPTLY exit that such application. Thats why iOS application have the tendency to crash 3 times more than android application. Its because iOS will never allow any application to consume memory or CPU process upto some limit. WP8 too should put such check for an application. They can't treat WP8 as desktop OS where they let any process to consume whole CPU

Correct. However the processors seem to heat up too much during use, however this too could be a software based issue.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 great phone. I was having problems at first. It doesn't randomly reboot anymore since Portico. Only thing I notice which doesn't bother me, phone gets really hot using wireless charger on the back. Cook an egg on the back.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 great phone. I was having problems at first. It doesn't randomly reboot anymore since Portico. Only thing I notice which doesn't bother me, phone gets really hot using wireless charger on the back. Cook an egg on the back.

Thankfully my Lumia 920 had Peurtico preinstalled, so I never came across any rando reboot issue or any freezing issue (except for Nokia Drive + which freezes for a while the moment you launch the application). As far as FFC dust is concerned, i think it is rather a manufacturing defect (since Nokia production plant is moved into China so) which the initial stocks of Lumia 920 received and i think the nokia service centre people should be able to clean it.

Gadgetman110

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've never had a single one of the issues you describe. I ride a Harley and use Nokia Drive while playing music (local music on phone and also Pandora using wpRadioNet) and linked to my SENA SHMH10 intercom paired with my girlfriend. I'd say that's testing it out pretty well. No problems whatsoever.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
On September when I purchased great Lumia 900. There wasen't a single case when I had to reset my device.
Windows Phone 7 was based on Windows CE 7.0

what you are using now has a different core, and its more like 1.0 .. so naturally there will be some stability issues. In fact, I am surprised how well MS did considering how new this is..they've done a lot of work on Windows NT to make it work on a mobile device with GSM/LTE connectivity (switching those on/off seems to be a difficult task) and from that perspective.. its a great effort.

If anything.. widnows phone 8 is in fact 6.2 because that is where Windows NT is at the moment, but it only uses "shared code" with NT.. whatever that means, so I guess its safe to call it 1.0

The way I see it is Windows Phone 8 ver. 1.0 .. when they get to 2.0/3.0 things will start to stabilize.

Here is a great graph showing the version history of NT and CE

Windows_Updated_Family_Tree.png

ChemEngr

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Almost two months and I don't remember a spontaneous reboot or freeze. I have had bad apps cause stability issues and battery drain which I promptly uninstall. I also like the little things that are different from iOS or Android. I still have the iP4S as my personal phone - it stays in my bag the whole workday and my L920 has more battery at the end of the day. My L920 has been off the charger since 7am, and it is now 11pm with 70% charge with moderate use. This is my first WP device so I started fresh. I'm willing to bet that most issues come from previous WP owners upgrading to WP8. If starting with a fresh device (no restores from previous WP device), I see no reason why it won't be stable unless there's a hardware issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99