Lumia 920 AUX Audio

Christian Santos1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
From out of the box, my Lumia has had HORRID playback via Aux. Seeing as it can't be connected USB and the Bluetooth audio is quieter than AUX or USB, AUX is the best way to go. My issue is, when I plug in the AUX, the audio is static prone and is really really quiet. Toying with the setting doesn't help. Anyone know how to fix this? I use headphones and there is no issue...:eek:rly:

weis

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I think the reason is that normal headphones are meant for pocket audio players (i.e. a smart phone) and they have low resistance (hence louder) while HIFIs with AUX-in usually have much higher resistance, that's why it's good to have an (even small) amplifier if you hook up small music player with HIFI...

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, this has been my experience as well. Bluetooth audio actually seems better than using the headphone jack, although both require the volume to be cranked way up.

Christian Santos1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I wonder is this is something I have to suffer through, leaving an iPhone or if they will address their issues asap. Honestly, not regretting the change, but I do miss how my iPhone never messed up.

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree with weis here. AUX/Bluetooth, and wireless transmission of music, often requires a much stronger output from the source of music. I work in a studio, so I know that.

But, try to use the "sound" option under settings. It seems to have some enhancements there, as well as an EQ. Might give an extra boost!

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I agree, I wonder is this is something I have to suffer through, leaving an iPhone or if they will address their issues asap. Honestly, not regretting the change, but I do miss how my iPhone never messed up.

Every Windows Phone I've owned (Focus, Quantum, Lumia 900, Lumia 920) has behaved the exact same way, so I suspect it's not something that's getting fixed anytime soon.

weis

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
In my experience all common small players (phone, mp3 player, media player) behave more or less the same, there is nothing to do with the quality of the player and nothing really to fix, it's how they meant to work, i.e. drive a headphone... your best bet is to have an amplifier if you want to work with AUX, although playing with the audio setting might help a little...

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine works fine in my car. I don't have any static. I can keep the volume at 20 or so on the phone and it is plenty loud.

Maybe the cable is bad? Are you charging it at the same time? If so, remove the charge cable and see if that helps.

MSkulker

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My daughter had a similar issue when she plugged into the AUX in my truck with her 920. It seemed like maybe the cable wasn't inserting fully (and pushing harder on it didn't help). We swapped it out for a different cable and the problem is gone - sound is great.

Christian Santos1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'll have to see if aux cable is the issue, it's number two so far. But if you fiiiiiiiiiiiiiinely pull it out of the jack just a little, it work magically all the sudden. Oh well. I guess maybe I'll find one that works, one day.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Just a few points which may help to give some general guidance, YMMV.

[1] Yes, the cable "can" make a difference. Look for a good aftermarket cable from a trusted brand.
[2] When using your headphone output to run through an AUX input, generally, you want to have the volume on the source (the phone) up high, and then do the controlling with your AUX preamp controls. (Remember to start with your AUX device at LOW volume, once your phone is set to say 75%, then uise volume control on your AUX amp).
[3] Regarding headphones, check the "Sensitivity rating" of the headphones, it is listed in db (decibels), and the higher the number, generally, the "more sound" you get from them compared to another pair that have a lower sensitivity. (you also need to consider the impedance).

Ayush_WP

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Even I Find this very very frustrating. Dont know if this is what the OP meant, but when i am playing music in the car via AUX. all my friends iPhone's and Blackberry's seem to play it loud enough. But when i play it from my Lumia. Everyone goes like "Make it louder!" while its all the way up to 30.

Its a problem with WP and Microsoft must increase the audio output from the phone.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Even I Find this very very frustrating. Dont know if this is what the OP meant, but when i am playing music in the car via AUX. all my friends iPhone's and Blackberry's seem to play it loud enough. But when i play it from my Lumia. Everyone goes like "Make it louder!" while its all the way up to 30.

Its a problem with WP and Microsoft must increase the audio output from the phone.

Can you not just turn the volume up on the car's audio player??? I think the reson the phone does not get crazy loud with a AUX cable pluged in is because the phone does not know if it is an AUX cable or headphones. You don't and Nokia doesn't want to damage your hearing. That is why you have two volume controls when using AUX. One on the phone and one on the device you are pluging it in to.

arnieman

May 18, 2012
Visit site

Yeah it seems to be a common thing with windows phones. IPhones have it cranked while leaving the car stereo on the same volume, I plug my 920 in and its hardly hearable. I had to crank the stereo almost 3 times as much as it was from the iPhone volume to hear it at a good level.
And yes my phone was cranked to 30

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs