Yet another battery life problem post

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been very happy with my Lumia 920 but for some reason the past couple of days it has died within 8 hours of being pulled off the charger!

I have not installed any new apps and I barely use the phone during the workday. It previously would still be at around 70% when I would get home from work but now it won't even last a 9 hour workday.

I checked the background apps and I only have Facebook, Weather, and Nokia City Lens on. This has been the same since I got the phone.

The only thing I noticed is that I was listening to some Nokia Music the other day so when I play with the volume control the last song I paused in is still listed. Is that normal?

Aside from that I can't think of why my battery life has started to stink. I know this question has been asked 1 million times but any suggestions?

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
charge it to 100% leave overnight when you sleep, so what it is. If it is under 95%, return the phone.

Closeout anything running by pressing on the back button, turn off bluetooh, nfc, leave your typical background tasks on. See what happens.

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
charge it to 100% leave overnight when you sleep, so what it is. If it is under 95%, return the phone.

Closeout anything running by pressing on the back button, turn off bluetooh, nfc, leave your typical background tasks on. See what happens.

It always sits on the charger at night and is at 100% in the morning.

Out of curiosity around lunch I looked at the battery in the "settings" and it still showed 97%. So just between 12pm-6pm it went down to 0%.

Restart the phone -- turn off, then on. That should help clear out anything unusual.

It restarted automatically when the battery died. It's at 32% now and I just unplugged it from my computer's USB port. I'll see how quickly the battery runs down now.

Thank you both for your responses!

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
so it seems that your battery counter might be broken? if that 0% shutoff and restart with 30% thing persist, try to do a hard reset. If it does fix, try to flash it, but remember to do backup in the setting menu. If it still does the same thing then you should probably ask for a replacement, soon, before its too late.

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
so it seems that your battery counter might be broken? if that 0% shutoff and restart with 30% thing persist, try to do a hard reset. If it does fix, try to flash it, but remember to do backup in the setting menu. If it still does the same thing then you should probably ask for a replacement, soon, before its too late.

It's possible it just needed recalibration. We'll see now. I've had it off the charger for about an hour and it's still at 100%. I'll report my findings at the end of the day.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Anytime you start getting weird battery problems try a soft reset. That should clear out any processes that are hung. The only other thing to look for is signal strength. Could be provider is doing some work on towers and signal is weak causing phone to boost power to antennae. Also, like posted earlier. Charge phone fully and perform hard reset if problem persists. Should recalibrate battery monitor.

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Anytime you start getting weird battery problems try a soft reset. That should clear out any processes that are hung. The only other thing to look for is signal strength. Could be provider is doing some work on towers and signal is weak causing phone to boost power to antennae. Also, like posted earlier. Charge phone fully and perform hard reset if problem persists. Should recalibrate battery monitor.

I thought maybe the signal strength could have been the issue but I'm in a downtown area with multiple cells covering the area.

In any case I only have a couple of hours left in the work day and I'm still at 83% even though I've been using the phone more today than I did the past couple of days. Very strange but encouraging so far. I'll report back as the day goes on.

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Problem solved...I hope!

Restarting the phone must have fixed it. It's been 14 hours since my last charge and I've changed nothing since yesterday yet right now I sit at 63% power.

So strange how this happens but I'm glad it doesn't appear to be hardware related.

Thank you everyone for the help!

Shimoner

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling that some apps or combinations thereof overwork whatever hardware is sitting in the top-right corner of the phone and that once it reaches a certain point, it doesn't stop over-working until the phone has been shut-off even though you may have closed all relevant apps. I noticed this when in the cold - phone got hot running a game, closed game, heat abated but didn't go away (it was easier to tell it was still too warm because of how cool the room was), the battery began draining extremely fast once and after the phone initially got hot. Battery drain continued after full charge and heat remained. Shut phone off, heat disappeared, powered it back on, battery drain went down considerably and the heat stayed away - until I started playing a game for about 20 minutes or so, then the same cycle started all over again. Possibly a hardware issue, may never get fixed, but restartig your phone whenever the drain gets bad seems likely to solve the problem - hope this helped.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Its just a process getting hung up from OS or from app. Soft reset will stop all processes without question. Its software, not hardware. Believe me, I hate 920 and can't wait to be rid of it, but it isn't a hardware issue. Try a factory reset and reload your apps. Fixed mine. Some games are going to make phone run hot no matter what you do.

rm rf

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
That was a complicated way of saying:

"Open all installed applications one by one and close them by pressing the back button. Some might be waiting for your input[.] Open those too and close them systematically".

Good idea. I have occasionally battery drain that could be related to your proposed solution. I've found that a power cycle clears up the issue. Next time I'll try your idea.

Thanks.

nitin88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
"Open all installed applications one by one and close them by pressing the back button. Some might be waiting for your input[.] Open those too and close them systematically".

Dumbest idea of what you can follow. I thought I wasted 40sec watching that video for this.
Restart phone, game over.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12