First Batch 920 displays different/inferior to newer batch 920s?

killzone killzo

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
So much whining and moaning in this thread... Guys, it is very simple: if you believe Nokia has released an absolutely flawed product - get rid of it and get a different model from different manufacturer, and/or contact Nokia directly and complain about your issues to them. Repeatedly whining on these forums will NOT magically fix your phones, nor will it make Nokia to start recalling all of Lumia 920's tomorrow (most likely Nokia's representatives don't even read any forums except official one). Why are you doing it, then? Do you have some kind of mental issues or are you simply masochistic?

Ok. Whining wont make them recall the phones, but I hope it'll make them fire their entire QC departement and get a new one for a change. The phones are clearly defective (even the ones people claim aren't). I used to think that I have a perfect phone with great battery life, until I started to notice that the battery goes from 100% to 55% in less than 1 hour of web browsing. Moreover, the heat issue right above the camera seems to be a common flaw. It isn't just normal heat you get from the processor, the back plate and the screen both get REALLY hot after spending several minutes on the phone, meaning the heat sink is just terrible, improperly installed, or is just damn non existant. So you see sir, whining is important when you face said issues, especially after getting defective replacements too!

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Whining wont make them recall the phones, but I hope it'll make them fire their entire QC departement and get a new one for a change. The phones are clearly defective (even the ones people claim aren't). I used to think that I have a perfect phone with great battery life, until I started to notice that the battery goes from 100% to 55% in less than 1 hour of web browsing. Moreover, the heat issue right above the camera seems to be a common flaw. It isn't just normal heat you get from the processor, the back plate and the screen both get REALLY hot after spending several minutes on the phone, meaning the heat sink is just terrible, improperly installed, or is just damn non existant. So you see sir, whining is important when you face said issues, especially after getting defective replacements too!

No , my phone is not defective, but thanks for pretending to know that ;)

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Many of the issues people are posting about on the forums are non issues or issues with software that the poster fails to understand. An example of the former one is the creaking shell, who cares if it makes a little noise if you press it in a specific place? An example of the second is battery drain. Some phones will of course have a defective battery or something else draining it, but many will be just software hanging itself or badly coded apps getting looped processes.

I have the creaking shell and some dust in my FFC, don't care about it at all since the shell is a non issue and I haven't used my FFC in any phone since they started with FFCs.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Many of the issues people are posting about on the forums are non issues or issues with software that the poster fails to understand. An example of the former one is the creaking shell, who cares if it makes a little noise if you press it in a specific place? An example of the second is battery drain. Some phones will of course have a defective battery or something else draining it, but many will be just software hanging itself or badly coded apps getting looped processes.

I have the creaking shell and some dust in my FFC, don't care about it at all since the shell is a non issue and I haven't used my FFC in any phone since they started with FFCs.

You make some valid points. Nevertheless these issues and others seem to persist.

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm totally new to WP8/Nokia and this forum. I come from a hardcore android family and to me windows is a welcome experience. And now about the phone I got a black lumia 920 and been using it for 2 weeks now and the only thing that i noticed was the faint vibration rattle which dint quite bother me as I never use the vibration alert on phone(mostly a personal preference) and though I visited the nokia store to check on the rattle, i also figured that the phone displayed there also had the rattle. I have been looking around for issues mentioned across this forum like dust, loose battery, camera related but found none. Battery does stay with me until the night where in I do use the phone a lot during the day(emails+skpye+cnn+calls). so my experience with this phone has been very exciting and I have been fortunate to have moved off android for good.

liamjanin

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Ive had my 920 for a month, aside for having to soft reset at least 50 times (no joke) and a couple of hard resets, there have been issues with music playback and to top it off my screen completely died. When apple maps was less than perfect they issued a public apology and fired scott forstall who was in charge of maps (and this is just an app, not even hardware). Getting a new phone is actually a huge pain since most of the data in the apps will be lost when you restore (something that doesn't happen on iOS and android).

I have yet to see a public apology for the consistent issues with the 920. It's lucky for nokia that their phones are selling in relatively low quantities, If they had the reach that iphones did then replacing them all would bankrupt them when the list of issues hit mainstream media. I still like my lumia and im guessing that the majority of users here are geeky early adopters too who expect to be troubleshooting which is almost part of the fun. I definitely wouldnt recommend this phone to the average user though. It would be nothing but headaches when the phone crashes and and they have to head all the way to a nokia care centre just for a soft reset because they haven't been crawling forums and support pages to find out how themselves(and they shouldn't be expected to).

Just think back to antenna-gate when the iphone had signal issues when you gripped the outside of the phone. They offered EVERYONE 100% refund, or a bumper case to fix the problem. It wasnt even that big of an issue since there are plenty of iphone 4's around now which seem to be working fine after all the media hype died down. I will still use this phone happily but won't recommend it to anyone until the issues have been fixed.

p.s. to the guy that got 6 replacements, thats at least a full days work altogether, think how much you would have been paid for that time. Thats how much its cost you!

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Very unlikely that all 920 are defective, that doesn't mean a large % aren't in fact defective. Not every Toyota had accelerator issues, but after some pressure they recalled every car with that system. The only reason they did this was because of safety.

Yes, they did that because of safety. So?

Absurd to say "all phones are defective" when most probally <5% are defective. And one reminder what goes for everything "new". If you want a device, car, software or whatever without any problems, buy it after it has been at least 1 year on sale.

WP8 was completely new, what would you expect from it? Software bugs at least. Battery drains are almost standard when new versions of OS comes. Early updates usually tend to fix those issue. My Lumia 920 reboots and what did I? I wrote my problem here, saw others having similar problems => sent it to customer service. Problem solved. Didn't need to write here that this is POS, when it isn't, there is just some bug that needs to be fixed.

What comes to Lumia 920 design, yes, there are devices that gather dust on FFC => replace it. If it top part clicks or there are tolerance errors in display/housing => replace it. If your phone drains battery even in battery saving mode => replace it.

kuffcakes

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
This is my second 920. The only issue I had with the first (purchased Dec. 27) was dust and the squeaky screen. The phone didn't reset, over heat, have problems with wireless charging or battery life issues. I've had this second phone for three weeks now and there are no issues with it.

The box this phone came in had a QC Passed sticker on it. The first did not. I would like to see how phones with this sticker on the box are holding up.

RyanKennedy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have the dust under the front facing camera, but honestly haven't seen a drop in photo quality or spots on the screen. Its really just nitpicking for me. Other than that, the 920 is absolutely perfect!

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I know that but the subsidized price does determine the quality of the product. All high end subsidized price start at 199.99.

Sent from my 64gig "New" iPad using Tapatalk
Can you back that up? I think it has more to do with Nokia stumbling out the gate.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

MezJr

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Nokia, each time, sent the replacement phone out with 2 day shipping and then emailed me a label to ship the defective phone back after I received the replacement.

It never took more than a couple of emails each time to get a replacement, it was actually a very easy process. /shrug.

So I was talking with Nokia chat and sent mine in due to another issue, not sure how prevalent (not really the point of the comment, but I'll digress) but I had larger gaps on the long sides (large enough on the right to fit a fingernail in, not on the left), plus the power button and the camera button were loose.

How were you able to get them to send you one before sending your current phone back? I had to send mine first (with a provided pre-pay label) and they're "assessing the validity" of my issue. If the one I get back is no good, need your hookup.

knitoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am on my fourth Lumia 920. I am think that the Cyan models either were manufactured in a different plant or for some reason receive different screens than the other colors

My first Cyan 920 had battery issues and a slightly dimmer/more yellow screen when compared to my brother's White 920 (who also had battery issues and had to get the phone replaced as well).

My second Cyan 920 had issues where any app would freeze and return to Start

I received a Black 920 as there were no stock for Cyan for a few weeks, it recently started having issues where the proximity sensor has completely failed and when making a phone call the screen goes black and will not come back on until the call has ended.

AT&T managed to get some Cyan 920s in stock and I received one yesterday and when compared to the Black 920 (that I have yet to return) the screen is slightly dimmer/more yellow. So far this fourth 920 seems to perform decently, but the jury is out for another few weeks to see how badly this one degrades..

I do believe Denzilla and Andy are correct in that there are some major issues with this model, but I really do want to have one that is as flawless as some others have.

Hopefully it isn't a pipe dream.

RyanR47

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My Lumia 920 experience:

1st: white 920: DOA, bricked out of the box
2nd: black 920: dust under FF Camera, annoying rattling sound.
3rd: red 920: defective unit, had flimsy construction, squeaked near the camera button.
4th: yellow 920: just got it today so far it looks alright. I think its a keeper!

knitoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Here are some side by side comparison pics of my Cyan 920 and Black 920. Notice how the Cyan 920 white is not as white as the Black 920. These are both set on High brightness with Automatic turned off.

1971gx.jpg

dyty6e.jpg

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Was going to post pics tomorrow. This is exactly what I mean. There is a huge difference. Think I'm going to exchange my blue for a white one.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)