To Portico or not to Portico

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Determine what you can live without before you do it. It broke my accelerometer so I can't do landscape anymore. Nokia support was no help so I'm looking at buying another phone. Probably won't be a 920.
why not flash it again? and where are you from that nokia doesnt keep their warranty?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Err, your phone is under warranty, Nokia is obligated to repair faulty handsets, and are generally happy to do so....

Obligated to whom? I've talked to them 6 times and get nothing but a run around. Promises of a return call but nothing. So far, they have not fixed SQUAT!!

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just did a second hard reset about 30 minutes ago. Didn't fix the problem. Still waiting for a call.

flashing it is not a hard reset, since you had a bad install, doesn't matter how many times you do it, its the same.
since it is a bad install, you need to reinstall the OS, which in phones, we called it flashing.
They are tutorial here, basically its a three step exercise after you backup your data.
Still surprise where did you bought it and why they didn't give you a replacement.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
flashing it is not a hard reset, since you had a bad install, doesn't matter how many times you do it, its the same.
since it is a bad install, you need to reinstall the OS, which in phones, we called it flashing.
They are tutorial here, basically its a three step exercise after you backup your data.
Still surprise where did you bought it and why they didn't give you a replacement.

Flash it with what? As far as returning it, it wasn't broken when I bought it. It worked. I can't ask the store to take back something that wasn't broken when I got it. That would be dishonest and nothing good comes from that level of petty dishonesty. Sorry, I won't do it.

Pi Sin

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Flash it with what? As far as returning it, it wasn't broken when I bought it. It worked. I can't ask the store to take back something that wasn't broken when I got it. That would be dishonest and nothing good comes from that level of petty dishonesty. Sorry, I won't do it.
wait for what? just go to the nearest nokia care center n give them the phone to fix or they will exchange it .. nokia have the best service center around world wide. well unless you don't have a 920 thats why you can't bring it to the service center to get it replace or change.. they don't even need your prove of purchase

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't updated because if you update via NaviFirm, you have to do a hard reset and I just CBA with that again. Plus the upgrades aren't all that and it can wait. I'm on EE in the UK here

pogi920

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
what is a hard reset anyway?what is the difference between hard and soft reset? just a newbie question ..i updated my 920 thru NCS ,no issues at all...battery life improves and camera as well ...

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

That makes so little sense, my brain hurts after reading it.

You are upset at Nokia because you feel they are not exchanging your phone, but you feel dishonest about having a store take it back? Explain please.
It's not like the store will lose money because of that. They send returns to Nokia and it costs them nothing.

Ignotum666

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
It's true?

SMS create designs
Select all text for easy deletion
Reject call with SMS
New Wi-Fi settings (WLAN can be activated when the screen timeout)
Fixed the restart issues
Improvements in Internet Explorer
Improved Bluetooth connectivity
More stable boot sequence
Improved image quality
Improved battery management
Additional platform updates and improvements

damnfob

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
You guys forgot to list that Nokia addressed the whole "hard reset via settings = brick" glitch.

For those of you hearing about all the glitches attributed to Portico, keep in mind that they make up a smaller percentage of the whole. If everyone that didn't have a problem with their update posted, 99% of you wouldn't have any doubts.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
what is a hard reset anyway?what is the difference between hard and soft reset? just a newbie question ..i updated my 920 thru NCS ,no issues at all...battery life improves and camera as well ...
Soft reset is somewhat equivalent to restart pc, hard reset is somewhat like restore your pc to the state where you just reinstall windows.

Pardon me, WTF?!
Is it dishonest to format and reinstall windows?
Probably you dont even know what does it means flashing you device. It uses public available software tools from Nokia to format and reinstall the WP8 on to your phone.
It is the reason why people said fruit device is a glorified dumb phone where else the droids are on the other end of the scale.
Anyways, smart phones is for smart people, at least smart in troubleshoot their own device.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Actually... I also want to say that the boot up is faster as well. Or it might be just me. Also Techblogger. If you got the phone via contract you can do it through them. Most carriers will do that annoying warranty stuff for you.

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My phone was at 83%, so I shut it down an turned it on and it went to 76%, so I did a soft reset and it went to 91%. So soft reset does help to stop whatever is draining battery because in 3 hrs idle it should never do that. Its always after a full charge that I have to restart. Hate this bug. Portico did this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05