Retailer Reviews for unlocked 920 in the UK

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Just curious about this. If you've recently bought an unlocked 920 in the UK, where did you get it from (e.g. Clove, Expansys etc)? How would you rate the retailer? Did you have any problems with your handset and how did the retailer deal with it? Please post your experience here.

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi mate,

I started with Handtec, as they seemed to sell them the cheapest. I ordered a black one, and a red one came instead. It might be worth you knowing that I've read elsewhere about exactly the same thing happening with someone else when they ordered theirs from handtec. But their prices are great so may be give them a chance. The phone itself had issues (no bad reflection on the website though, more nokia quality control!) so i returned it and got a new one this time from expansys. This time I got the right colour but again had quality control issues, so returned that and am currently awaiting one from Clove.

All in all, it's been a bit of a hassle (and no, I'm not one of those OCD obsessives), but my impression of these three websites is that delivery was perfect (hopefully it won't be slow for you because of the snow at the mo) and they had zero problem with me requesting a return. So all in all, I would give the lumia 920 quality control a 5/10, but the actual retail websites mentioned above an all round 10/10 :).

Have a look at the prices and decide what you want to do. One tip I would give though - I always remember a few years ago buying a galaxy s2 and Clove sent me what turned out to be a previously returned device (I could tell because it was defective and because someone had loaded a leaked not-out-yet rom onto it). To this day don't think it was intentional...but still.

My advice with any of these websites would be to read when they say they're getting new stock in of a certain colour, and then order that colour the day that stock comes in. That way, not only are you getting a new/fresh batch but there's hopefully little chance of anyone trying to pull a fast one with you with a 2nd hand handset. Hope this helps,

Pads.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback Paddy :) I bought a 920 from an EE store a while ago but had problems with it and had a pretty bad experience returning it. Thinking of buying another 920 elsewhere, but have no experience with these retailers.

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
No worries......My handset is coming tomorrow from Clove (hopefully third time lucky) so will let you know. One thing to add as well, not sure about Clove but both Handtec and Expansys offer the option of a courier coming to your house/flat to pick up the handset if a return/replacement is necessary...rather than having to pay to send it off. Not sure if this is the norm with all products ordered off the web but before my lumia(s) I'd never returned anything before so either way I found it impressive.

Pads.

ps. if the situation DOES arise that you need a return, bear in mind that assuming you are in your 14 day period and that you still have all the stuff in the box this is your LEGAL RIGHT. Occassionally these companies (im guessing they were trained that way - they're not evil!) will 'encourage' the option of a replacement and won't mention the possibility of a refund until you do. So don't be shy with these guys. If you're gonna be paying half a grand for something (whatever it is) then 80% satisfaction is nowhere near good enough. Good luck!

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Just to update you (or anyone else who is interested) - third one came today. Vibrate is now perfect (so don't let anyone tell you that rattle is 'how it's supposed to sound.').

Unfortunately this one's light leak is twice as bad as before and I've now got the creaking issue some have had (which up till now I thought was people with OCD) where you can actually kinda push in the screen with a 'pop' at the top as though the whole thing is loose. It's awful..... and I thoroughly apologize to anyone who had this who I didn't believe. Can honestly say I've never had a Quality-Control saga like this with any of the consumer electronics I've bought in the past.

Anyway, enough of the moaning, gonna return this for full refund and go back to my dated, boring but ultimately reliable iphone. My strategy now is gonna wait till Nokia release something better or another company releases something equally attractive on windows phone (which I do love.)

Hope you have better luck and so long!

Pads.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update Paddy. Presumably Clove didn't make a fuss about you wanting to return it? Have you thought about the 8x/AtivS or do these not interest you?

Last edited:

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
No mate they were fine with it. Basically my first one (red) had a vibrate that sounded like a rattlesnake being raped, as well as light leak (i.e. if you look at the phone from an angle you can see bright light come from between the screen and the black glossy border. Second one had even worse light leak and a slightly less harrowing rattle. And then this third one had a perfect vibration (translation: normal like EVERY other phone since the millenium) but light leak so bad that it affected the edges when looking at dark photos/dark background. Plus the creaking/popping/moving chassis.

Considered a fourth replacement but not sure I fancy the fresh-out-of-the-box heartache AGAIN and any more time wasted on something that in the grand scheme is not worth the stress..plus my girlfriend is giving me grief over the lack of attention she is getting in favour of this! :)

Yeah considered the 8x/ativ - none of those really turned me on enough to go for. Going to wait it out for something better - I hear LG's cooking up something with WP8.....maybe there'll be something decent announced at MWC. Anyway good luck mate - important thing is if you've got the time (and spirit) for all this, be safe in the knowledge that those websites will be cool with any replacements/returns you'd care to make.

Pads.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers