thinking of moving from i5 to 8x

rhath223

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
hi guys, i currently am an iphone user, but am quite bored of iphone as a phone, i also have an ipad and ipod touch, so games, apps is not a major issue.

But what are your thoughts on moving? recommended / not recommended?

i did have a nokia lumia 800 like 6 months ago. but sold it due to notifications not working properly (ie fbook, twitter). other than that it was fine as a phone.

I am thinking of switching to htc 8x, as the lumia 920 seems massive n heavy.

Are FB notifications working as it should now? Music and Camera is good? Any alternative to uploading songs aside from using zune?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Well Windows Phone 8 no longer uses Zune. It supports drag and drop, and will also sync your iTunes collection through the WP8 PC app. There are a few pretty serious issues with Xbox Music right now, which are well documented in these forums. I would recommend waiting until these issues are sorted out before switching, if possible... If your carrier has an exchange policy, you could try it out. I have a personal mistrust for HTC products due to my horrible experience with my last phone, an HD7. The 8X looks pretty good, though. I've seen mixed reviews on battery life, which was my biggest issue with my HD7. I could kill it in under 2 hours just by web browsing or playing a game. On my Ativ S, that's like 5% of the battery. In fact, the Ativ is the one I'd recommend, if you can get your hands on one... Since you don't like the 920.

Honestly, WP8 is awesome, and since the apps thing isn't an issue for you there's really no reason not to try it out. Before you decide, however, I recommend reading this article:

http://m.windowscentral.com/8-things-microsoft-needs-fix-windows-phone-8

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
hi guys, i currently am an iphone user, but am quite bored of iphone as a phone, i also have an ipad and ipod touch, so games, apps is not a major issue.

i did have a nokia lumia 800 like 6 months ago. but sold it due to notifications not working properly (ie fbook, twitter). other than that it was fine as a phone.

Are FB notifications working as it should now? Music and Camera is good? Any alternative to uploading songs aside from using zune?

I purchased an HTC 8X and after the updates, this phone is great. If you get one, it will already have the update.

Battery life is actually pretty good too. It all depends on what you set up.

I have:
2 email accounts syncing, 1/upon arrive, and the other every hour. Outlook/Google.

I also have the HTC hub, Metrotube, Gasbuddy, WPcentral and a few other apps like My Account from Tmobile, updating with live tiles.

I don't know if Facebook or Twitter are notifying properly. I use the built in features to chat (Facebook chat "natively"), post statues (fb, Twitter, LinkedIn).

I love the phone, but it can heat up sometimes when you have alot of things going on, like listening to music, while watching videos. Your battery will certainly die playing games for hrs like the other poster told you. I can get through a full day with life to spare with moderate usage.

Camera:

The camera is extremely good in daylight. It takes pictures faster than my S3 (in daylight) and shots are on par with each other. It is ok with inside pics tho. Low light ability is ok too, but it is better than my S3. You will be ok with the camera.

Music:

You can use Windows media player or file explorer. ITunes music is compatible but have heard some inconsistencies regarding DRM and album pics and info.

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been using iPhone for quite a while and I also own an iPad, iMac, MBP.. I switched to WP8, cause I was bored of iOS, all I can say that I love it love it love it - and that it works quite well together with all my other devices!!

As an app developer I have an iOS, Android and WP8 device and I really love the WP8 most!! Don't like Android and I am (as already said) bored of iOS! WP8 is innovative and intuitive!

I can highly recommend WP8 and the 8X as well!!

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely recommend the 8x, it is one of the nicest pieces of hardware I have ever owned. Xbox music definitely has some issues, but as long as you go into the settings and turn off the Connect with Xbox Music setting before you sync your music it won't screw it all up once you do. The Windows 8 sync app is really simple but actually works really well. I don't know about Facebook, but there are a bunch of really good Twitter apps available so I'm sure that you could find one that gives you the exact notifications that you want.

jdriscoll636

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't get why everyone says the L920 is heavy. I personally don't mind the weight of the phone, but to each their own. Also I guess I don't notice a difference since I came from an HTC EVO4G.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

I had the iPhone 4, won an iPhone 5 from work and ended up selling it unopened pretty much because I have an iPad and iPhone 4. I don't feel I'm missing much on the iOS front. I have the 8X and was using it during thattime as a daily driver and it grew on me. I customized my home screen, got my Zune pass setup and transferred my contacts over through GMail. I don't use facebook much, but when I do I just access it through the browser. I used to be on it all the time but became bored of it, much like you with your iPhone.

I use Verizon but seriously considered staying with iOS or going back to Android until a Lumia 920 came around...then I held it and decided I didn't want something that size in my pocket everyday. Still no Lumia 920 on VZW so I jumped on the 8X wagon.

For me Music synced with no real issue and what I forgot to bring over, I download through the XBOX music store over wifi. Zune pass handles it for the most part for me. I haven't synced since I first got the phone.

Camera is good but not perfect. I am underwhelmed by the wide-angle lens on the front but the rear camera is great for all the pics I've taken so far.

NELSON8x

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I got rid of my iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 for my 8x. It was a great decision.

A week later I used both phones and at the end of the day when I went back to the 8x I knew I made a great decision. I can't stand swyping left or right to see more apps. I love how the tiles fit together so nicely.

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Even my wife, an apple fan girl admits its a really good phone. She can only find one fault, lack of one app. Since this is the first if my phones she liked, and.i gave to agree with all the other posts, get it!

I have flashed so many roms on my old Imagio and TB, but this is the first phone I plan on never rooting or whatever we call it on WP8. It simply works!

GET IT, you wont be disappointed.
Sent from my wicked sexy HTC 8X windows phone using Board Express

Sav_OK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
i got rid of my galaxy s3 for a htc 8x, now am getting a iphone 5, and the htc is going to the wife, it is a good phone, but buggy things like the crackling sound from the speakers, wifi disconnection etc... annoy me, so for now, atleast...its good bye wp8 !

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
i got rid of my galaxy s3 for a htc 8x, now am getting a iphone 5, and the htc is going to the wife, it is a good phone, but buggy things like the crackling sound from the speakers, wifi disconnection etc... annoy me, so for now, atleast...its good bye wp8 !

You could always exchange a lemon for a working phone. 😄

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Poor wife.....she gets the lemon and you get new phone. Wouldn't happen at my house! ;-)

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The 8X is absolutely an amazing phone, I'm still trying to push it to it's limits but have not been able to. This phone simply handles anything I throw at it without fuss. As for battery life I can make it through a work or social day easily without needing to carry a portable charger like I had to do with my HD7. I also had no problems syncing music through Windows media player, You won't be disappointed

friedmjb

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Other than NFC and a slightly larger screen, there is nothing you will benefit from by moving to the 8X. I have one, and wish I could go back to Android, but my company has not yet certified any Android devices on Verizon.

There are too many outstanding bugs with Windows Phone 8. It's a "nice" phone, but not a "great" phone.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a blue 8X and the VZW employee 8X and both are phenomenal and I wouldn't trade them for a thing (except maybe a Z10). Both work great, battery lasts all day (Hotmail syncing set to push, Gmail 1 set to hourly, shared Gmail set to 15 minutes, Words with Friends and Draw Something pushing, WP Central in the background, all Skydrive back ups on). I will advise to try and find a newer hardware model. My blue 8X has the soft coating while my gray one has the newer harder coating. I've had none of the software or hardware malfunctions on my gray 8X.

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a blue 8X and the VZW employee 8X and both are phenomenal and I wouldn't trade them for a thing (except maybe a Z10). Both work great, battery lasts all day (Hotmail syncing set to push, Gmail 1 set to hourly, shared Gmail set to 15 minutes, Words with Friends and Draw Something pushing, WP Central in the background, all Skydrive back ups on). I will advise to try and find a newer hardware model. My blue 8X has the soft coating while my gray one has the newer harder coating. I've had none of the software or hardware malfunctions on my gray 8X.

What is the hardware revision numbers on both phones?

bb1137

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
ive had my 8x for over a month, and i love it! would never go back to android. apps are getting there, and the battery is very good.

rhath223

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the all the responses you guys, i decided i will take the leap and get an 8x. If it doesnt work out, I can always wait and swap when i5s or i6 comes out.

Been very helpful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)