Nokia just replaced my 920 - No more crashes!

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I was having pretty bad crashing/freezing issues with my 920, even after the Portico update (in fact, it got worse after Portico, up from 1-2 a week to 2-3 / day). Also had all sorts of terrible issues with the ambient light sensor being really flaky and the proximity sensor not working and some pretty bad overheating.

Sent the device back to Nokia instead of doing a swap with AT&T because at the time, AT&T had no yellows in stock. Shipped it to Nokia on 1/16 using a pre-paid 2-day shipping label they provided. They sent it back to me using UPS overnight on 1/28, so I got it back on 1/29. 6 business days excluding shipping, so that's not terrible.

I've only been using it for a day, but so far so good. No crashes yet (knock on wood) and no overheating issues. Proximity sensor also works correctly now. Did a factory reset soon after I got it so I could do the app/text restore. That actually worked, whereas previously, it would brick my phone and I had to do the restore process outlined in this forum.

Some random notes:
- No crashes when using Nokia Drive so far. Previously, that was a guaranteed way to cause the phone to freeze within a minute or two
- No crashes charging so far, using USB or wireless
- Portico was preloaded
- This appears to be a brand new phone (new IMEI). The hairlines scratches in my old housing and a couple on the screen are gone. Could be refurbished I suppose but there's nothing to indicate that's the case

So for everyone that's having similar issues to the ones I was having, definitely don't wait... exchange it with Nokia or AT&T.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, these freezing and rebooting issues are most likely hardware issues. I couldn't find anything that could freeze my phone nor reboot it.

digaos

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I had freezing issues with a couple of black Lumias but 48 hs with a new red one, and didn't happen once. By freezing I mean not waking up from sleep, not sure if that's what you mean.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I had freezing issues with a couple of black Lumias but 48 hs with a new red one, and didn't happen once. By freezing I mean not waking up from sleep, not sure if that's what you mean.

Yes and no. For me the freezing / crashing manifested itself in two ways - the phone would not come back on when sleeping (with the screen off) as you say, but it would also just freeze up and not respond to button presses at all while the screen was on. I suspect the same thing was happening in both cases where the phone had essentially locked up, one with the screen on and one with the screen off.

Either way, it hasn't happened once in about two days now. Still knocking on wood, but looks like the replacement is a winner. Really have to wonder what the faulty component was.

digaos

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
For me the freezing / crashing manifested itself in two ways - the phone would not come back on when sleeping (with the screen off) as you say, but it would also just freeze up and not respond to button presses at all while the screen was on. I suspect the same thing was happening in both cases where the phone had essentially locked up, one with the screen on and one with the screen off.

I never had the freezing happening while I was using the phone. It was always "dying on its sleep".

After 48 hs and not a single issue with my current phone, I decided to take the next step: Using my wireless charger. Let's see how that goes.

sf_foo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys! Please do keep us updated. I am with Rogers, have yet to speak to them about my problem. I'd like to know how much it costed you guys to receive a new 920 from nokia, shipping and everything included. How were you contacted while your phone was gone?

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys! Please do keep us updated. I am with Rogers, have yet to speak to them about my problem. I'd like to know how much it costed you guys to receive a new 920 from nokia, shipping and everything included. How were you contacted while your phone was gone?

The cost to do the swap with Nokia was zero. They provided the shipping label to send to them and they also paid for return shipping. If it were me though, I'd check with Rogers first to see if they can do some sort of device swap. I'm on AT&T and they were willing to send me a new device before I returned my old one - Nokia doesn't seem to have anything like that. Fortunately for me, I've been lazy and hadn't gotten around to selling my L900 yet so I just used that in the interim. Like I said, the reason I went with them instead of AT&T was because AT&T, at the time, was not going to be able to replace my yellow with a yellow (black and red were the only two options at the time). I'm happy with the service Nokia provided, however it was definitely more of a hassle than being able to do a straight device swap.

On a different note, one think I had noticed with this phone was that the crazy issue with the auto screen dimming seemed to be gone for the most part. It still changed a little but, but not much. Today I found out that the Display+Touch app had not been updated yet - I got a marketplace notification to update that to the version that came out in early December. I haven't decided if I actually want to apply that update or not. The twitchyness of it on my original phone was unbearable. I haven't decided if I want to actually apply this update yet. I'm afraid of what may happen since I can't revert back to the old version. I'm tempted to though because if it's awful, I'm only 2 days since a fresh install so it won't be too big of a hassle to do a hard reset to get rid of it.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the freezing issue, and sent it back via Rogers repair twice. Take it in to the Rogers store, and they cover shipping etc. However, all they did at the service center was reinstall the OS both times, which didn't fix the damn problem. The last time, it actually came back with the additional problem of the Compass no longer working.

This time, I shipped it to Nokia (via Nokia.ca repair link). Cost me $32 FedEx Ground. Sent it off yesterday, we'll see what the turnaround is.

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? How do I do this? Because my phone crashes all the damn time, especially since "Portico." My ambient light sensor makes me crazy. And sometimes I find it hot in my pocket (pretty sure GPS decided to turn on, since I've got the "dot") and my battery drops like a brick.

If I just ask nicely they'll replace it?

Beltelmel

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
The cost to do the swap with Nokia was zero. They provided the shipping label to send to them and they also paid for return shipping. If it were me though, I'd check with Rogers first to see if they can do some sort of device swap. I'm on AT&T and they were willing to send me a new device before I returned my old one - Nokia doesn't seem to have anything like that. Fortunately for me, I've been lazy and hadn't gotten around to selling my L900 yet so I just used that in the interim. Like I said, the reason I went with them instead of AT&T was because AT&T, at the time, was not going to be able to replace my yellow with a yellow (black and red were the only two options at the time). I'm happy with the service Nokia provided, however it was definitely more of a hassle than being able to do a straight device swap.

On a different note, one think I had noticed with this phone was that the crazy issue with the auto screen dimming seemed to be gone for the most part. It still changed a little but, but not much. Today I found out that the Display+Touch app had not been updated yet - I got a marketplace notification to update that to the version that came out in early December. I haven't decided if I actually want to apply that update or not. The twitchyness of it on my original phone was unbearable. I haven't decided if I want to actually apply this update yet. I'm afraid of what may happen since I can't revert back to the old version. I'm tempted to though because if it's awful, I'm only 2 days since a fresh install so it won't be too big of a hassle to do a hard reset to get rid of it.

My "display + touch" update has been in my marketplace tile for a month now. I will not install it. When I received my warranty replacement I experimented (by hard resetting the phone twice) and found that that particular update negatively affected my screen brightness. It made the fluctuations much more noticeable and in dimly lit rooms, made the screen unbearably dim. I'm not installing it.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? How do I do this? Because my phone crashes all the damn time, especially since "Portico." My ambient light sensor makes me crazy. And sometimes I find it hot in my pocket (pretty sure GPS decided to turn on, since I've got the "dot") and my battery drops like a brick.

If I just ask nicely they'll replace it?

If you want to go through Nokia, just do a chat on their website (not even sure if that's a requirement). They'll point you to this website:

Troubleshooting - Nokia - USA

That's for US BTW, don't know if there's a different one for other countries. On that form, just fill out your IMEI number and there will be an automated process to send your phone to them for analysis. You don't need to get "approval" or anything like that. The only PITA for me was that they don't have a loaner phone option, but since I still had my 900, it worked out pretty well.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
ATT replaced my first phone, but it had audio issues, so I just called them back today and the woman I spoke with was extremely nice. She told me to send back the replace (prepaid shipping box) and in the mean time, she will send me out another replacement with priority shipping at no cost.

No bad I think.

DTSDude

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Same, had bad crash/freeze/reboot issues with my first phone. Replaced two weeks ago, not a crash since. There's always a chance it was something to do with the firmware but I can't help but think that it has to be hardware. Most likely memory.

CrimsonTear

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
That's pretty weird, i have got my replacement today. It seems brand new. Nokia also sent my old Lumia back to me at the same time (2 separate packages). Does it happen to anyone?

hamzie11

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Nokia repair said they replaced the parts in my phone.. so i wont be getting a new one.. but as long as it doesnt lock up .. i will be happy!

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Nokia repair said they replaced the parts in my phone.. so i wont be getting a new one.. but as long as it doesnt lock up .. i will be happy!

So there is hope for me also. Serious rebooting problem, phone to service and what did they do? Well, installed Portico and that's it. Got phone back, installed SIM -card and three reboots on that day. Now phone went back after one day of use and I really hope that they change the parts inside.

Also the screen brightness adjustment went down the toilet with portico update. Didn't have any problems with that before service.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos