Down the stairs

DynaDog

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't mean to get into a, umm, urinating contest with the poster whose Lumia 920 took a swim in the John Crapper, but my 920 slipped from my hands this morning at the top of my staircase and took about five sickening bounces down the bare wood stairs and a few more on the bare wood landing before skidding to a stop. The phone was completely undamaged. Could not believe it. Don't have the heart to check the stairs yet. :)

The Lumia 920, cutting edge technology, built like a tank, and you can use it as a Slinky in a pinch.

Oh, man, now the Slinky song is in my head.

JeepGuy25

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I dropped mine twice... within a few minutes of each other. Both times it was in my shirt pocket, where i NEVER keep it. Just happened to slip it in there, then bent down to pick up my son. It slid straight out and hit the hardwood floor.

First time it was fine. Second time, it landed right on the upper left corner, where the SIM tray is. It actually distorted the corner so it now has a radius, and it also distorted the SIM tray opening to the point where the tray wouldnt seat fully. So I had to use some force to "re-work" the tray opening, just enough so it would seat. Now it looks kinda ugly...but not too bad.

Haha so you got lucky it didnt take that PERFECT hit right on that corner because it seems to be a slight weak spot. Probably one of the VERY rare weak spots on the phone. So far its been a tank!

J.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Very lucky! It seems like survivability is based on how the phone lands.

My first Lumia 920 broke in a 4ft fall to the pavement. Unfortunately, it went right down on one of the corners. So not only did that edge of the screen break but it got a single crack right down the middle of the screen due to whole thing flexing on impact. There were some sensitivity issues in the broken corner of the screen but it still worked. Well, except for audio on calls dropping out constantly.

The most painful thing was having to replace the yellow phone with a white one.

newfiend

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I never buy a smartphone without some sort of case.. I'm just to likely to drop it at some point. I know the phone looks better without one but at least it has some protection with a case. Both the Otterbox commuter and incipio case for the Lumia phones add little bulk but lots of protection. I have dropped mine on concrete twice with the Otterbox commuter on it and the phone still looks brand new. Just food for thought.. Accidents will happen, its only a matter of time.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express.

mapleleafs89

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I bought a TPU soft case for it. Dropped it about 10 times while drunk from eye level to concrete. It is still it perfect condition aside from the screen protector I had to replace.

JeepGuy25

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I had a soft case on my previous phone...after the screen broke and i replaced it haha.

BUT...since my 920 is great for Navi, and other things, i bought a windshield mount for it. And the phone snaps into it like a GPS snaps into its cradle. So its specific to the 920. No room for any type of bumper or case. And this might make me sound incredibly lazy, but I dont want to pull the case on/off each time i get in/out of the car.

Thought I could just be careful...guess I should know better! haha. Might get the soft case anyway and deal with the PITA of install/removing it constantly. Because I HATE the fact that my phone isnt perfect anymore.

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
then bent down
Just happened to slip it in there
It slid straight out

I hate my mind.

Dropped mine a few times at work without a case on and it's absolutely fine - now I have a case on it (full leather bad-boy which opens like a boooooooooooooooooooook) and don't even worry about dropping it.

Oh and an amazing thing about having a case for your phone is that you get to remove it and once again hold it in all its glory. Mine's out of its house right now, it's so damn purdy.

JeepGuy25

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I hate my mind.

Dropped mine a few times at work without a case on and it's absolutely fine - now I have a case on it (full leather bad-boy which opens like a boooooooooooooooooooook) and don't even worry about dropping it.

Oh and an amazing thing about having a case for your phone is that you get to remove it and once again hold it in all its glory. Mine's out of its house right now, it's so damn purdy.

Haha I hate your mind too. Made me spit my late day coffee dang it... haha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb