Lumia 620 Camera capture delay (saving to sd card)

rcmarvin

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Do anyone encountered delay when taking picture with Lumia 620? After I half-press the camera button and the focus is ready, I fully pressed the camera button, but the saving process took about one to two seconds. (The picture took would change if I has moved the phone during that time). The delay only happened for the first photo, the second and latter on photo capture works fine (saved within one second after I pressed the camera button).

Later, I found out that the delay only happened when I chose to save the photos to the SD card. Saving to the phone will not cause the delay. Also, if I has been using the SD card (e.g. playing music file), the delay is not noticeable. I suspected that there is some power/resource saving mechanism, that the power/service to the SD card is turned off when it is not accessed for sometime.

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I also allow my photos to be saved in SD card but even during my first try, it only took a second for the photo to be saved into the SD card. No problem though.. Video capturing seems to not be a problem too. Perhaps you want to try re-formatting the memory card and see if makes any difference? Make sure you back-up your memory card first though ;)

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Do anyone encountered delay when taking picture with Lumia 620? After I half-press the camera button and the focus is ready, I fully pressed the camera button, but the saving process took about one to two seconds. (The picture took would change if I has moved the phone during that time). The delay only happened for the first photo, the second and latter on photo capture works fine (saved within one second after I pressed the camera button).

Later, I found out that the delay only happened when I chose to save the photos to the SD card. Saving to the phone will not cause the delay. Also, if I has been using the SD card (e.g. playing music file), the delay is not noticeable. I suspected that there is some power/resource saving mechanism, that the power/service to the SD card is turned off when it is not accessed for sometime.

Do you have a cheap SD card? If you have some cheap 2-6 class MicroSD card that's the problem.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
On the 820 with the same problem, seems to be a problem with WP8 software.
Try recording 1080p videos to your SD card (about 20s), and playback, and see if you get choppy videos. I do. But I'm in no position to complain since I have a Class 4 SD card.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
On the 820 with the same problem, seems to be a problem with WP8 software.
Try recording 1080p videos to your SD card (about 20s), and playback, and see if you get choppy videos. I do. But I'm in no position to complain since I have a Class 4 SD card.

I would always recommend class 10, especially for video recording. Class 4 cards imo are pretty much waste of money.

rcmarvin

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am using a cheap micro sdcard (Sandisk Class 4). After taking the first picture, the second, the third and the remaining picture capture can be completed normally (less than one second). so a reasonable explanation I guess is that after the first capture, the OS notice that the SD card is causing too much delay and then automatically use phone storage as buffer and write to the microsd card later on?

Last edited:

rcmarvin

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I also allow my photos to be saved in SD card but even during my first try, it only took a second for the photo to be saved into the SD card. No problem though.. Video capturing seems to not be a problem too. Perhaps you want to try re-formatting the memory card and see if makes any difference? Make sure you back-up your memory card first though ;)

I've already format the SD card at the first time I inserted the micro sdcard to my phone.

rcmarvin

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
OK, I changed the MicroSD to a class 10 one, there is still a one second delay on the first photo and again no delay on the second and latter photos. Is it a software problem or I have a faulty unit?

leonkehoe

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
My wife's 620 has a noticeable delay and it has a high-end Sandisk card in it. One solution would be to write the photo to the phone's internal memory in the first instance and then move it to the SD card in the background afterwards. This is something Microsoft would have to implement of course.

anon(5725333)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed this problem with my 620. Quite a delay on the first shot, enough for it often to be useless. I was saving to the class 6 SD card but changed it back to phone memory with no change. I've also rebooted the phone. Any ideas on this one?

anon(5725333)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so the only way I could solve this was to remove the SD card from the phone. Works absolutely fine now. I just can't understand why, and seems to me to be a big flaw with the software.

Eas195

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so the only way I could solve this was to remove the SD card from the phone. Works absolutely fine now. I just can't understand why, and seems to me to be a big flaw with the software.

It's about the camera issue. Maybe an update for the OS or the firmware will fix this...

OK, I changed the MicroSD to a class 10 one, there is still a one second delay on the first photo and again no delay on the second and latter photos. Is it a software problem or I have a faulty unit?

Even with my 32GB MicroSD card with UHS-1 transfer capability, there is still 1-2 second delaying of capturing photos. Well, it must be an OS problem, and we should bring this to Microsoft, shouldn't we?

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. Class 10 sandisk card, first picture takes over a second before it captures the picture. All subsequent photo's are instant though, if I quit out of the camera app and go back to it, there is another 1-2 second delay on the first picture.

LuisCamachoDev

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been playing around with this issue and it seems like this can be fixed by formatting your memory card to exFAT with 64kb cluster size.
Can anyone else play around with this setting and let the rest of us know if this is working for them as well? Thanks!

I'm using a Sandisk Ultra card with 16Gb of storage, Class 10 + UHS 1 like this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-mic...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU1973683

EDIT 1: I've just format the microSD card back to FAT32 with 8kb clusters, and I can confirm the problem is back, even with memory card completely empty. I've also tested with 16kb clusters and it's still there.
I'll retest this with exFAT with 32kb and 64kb clusters and report back.

EDIT 2: The delay is still there with exFAT with 32kb clusters, it's less than FAT32/8kb but it's still present on an empty card.
EDIT 3: Delay still present with exFAT and 64kb clusters. I can't tell if the delay is longer than with 32kb. Will test further.

EDIT 4: I've tested it further and the delay is smaller in exFAT with 64kb clusters. It's unadvisable to use larger clusters in a 16Gb card, so I can't go any further, but people with 32 and 64 Gb cards may want to try a 128kb cluster size.

P.S.: The feelling that I get is that WP8 shuts down the memory card after a couple of minutes and then when you try to take a photo it has to wait for the card to wake up. Quite stupid really, there should be a memory buffer for this kind of things. :-/

EDIT 5: Seems like there's a side effect to have the SD card in exFAT format... you can't sync anything anymore. You have to manage things by hand.

Last edited:

stomms

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here:( Any solution?
Also it seems that photos are blurry sometimes after this delay:(

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member