So I've had my Lumia 920 for about a month now..

kennethsd

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
And I'm still not satisfied with the battery. I know battery issue is a pan to deal with here and I'm truly sorry. I did a soft/hard reset, fully drained the battery about 4 times now, turned off all the things i don't use, but yet, it still drop about 5% per hour with barely/light usage. I mostly text 25-50 messages per hour (could this be the problem? that would be odd) and it would drop about 10%. This is my third Lumia 920 and I really don't feel like going through another process of getting another one. Any suggestions? Thanks!

sanders2232

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
5% per hour....I'm sorry but that is just funny....people need to get over their battery %...If you make it through a whole day then your good and lucky most would say.

There is nothing wrong with the battery on all these Lumia 920's, sure some might have it worse then others but there is not magical update that is going to make everyone's battery last 2 full days without charging it.

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And I'm still not satisfied with the battery. I know battery issue is a pan to deal with here and I'm truly sorry. I did a soft/hard reset, fully drained the battery about 4 times now, turned off all the things i don't use, but yet, it still drop about 5% per hour with barely/light usage. I mostly text 25-50 messages per hour (could this be the problem? that would be odd) and it would drop about 10%. This is my third Lumia 920 and I really don't feel like going through another process of getting another one. Any suggestions? Thanks!

It sounds a little bit high, just check all settings once again - all what you can see on applications page (just go "settings" - "applications" - "System" - and check all there one by one) ... energy consumption should not exceed 2 % on idle (3G mobile cellular)... but of course, if you are checking your battery level all the time, then it will consume much more than that (a display is one of the biggest energy consumer) and be patient, it needs over a week without any resets, until an energy consumption and battery will be matured (stable) ... and if you have a high energy consumption without any reason, then restart your cp and check the battery level again, as sometimes that battery apps is fooling you (it will give you a correct and higher % after restart) ... hope that it will help you as it is a great phone with a great battery life ... :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
5% per hour....I'm sorry but that is just funny....people need to get over their battery %...If you make it through a whole day then your good and lucky most would say.

There is nothing wrong with the battery on all these Lumia 920's, sure some might have it worse then others but there is not magical update that is going to make everyone's battery last 2 full days without charging it.
I've charged all of my smartphones (Symbian/BlackBerry/Windows Phone) every night. It's something I've had to do as long as I've used smartphones. The days of charging only a couple times a week went away when I stopped using feature phones.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I do agree with you. It seems people are expecting more high powered devices and longer run times. I don't think it is to much to ask for a whole days usage but I know people who whine because they are not getting the battery usage they had on their iPhone 3gs. They don't take into account dual core processors and bigger screens zap more power. I just think some people are unrealistic. And 5% an hour with avg 40 txt msg I feel is acceptable. That's a good 18hrs between charges.

namurell

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

A full day of battery life would be fine. However when your phone drains in three to four hours without touching it, there is an issue. Some of the phones seem great, my 920 will last two days with moderate use. My wifes 920 wont last half a day of sitting untouched. Still not sure if it is a hardware vs a software issue, but someone at MS/Nokia/HTC/ etc (namely MS as this seems to be happening across several manuf.) needs to get on top of their quality control.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, 5% consumption while idling is indeed too high. I can think of two reasons:
1) Your phone is still too new. You need to use it for longer than just 4 cycles for the battery to really settle down (at least that applies for me, it used to use quite a lot, but now I can easy go 2 days idle, with occasional messaging or calling, bluetooth always on, 3g)
2) Your cellular reception is poor. Your phone keeps on looking for stronger signals. That occurs at my work place, my phone just gets somewhat warm usually when I am at work. During off days, my phone battery just lasts very long.

kennethsd

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I think what's funny is that a lot of people are having issues with battery when their phone is on idle or light usage that loses over 5% and some even turn off some features that would make a smartphone "smart". But thank you for sharing though.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
2) Your cellular reception is poor. Your phone keeps on looking for stronger signals. That occurs at my work place, my phone just gets somewhat warm usually when I am at work. During off days, my phone battery just lasts very long.
This is absolutely true.

kennethsd

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

This is what I've been thinking as well. I noticed that my signal strength is always moving from 2-4 bars consistently and figured it may cause battery drainage.

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is what I've been thinking as well. I noticed that my signal strength is always moving from 2-4 bars consistently and figured it may cause battery drainage.

2-4 bars sounds to be OK ... try to set your cellular network to 3G as a maximum mobile network connection speed (in settings), to see does it make any difference ? (I use 3G as a maximum speed for cellular network - I have not a 4G contract, so no point to use 4G setting there) ....

kennethsd

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
2-4 bars sounds to be OK ... try to set your cellular network to 3G as a maximum mobile network connection speed (in settings), to see does it make any difference ? (I use 3G as a maximum speed for cellular network - I have not a 4G contract, so no point to use 4G setting there) ....

Sadly, I have att which only allows 4G/LTE, so I just turn it off most of the time.

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
"WiFi always on" drained my battery 4-5% an hour in standby. I disabled this function, and I get 1-1.5% per hour (in standby).

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"WiFi always on" drained my battery 4-5% an hour in standby. I disabled this function, and I get 1-1.5% per hour (in standby).

Did you try to wi-fi on, but with untick all advanced settings of wi-fi ? ... my idle is around the same, 1,5 % per hour, but I have not so high idle with wi-fi ... but I have disabled all advanced settings of wi-fi - as I feel that there is no need for them ...

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Let me just say, that 25-50 messages per hour is a lot and it is completely understandable, that you may be loosing 5-10% juice.
it all may depend for example on your screen brightness, if it is medium/high, then completely understandable.

When you write a message, the screen is all the time on and touch screen sensors use up a little bit of juice as well, especially if for example you have high sensitivity turned on.

Having said that, my Lumia 920 after Portico update and hard reset uses 6-7% over night with wifi turned on, 2-4% over night with wifi turned off (no 3g data enabled).

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Did you try to wi-fi on, but with untick all advanced settings of wi-fi ? ... my idle is around the same, 1,5 % per hour, but I have not so high idle with wi-fi ... but I have disabled all advanced settings of wi-fi - as I feel that there is no need for them ...
Sorry I wasn't clear: I have WiFi enabled, but in Advanced settings I unchecked "Keep WiFi on when screen times out" (all other settings in Advanced are checked). That helped on battery life...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo