ATIV S - 6 weeks later.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Well....anyone who doesn't like their ATIV S and wants an Android phone, let me know - I have a Nexus 4 I'd be willing to trade for it.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
You ruined my idea to exchange HTC 8X to ATIV S. I hate HTC because of stupid power button on top of the phone. And I thought that Samsung will have better button positions. But volume level buttons, problems with SD card! Oh my goodness. :(I didn't buy Lumia 920 because I don't need stone brick in my pocket ! :( There is no perfection in the world.
I wouldn't listen to these people. If the button placement is anything like the GS3, then it is by far the best button placement for a larger phone. Having the button on top is just moronic in my opinion, too difficult to reach without using two hands. I honestly think it is quite comical how people can press the volume button by accident when pressing the power button. The natural grip would be to have your index finger behind your phone, nowhere near volume rocker and the rest of your fingers should be below the rocker. While your thumb is near the screen. To hit the power button just hit it with your thumb. To hit the volume rocker, just use your index finger. Shouldnt need either thumb or index finger to grip the phone, unless you suck. Haha

The Lumia way is also poor because you have the camera button, power, and volume rocker all on one side and placed too close together and gives you no space on the right to grip.

Last edited:

pattyandchips

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You ruined my idea to exchange HTC 8X to ATIV S. I hate HTC because of stupid power button on top of the phone. And I thought that Samsung will have better button positions. But volume level buttons, problems with SD card! Oh my goodness. :(
I didn't buy Lumia 920 because I don't need stone brick in my pocket ! :(

There is no perfection in the world.

Interesting I'm not the only one wanting to replace the 8X. I just wanted to confirm has anyone had Sim Error? and restarts even after the update?

Other than that im not too bothered lol I dont think the camera thing would be an issue for me I don't use it much and would have it in a case. Although the SD slot does seem a bit concerning anyone else getting a microsd problem

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
No SIM card error with my ATIV S, my only concern is the "Other" is now 8GB taken from me!

- 2MB music / video
- 2MB pictures
- 2GB apps
- 8GB other
- 2.5GB system
- 3.5GB free

- 9GB used from 32GB micoSD

I'm not sure what to do?

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't listen to these people. If the button placement is anything like the GS3, then it is by far the best button placement for a larger phone. Having the button on top is just moronic in my opinion, too difficult to reach without using two hands. I honestly think it is quite comical how people can press the volume button by accident when pressing the power button. The natural grip would be to have your index finger behind your phone, nowhere near volume rocker and the rest of your fingers should be below the rocker. While your thumb is near the screen. To hit the power button just hit it with your thumb. To hit the volume rocker, just use your index finger. Shouldnt need either thumb or index finger to grip the phone, unless you suck. HahaThe Lumia way is also poor because you have the camera button, power, and volume rocker all on one side and placed too close together and gives you no space on the right to grip.
Your grip is clearly based on holding the phone with your right hand. Most people are right handed and hold the phone with their left hand. The only way to press the power button with the left forefinger is to support the top left corner with the left thumb. Unfortunately the volume buttons are in the way. Thanks for saying we suck. Most kind of you.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Your grip is clearly based on holding the phone with your right hand. Most people are right handed and hold the phone with their left hand. The only way to press the power button with the left forefinger is to support the top left corner with the left thumb. Unfortunately the volume buttons are in the way. Thanks for saying we suck. Most kind of you.

I'm right handed and hold my phone with my right hand most of the time. Thanks for generalizing right handers. :/

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I may be generalising but it is true. Have seen it with many people as recently had a discussion with friends about something similar. If you are right handed and need to write on a notepad, you would naturally hold a pen with your right hand while holding the pad with your left. If you are right handed and navigating a screen, it is common to hold the phone in your left hand so you can either use your left thumb or free up your right hand to navigate the screen. Again the dominant hand does the work when dealing cards. Deck held in left hand and right hand deals. Not everyone clearly, but most right handed people hold a phone in their left hand.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I am also right handed, but it seems HTC 8X was designed for left handed. Because it is the only position when you can easily switch phone on and off with one hand. :( I would kill designer of 8X if I able to find him :)

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I am also right handed, but it seems HTC 8X was designed for left handed. Because it is the only position when you can easily switch phone on and off with one hand. :( I would kill designer of 8X if I able to find him :)

Not sure why you want to turn off your phone so much for? I turned my ATIV S off two times in two months!

There is no way to put the buttons in a perfect place because there are left handed people and right handed people! There is always going to be conflict with left & right handed people! 😎

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why you want to turn off your phone so much for? I turned my ATIV S off two times in two months!

There is no way to put the buttons in a perfect place because there are left handed people and right handed people! There is always going to be conflict with left & right handed people! 
I meant turn screen on/off, not the entire phone.

John Mbasela

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
i really dont get the whole power button position nag from a lot of you guys. *SMH. should that be a main reasn for you not to get a handset or get rid of one

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
You ruined my idea to exchange HTC 8X to ATIV S. I hate HTC because of stupid power button on top of the phone. And I thought that Samsung will have better button positions. But volume level buttons, problems with SD card! Oh my goodness. :(
I didn't buy Lumia 920 because I don't need stone brick in my pocket ! :(

There is no perfection in the world.

I own the Ativ S and plan to get the 920. Holding both it's not that big a difference. One-handed use is about the same, as well as in-pocket feel. (both phones are out if skinny jeans are part of the scenario) The 920 is noticeably heavier if you're holding both at the same time, but it's not going to make your arm more tired during a phone call unless you just had chemo. If you have a case on your Ativ like I do (incipio shell) then it's a wash completely.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Well....anyone who doesn't like their ATIV S and wants an Android phone, let me know - I have a Nexus 4 I'd be willing to trade for it.

Dude, you really think people are going to trade their $600 phone for your sub-$400 phone straight up? Good luck with that... I could sell my Ativ S locally right now for $550, which would leave me almost $200 after buying the nexus 4 16gb.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I own the Ativ S and plan to get the 920. Holding both it's not that big a difference. One-handed use is about the same, as well as in-pocket feel. (both phones are out if skinny jeans are part of the scenario) The 920 is noticeably heavier if you're holding both at the same time, but it's not going to make your arm more tired during a phone call unless you just had chemo. If you have a case on your Ativ like I do (incipio shell) then it's a wash completely.
Link to said incipio case please. I went to their site and found shells for the Odyssey model only.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Link to said incipio case please. I went to their site and found shells for the Odyssey model only.

I bought it at the Bell Store when I got my phone... TBH I'm no longer using the incipio. It broke. I got a pretty sweet gel case off amazon for $8 that just arrived today. I'll try to find a link, though...

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't listen to these people. If the button placement is anything like the GS3, then it is by far the best button placement for a larger phone. Having the button on top is just moronic in my opinion, too difficult to reach without using two hands. I honestly think it is quite comical how people can press the volume button by accident when pressing the power button. The natural grip would be to have your index finger behind your phone, nowhere near volume rocker and the rest of your fingers should be below the rocker. While your thumb is near the screen. To hit the power button just hit it with your thumb. To hit the volume rocker, just use your index finger. Shouldnt need either thumb or index finger to grip the phone, unless you suck. Haha

The Lumia way is also poor because you have the camera button, power, and volume rocker all on one side and placed too close together and gives you no space on the right to grip.

try it in your left hand and see how "comical" it is then.

I'm right handed (as are most people on the planet of course) which means I use my phone in my left hand so my right hand is free. Whether you think its comical or not, the buttons are badly placed. My HTC HD7 had it on the top, much better and more logical, and perfectly simple to do with one hand "unless you suck. Haha"

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
i really dont get the whole power button position nag from a lot of you guys. *SMH. should that be a main reasn for you not to get a handset or get rid of one

I don't recall saying it was/is the main reason to not get/get rid of the phone. Its just bloody irritating and shows a level of thoughtlessness and lack of real world testing on Samsung's part - as does the camera lense clear cover being the first part of the back of the phone to touch any surface it's put down on.

Last edited:

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Samsung should of pushed the ATIV S every where worldwide! I think this is a awesome phone just with the lacking of Samsung back push & support of the platform.

I love my ATIV S and wish the rest of the world would to! 😎

Podunks

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I am guess you have never used, or owned a Focus/Focus S? These things are perfectly ok with me, as the button positioning is the same, etc.

So your cons are my pros, cant wait for this phone! ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb