So I've had my Lumia 920 for about a month now..

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I wasn't clear: I have WiFi enabled, but in Advanced settings I unchecked "Keep WiFi on when screen times out" (all other settings in Advanced are checked). That helped on battery life...

I have ALL advanced wi-fi settings unticked ... to save my battery, as there is not usually any need for these settings ... I am online in internet and in fb 24/7 through my 3G internet, but I need wi-fi only rarely (not all the time and no hotspots usually, mainly wi-fi at my home and at my work) ...

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think most battery problems are app related. I restored my replacement phone and only made one change (installed a battery meter app) which had a profound effect on battery life.

After a few days I started thinking that I might have been sent a duff one. Battery usage BTW was 5%-6% an hour with 3 background tasks, 3 push email accounts, WiFi always on and moderate/heavy use so hardly terrible but not the stellar performance of before.

After uninstalling the specific app everything went back to normal if not better. I now end the day with 65%-70% with the same usage patterns.

I have all the "smart" features enabled except NFC, this needs to be looked at by MS/Nokia, it seems to be a problem as far as battery use is concerned.

Also, when using the phone for navigation I use a car charger, the battery won't last long when GPS is in use but this is to be expected.

It is not a coincidence that all dedicated Sat-Navs are designed to be always plugged in, GPS has a massive power drain.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
My first 920's battery didnt even make it to 10h battery life. I sent it to Nokia and got a new one. This one's battery lasts easily 1,5 days. Maybe even two days.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
And I'm still not satisfied with the battery. I know battery issue is a pan to deal with here and I'm truly sorry. I did a soft/hard reset, fully drained the battery about 4 times now, turned off all the things i don't use, but yet, it still drop about 5% per hour with barely/light usage. I mostly text 25-50 messages per hour (could this be the problem? that would be odd) and it would drop about 10%. This is my third Lumia 920 and I really don't feel like going through another process of getting another one. Any suggestions? Thanks!

doing 50 texts does indeed use alot of battery power. keep in mind that the lumia 920's display "The Lumia 920 has a 114 mm (4.5 inch) curved glass display running at WXGA (1280 ? 768) resolution with an aspect ratio of 15:9 using enhanced IPS screen technology which Nokia calls "PureMotion HD+". It has less than 9 ms average transition times, where conventional IPS LCDs have an average of 23 ms, which reduces motion blur.[SUP][10][/SUP] The screen's backlight luminance reserve, together with a new automatic adaptive system for adjusting brightness, color and contrast details to compensate for lighting". this has a huge affect on battery consumption. this IPS display is basically supercharged with a refresh rate of 60hz. this is why it looks so damn good and moves so fluid. so if you text then put your phone down and leave the screen on letting it turn off on its own, you are further draining your battery because your screen is not in use waiting for the screen timeout to kick in. and depending on howq long you have the timeout set to this can increase battery drain also. the screen is always going to be the biggest battery drain on a smartphone. it's true on my galaxy s3 when looking at the battery manager and it's true on my lumia 920. so constantly turning off your screen 50 times to text and leaving it on after you text while waiting for the screen timeout to kick in does indeed drain your battery 5-10% per hour. this also happens on my galaxy s3 with the amoled display. plus screen brightness also comes into factor. when you take all of this into account, 5-10% battery drain for that many text messages in an hour isnt really that bad. i might do 50 text messages in a day, an hour boggles my mind. hahaha.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, 5% consumption while idling is indeed too high. I can think of two reasons:

2) Your cellular reception is poor. Your phone keeps on looking for stronger signals. That occurs at my work place, my phone just gets somewhat warm usually when I am at work. During off days, my phone battery just lasts very long.

There is an easy test to see if this has anything to do with the battery drain... turn off wireless for a couple of hours!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
There is an easy test to see if this has anything to do with the battery drain... turn off wireless for a couple of hours!

ok... I decided to do this myself. So I turned the phone into AirPlane mode.... no Wifi/Cell/NFC.

Result - battery drain the same before as after over a couple of hours...

As I thought: the issue is to do with rogue apps/OS, not bad cell service.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I did mine last night.. Left the phone at 65%. Put it in airplane mode. Woke up 7 hours later. it was at the 52%.

Meh. Microsoft/Nokia will fix this soon enough. I'm pretty sure they probably already have an update in the works but they want to push out portico first globally. Then a few weeks later, we should get another update.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
My battery life has improved dramatically by setting the gmail to manual sync. I forward all my gmail messages to my windows live account. So far it's 20 plus hours compared to 6 to 8 hours before. This is on my 820.

And I'm still not satisfied with the battery. I know battery issue is a pan to deal with here and I'm truly sorry. I did a soft/hard reset, fully drained the battery about 4 times now, turned off all the things i don't use, but yet, it still drop about 5% per hour with barely/light usage. I mostly text 25-50 messages per hour (could this be the problem? that would be odd) and it would drop about 10%. This is my third Lumia 920 and I really don't feel like going through another process of getting another one. Any suggestions? Thanks!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has improved dramatically by setting the gmail to manual sync. I forward all my gmail messages to my windows live account. So far it's 20 plus hours compared to 6 to 8 hours before. This is on my 820.

I've had 5 gmail accounts running for 12 hours with no drain. So it's not that. Also, you'd expect Airplane mode to stop that as the accounts can't sync anyway!

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
In my case, the phone, which is 820 and has less battery than 920, is now more than 9 hours and expected to last about 1 day (according to battery sense). I just follow one of the tips here. This included receiving calls for about 2 hours, opening a Google Reader client and surfing Internet.
Previously, I used the phone as a second phone and can easily get 1 day without using data. Now I am using it as the main phone. I can leave my Samsung Tab 3G at home now.
Perhaps there is some settings on your phone that drain your battery.

I've had 5 gmail accounts running for 12 hours with no drain. So it's not that. Also, you'd expect Airplane mode to stop that as the accounts can't sync anyway!

modelomaestro22

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I initially got some bad battery life but once I deleted a battery widget app and cut down apps running in the background to three I've been getting over a day easy! 😃

alljeep

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Turn off "location" in settings. Your apps will still update live tiles based on rough location determinations from cell tower locations, but, the GPS will no longer be constantly turning on and off to get an exact location for each and every application that is asking for such. My battery drain went from 10% per hour at idle down to 1.2% per hour at idle.

helloandrewc

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
when i'm in an LTE area, my battery barely makes it through the day. i also spent a lot of time in an area with only HSPA+ and my battery lasted about two days

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro