08-01-2013 11:53 AM
87 1234
tools
    The main feature I want to use it for is NFC payments; but of course that will have to wait until the operators start offering secure sims. Not sure when and if that will happen in the UK. It looked like Orange was making some progress there, but I'm not sure where they are at.

In the meantime, as I've got a set of Philips Hue lights, I'll be ordering some tags for this (skip to 29sec):
    gaurav rana and dabdoub81 like this.
    02-12-2013 01:48 PM
    The main feature I want to use it for is NFC payments; but of course that will have to wait until the operators start offering secure sims. Not sure when and if that will happen in the UK. It looked like Orange was making some progress there, but I'm not sure where they are at.

In the meantime, as I've got a set of Philips Hue lights, I'll be ordering some tags for this (skip to 29sec):
    so cool
    02-13-2013 03:44 AM
    I use NFC to trigger a location-based setting (profile) in my quest to conserve my battery usage. Just bought some of these tags really cheap from Ebay (five stickers for about USD$10). I use them to turn off and turn on WiFi setting ie turn off WiFi when I am about to leave home and turn on WiFi when I arrive home. Also put the phone into airplane mode when I am about to sleep (put the NFC sticker near my bed). I use this app call EasyTag to program the NFC tags.
    dabdoub81 and AndyAndyAndy like this.
    02-14-2013 08:20 PM
    I use NFC to trigger a location-based setting (profile) in my quest to conserve my battery usage. Just bought some of these tags really cheap from Ebay (five stickers for about USD$10). I use them to turn off and turn on WiFi setting ie turn off WiFi when I am about to leave home and turn on WiFi when I arrive home. Also put the phone into airplane mode when I am about to sleep (put the NFC sticker near my bed). I use this app call EasyTag to program the NFC tags.
    link please :)
    02-14-2013 08:32 PM
    Man after reading this thread I felt that I was living in a cave
    02-14-2013 08:36 PM
    I haven't found any use for NFC yet. Maybe in the future.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk 2
    02-16-2013 03:16 AM
    Good luck.
    02-16-2013 03:39 AM
    Glad I stumbled across this thread having just got a new windows 8 phone with NFC, been wondering what I could use it for.
    Looking at Zack's suggestion I found plenty of NFC tags cheap on ebay and a link to the easy tag app in the windows store. Hope that's helpful to others too.
    02-16-2013 06:53 AM
    I one did
    I used it for this poster of the s3 saying "Come tap in your phone lol we offer this unique tech" and then got into a site saying that i did not have a s3 and go away.
    So i left.
    02-16-2013 07:23 AM
    I've got a few stickers that I regularly use.
    I've got two hidden In the dashboard of my car, one that opens my "driving" Spotify playlist, and another that opens NOKIA Drive and programs it to my home address.

@zack, how did you get your phone to turn off and on WiFi with an nfc tag?
    The best I could manage was to open the WiFi settings, or Bluetooth settings menu?
    Kei Square likes this.
    02-16-2013 11:36 AM
    I use it to bring up a clock app when I put the 920 in the wireless charging stand on my nightstand.
    02-17-2013 08:24 AM
    I read that Orange, Vodafone and O2 had set up a company (originally called JV or Joint Venture Ltd) to promote a unified method of paying for goods with NFC. I've not heard anything else recently though.
    02-23-2013 07:22 AM
    There are several apps for creating NFC tags. Buy the tags and make your tag do what you want.
    I bought 5 stickers and oh boy, its freaking cool. One opens my flashlight app in bedroom so I dunt need to stand up amd turn the light off again, one is on my work keyboard and brings up the Bluetooth option and I disable it becauseI dunt need it at work and it says me battery and one is nextto my bed to being on the Airplane mode and I turn it on the second before I fall in sleep until next morning to save battery at night. Its so cool.

I just wish Nokia could have Profiles so I could set different profiles with different settings ( Vibrate on/off, Volume ... ) and have the Profile activated on differenet places
    lita_g likes this.
    02-27-2013 02:44 AM
    I've got a few stickers that I regularly use.
    I've got two hidden In the dashboard of my car, one that opens my "driving" Spotify playlist, and another that opens NOKIA Drive and programs it to my home address.

@zack, how did you get your phone to turn off and on WiFi with an nfc tag?
    The best I could manage was to open the WiFi settings, or Bluetooth settings menu?
    Ive been having the very same concern. The best I could do with my speakers is also to bring up Wireless/Airplane/Ringtones/.. settings but not doig the actual On/Off thing
    02-27-2013 02:46 AM
    Literally the only thing I use an NFC tag for is to open the "Internet Sharing" settings page to tether to my Surface.

If I do it manually, I have to swipe to the side, jump to S, open settings, open internet sharing.

With NFC, I can do it by tapping the tag and then pressing the open app button.
    02-27-2013 09:56 AM
    There are so many things that you could potentially use NFC for, it is a shame that we can't take advantage of it yet. Hopefully the days where I can leave my house, tap on a couple tags to turn off wifi, gps, bluetooth etc. , tap on and off at the train station on the way to a club/bar at night, pay for entry, drinks, McDonald's and a cab home all with my phone aren't too far away. Our phones are capable, it's just everything else hasn't caught up yet.

Microsoft could at least help us in removing that annoying security message so we don't have to actually touch the screen, essentially defeating the purpose of the tags. At least then NFC would be useful for something right now. I'll continue to have NFC disabled until they do so.
    02-27-2013 10:12 AM
    Are these tags re-programmable?
    02-27-2013 10:24 AM
    I found an NFC tag at a bus stop yesterday, it was cool.
    02-27-2013 10:35 AM
    I was under the impression that on Windows Phone 8 NFC could only launch apps, not change settings. Those of you that are using it to toggle wifi and bluetooth can you please share how?
    02-27-2013 10:39 AM
    There are so many things that you could potentially use NFC for, it is a shame that we can't take advantage of it yet. Hopefully the days where I can leave my house, tap on a couple tags to turn off wifi, gps, bluetooth etc. , tap on and off at the train station on the way to a club/bar at night, pay for entry, drinks, McDonald's and a cab home all with my phone aren't too far away. Our phones are capable, it's just everything else hasn't caught up yet.

Microsoft could at least help us in removing that annoying security message so we don't have to actually touch the screen, essentially defeating the purpose of the tags. At least then NFC would be useful for something right now. I'll continue to have NFC disabled until they do so.
    I hate that security message everytime it popps up. I wish we could disable it
    02-28-2013 07:53 AM
    Are these tags re-programmable?
    Yes
    gbbg likes this.
    02-28-2013 07:53 AM
    I found an NFC tag at a bus stop yesterday, it was cool.
    hahahah thats funny
    02-28-2013 07:54 AM
    I was under the impression that on Windows Phone 8 NFC could only launch apps, not change settings. Those of you that are using it to toggle wifi and bluetooth can you please share how?
    please read this carefully: You can NOT change settings. You CAN bring up setting menus and THEN change settings yourself. ( which is the downside of MS because on other phones like Galasy S3 you CAn change settings directly.

I give you an example of one of my NFC stickers: I have it sticked on my keyboard at work. When I come to work, I put my phone on it and it BRINGS UP the Bluetooth menu option and THEN I select disable ( because I dunt need it at work).

With Apps like NFC Lunchit you can bring up almost every menu option with a nfc sticker ( like what I mentioned above) but sadly you can NOT change anything. I wish we could like other phones can do.
    02-28-2013 07:58 AM
    I lord it over people with iPhones that my phone can do touch to transfer and their phone can't. That's the only use I've gotten out of it so far.
    02-28-2013 08:25 AM
    I hate that security message everytime it popps up. I wish we could disable it
    I actually like it. Sure, let us automatically change settings with NFC but at least give me the popup please. Perhaps make it an advanced option in Tap + Send that cannot be adjusted by anything.
    02-28-2013 03:06 PM
87 1234