First Batch 920 displays different/inferior to newer batch 920s?

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
honestly I never had a non working phone, the only phone I had that was bricked (before the flash fix was posted) I was able to swap at my local at&t store that very day. The other phones were dust in the ff camera, creaky body, and one would get super hot and had terrible battery life.

Nokia, each time, sent the replacement phone out with 2 day shipping and then emailed me a label to ship the defective phone back after I received the replacement.

It never took more than a couple of emails each time to get a replacement, it was actually a very easy process. /shrug

And the low light photos are simply amazing with this phone, as well as the image stabilization when shooting videos, better than most stand alone video cameras. I've gone out and done real world testing with the low light photos vs my HTC titan and it really is an astounding difference.

I do hope your new phone holds up. How long have you had it?

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad they treated you as they should.

However you're missing the big picture. What will happen down the line when the manufacture determines the product is out of warranty and will no longer support their product? Just like a car I would not want something that has so many issues, the likelihood of it failing down the road and out of warranty is almost 100% IMHO. Sorry, but you'd have to be pretty hardheaded to stay with a make that long.

Andre.

I usually upgrade my phone once a year, so that isn't a problem for me regarding out of warranty. And I know everyone's situation is different. But not every 920 is a buggy pos. Just alot of em :p

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Very unlikely that all 920 are defective, that doesn't mean a large % aren't in fact defective. Not every Toyota had accelerator issues, but after some pressure they recalled every car with that system. The only reason they did this was because of safety.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Then it's a non issue for you. I don't personally like disposing things that quickly, seems like a waste, if something doesn't last I don't want it.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Very unlikely that all 920 are defective, that doesn't mean a large % are in fact defective. Not every Toyota had accelerator issues, but after some pressure they recalled every car with that system. The only reason they did this was because of safety.

I wouldn't mind Nokia recalling all of the phones and sending out confirmed perfect phones.

Yea I'm a tech junky, I always want the latest greatest. My girlfriend hates that about me lol.

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
You've had 6 different phones?? If this where a car would you still want to own the same make??

Am I complaining? YES. Do I have any interest in dealing with Nokia again and getting another defective phone? NO. I'll simply get a different phone in a few months, it's just a shame I wasted my time and money. The 920 should be recalled plain and simple, but that will never happen.

Good riddance...you should just stick to land lines going forward.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Picked up 920 on ATT at launch. I'm on #2 and it wasn't any better than the first one. I've fought with this phone since I got it. After three months and many hours of adjusting, resetting and adjusting some more, I finally have descent battery life with my usage. Well, what I consider descent. But, I'll never buy another Nokia product until I read the real people reviews. And I still think the camera is over hyped inconsistent crap.

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Reading all the comments, I feel thoroughly disappointed by Nokia. The problem is I would not have noticed it if I didn't compare it side by side with another 920.

I did compare it with a One X and credited the tint to the CBD. Found out it wasn't true. I'm glad I got this device, but Nokia pushing out devices with an obvious difference between batches is pathetic. I've ignored the dust issues, those are minor to me...but this did get me sad for being one of the first customers.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I know most phones are now made in China, but when I saw that written on the side of my 920's box, I still wasn't happy to see it. Really what can one expect from anything made in China?? My 900 was made in Korea, at least they can make OK cars and electronics.

Last edited:

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I do think it is naive to think the 920 isn't suffering from a higher than normal "return rate". It is.

But I also think it is naive to think that the folks that say they have no problems with their 920 are just too ignorant to know that it is flawed.

I have 2 920's that have nothing wrong with them. But each of them are replacements for the original purchased unit. (one had a crackle from the speaker before it played the normal sounds. The other had the horrible reboot issue)

I see it as a quality control failure. But I don't expect the 2 fantastic units I currently have to just break. This forum has enough posts to get a general idea of what the 920 defects are.

And finally, although I understand your frustrations can sour your opinion of your 920, the claim there is nothing special about the 920 is a bit silly. I'm ok if you don't like WP8. Its not for everyone. But the industry itself is pretty impressed with the overall performance of this hardware\software package. And deservedly so.

I suspect that at some moment in time, even the now disgruntled were intrigued. Its how they got here.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Well said!!! I feel the same way, I actually liked my 900 it was a great phone. I'm stuck with this POS 920 for awhile. In march I'll be eligible for an early upgrade, this phone will go in the garbage where it belongs.
Garbage? can I get it instead? I'll even pay shipping.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I do think it is naive to think the 920 isn't suffering from a higher than normal "return rate". It is.

But I also think it is naive to think that the folks that say they have no problems with their 920 are just too ignorant to know that it is flawed.

I have 2 920's that have nothing wrong with them. But each of them are replacements for the original purchased unit. (one had a crackle from the speaker before it played the normal sounds.

I thought that that sound was normal, just the speaker turning on, it really doesn't bother me.

ExcaliburII

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
The only issue I've had with my 920 to date is the battery life at times...but that is mainly due to hung processes, so more of an OS issue than anything else. Everything else has been running very smooth and very happy with it, I might be picking up a red one next month as Rogers is now making them available so can have a look at the screen at that time. But thanks for the info.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
So much whining and moaning in this thread... Guys, it is very simple: if you believe Nokia has released an absolutely flawed product - get rid of it and get a different model from different manufacturer, and/or contact Nokia directly and complain about your issues to them. Repeatedly whining on these forums will NOT magically fix your phones, nor will it make Nokia to start recalling all of Lumia 920's tomorrow (most likely Nokia's representatives don't even read any forums except official one). Why are you doing it, then? Do you have some kind of mental issues or are you simply masochistic?

?? That's precisely what I plan to do.

You have a 920 and you like it, good I'm glad it's working out for you. However if you don't like what others have to say about the 920, ignore it. This is an open forum, everyone has a right to their opinion.

Nokia and most every large company, pays people to read what's written on forums about their products, they'd be fools not to. I've see first hand how much influence internet forums can have on the market I work in every day.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb