Front Camera Dust Problem

Kilauea91

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I had found a way to solve dust in FFC problem. But it may not apply to everyone whose phone also plagued by this.

Yes, I can confirm there is a gap between the case and screen, with a layer of black rubber bump supposedly to seal the gap but obviously didn't do too well.
It's really hard to see the hair thin gap without proper lighting or magnifying glass. However, If you look into the gap, you can clearly see the stopper wall of
polycarbonate case behind it. Mine is easier to tell since it is yellow.

Ever since first getting the phone in mid-Oct last year, I had suffered this recurring problem and gotten tired of blowing compressed air into the gap to clear the dust from
time to time. Like some people said, I too don't really care about dust getting into FFC, what really annoyed me is the blackout screen during call as the dust had
hindered the proximity senor. Didn't want to go through the hassle of getting the phone replaced, here is what I did:

After blowing off the dust one last time, I did a micro-surgery to the phone by using a needle threader as a tool to apply some translucent silicon sealer to seal the gap.
I am happy to report that over 5 weeks has passed and have never seen any new speck of dust in the FFC, nor did I see proximity sensor malfunction during call.

It's a pain to do the micro-surgery, but with proper tools, I think it's worth the effort. I did it with great care and use minimal amount of sealant as possible, so you
can't tell by appearance. Do it at your own risk and YMMV.

MikamiEamon

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The lady I worked with said the issue was *not* normal, and took the time with me to compare my phone against their floor models. As it turned out, mine has a (small but) visible gap on the right side of the earpiece, which is letting the dust in...the floor models did not (and did not have any dust at all in front of the FFC). The representative ordered a replacement phone for me, which I should have within the next few days.

...!

This is a great news, it seems there are some productions really giving better assembly. I might try to drop by service center.
However, I think your observation isn't on the correct entrance of dust. My dust obviously come in from the top edge, not from left side (ear piece).

MikamiEamon

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I just got my phone back from repair as I could not stand it anymore. The repair bon says they have replaced the display unit. I really hope that it won't come back.The repair took 6 days.

they replace the display unit which is very correct. If the replacement come with better seal around the front camera that should cure the dust issue for good.

I think you should bring a can of baby powder then spread it along the seam on top edge to see if the seam above FFC is sealed tightly or not... (hahahaha, sorry this test is too extreme)

Hope they will do well.

MikamiEamon

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I hope you will be generous to share some updates after you got your Lumia replaced or fixed for the front camera dust issue.
If some of you really get the issue fixed, I would also consider to send my phone to Nokia, if problem still occurs after their surgery, then I should do surgery by myself.

eeewing

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
However, I think your observation isn't on the correct entrance of dust. My dust obviously come in from the top edge, not from left side (ear piece).

It well may be that the top edge is a defect on some phones, as well, but mine is definitely coming in where stated...the top edge of my phone is airtight (as evidenced by the fact I cannot clear the dust back out while aiming compressed air at the top edge of the phone).

eeewing

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick follow-up in case anyone is interested:

I received my replacement Lumia 920 from AT&T on Friday, Feb. 1. After five days with the new phone, I can confirm that there is NO DUST working its way under the glass. I have been carrying the phone in my pants pocket (like I normally do) and have not been treating the device with kiddie gloves...there is plenty of dust getting on the device, just not in it. My own experience, therefore, leads me to believe that those experiencing this issue do have a faulty device.

FWIW, there are a few cosmetic differences between this phone and my original one -- perhaps the newer batches of phones got the kinks worked out? At any rate, the AT&T logo on this phone is the "globe" only, as described here. Also, the color of the LEDs which light up the capacitive buttons is a little different...a very slight greenish/yellowish hue as opposed to bright white. No big deal with either of those things. I should also note that the phone shipped to me with Portico pre-installed.

All-in-all, I'm a pretty happy camper now. :)

AgentBetlog

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
After blowing off the dust one last time, I did a micro-surgery to the phone by using a needle threader as a tool to apply some translucent silicon sealer to seal the gap.
I am happy to report that over 5 weeks has passed and have never seen any new speck of dust in the FFC, nor did I see proximity sensor malfunction during call.

It's a pain to do the micro-surgery, but with proper tools, I think it's worth the effort. I did it with great care and use minimal amount of sealant as possible, so you
can't tell by appearance. Do it at your own risk and YMMV.

Nice. I'm planning on doing this myself. Question - how much of the top did you apply the silicone to? Did you go across the whole top gap or just the section immediately above the FCC? Also, I'm thinking of going with black silicone... with the clear silicone, can you see the application?

Kilauea91

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Nice. I'm planning on doing this myself. Question - how much of the top did you apply the silicone to? Did you go across the whole top gap or just the section immediately above the FCC? Also, I'm thinking of going with black silicone... with the clear silicone, can you see the application?

I am attaching a few pictures for your reference. Sorry for the crappy pics from my crappy camera.

Silicone was only applied to the area above the FFC and proximity sensor, where I could visually tell there is a gap under magnifying glass. It was done by a few passes
and each time with very little silicone gel carefully applied to the gap with a needle threader. Even after this is done, there is still a groove in between the black
rubber seal and digitizer, but enough to seal the opening to prevent dust from going in. If you can find silicone seal in black color, that would probably be better.
The clear gel works for me and you won't notice it's there at all. Over the time, mine has collected lots of dust in the groove anyway, but none in the FFC or P-sensor.
I hope this helps.

WP_000007.jpg
WP_000008.jpg

cpn82

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I've sent the first L920 White in after a week(it creaked when using the phone), it was then sent from the Telenor workshop in Denmark to Nokia Care Center/Service Center in Poland. Got a replacement phone after 10 workdays.
Sent that one back, after one week. Dust in the FFC and the screen/display had a red hue in the lower left corner. That too was sent to Nokia in Poland and they changed the display module and cleaned the FFC. I got that one back yesterday. Now that too has dust in the FFC AND in the main camera, on the back of the phone.

Basically, the Telenor workshop and Nokia Center have had my phone longer than I have...

As you can imagine, I'm not happy with the L920 and hope Telenor and Nokia can resolve the problems with my phone.

Last edited:

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My warranty replacement AT&T 920 also has the globe without letters (as mentioned by eeewing) and the greenish hue on the capacitive buttons and has a large dust particle under ffc after two hours in my pocket. Now less than 24 hours there are two particles! At this rate ffc will be covered in one months time:| I too love my 920 and won't change phones but this is a total annoyance for me!

MikamiEamon

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick follow-up in case anyone is interested:

I received my replacement Lumia 920 from AT&T on Friday, Feb. 1. After five days with the new phone, I can confirm that there is NO DUST working its way under the glass.

Hi, how is your replacement Lumia now? Still dust free?

AgentBetlog

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've added the silicone per the comments above and I've started using the official Nokia 920 case. I'll let you guys know once I get visible dust inside the FFC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers