My First Battery Issue - Interesting

sjhippie

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi all
I have a 920 and it's been steller. I've been extremely happy with it and little to no issues with it nor the battery. I can easily make it through my day with normal usage (photos/texting/facebook/web etc). In fact I've never had a problem with it plummeting from full to nothing .... until today. So basically my day was a trip from San Jose to San Francisco.. a few texts taunting friends that I was touring ATT park, about 10 photos, a Lomocam use and upload to Flickr. That's it. I went from 100% when I left to 15% when I got back. All my usual stuff is turned off. In fact nothing has changed on my phone.

What I find interesting is that a friend of mine with the same phone, was doing ok with her battery, but a recent trip via train to SF did the same thing to her battery. I'm wondering if there is something with the way the phone is searching for reception or something similar. I didn't even make it through half the day before it died.

I dunno...anyone else have something similar happen?

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it sounds like an issue with reception... When travelling, you're phone is constantly hopping on and off different towers which can drain a battery really fast..

sjhippie

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking that. Would this be a way WPhone handles it? I don't think there is anything to change manually.... hrm.

sjhippie

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Rock solid battery. Moderate usage today so far, nothing abnormal and I'm at 83%. Really weird that it was (hopefully) just yesterday.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been thinking there must be some kind of environmental factor with the battery on this phone. I do some gaming activities and at one place, I can go and run an app on the phone and after about 5 hours, I still have about 1/3 of the battery left. There's another place I go to in a different area. I run the exact same app and the battery goes from a 100% charge to completely dead in about 3.5 hours. Nothing else is different on the phone, just my location. At the second location, I even turn wifi and Bluetooth completely off as well, where they're both left on at the first location.

pdskep

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
What happens to me fairly consistently is I have a huge battery drain AFTER I get home from work. I get little or no reception at work and my drain is worse than I would like, but not horrible. When I get home, the phone turns hot and it starts to drain over %10/hour until I restart it. During the weekends at home my battery is stellar. Somehow it seems like it's trying to connect during the day at work and when I get home, where the reception is great, it get stuck is some sort of loop and drains quickly. I'm on my second phone due to an unrelated issue and the other did the exact same. Here's an example and you can see when I restarted it at around 8:00PM.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 2

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have been having this battery gremlin. If I download or get on the internet the battery jumps to 25-30% an hour and continues draining after all activity stops. I have tried shutting every thing off, but a reset is the the only thing that will stop it. Doesn't matter wether it is on wifi or 4g. I can listen to music for 45 minutes and the battery doesn't move, but check facebook or WP central and it sticks but not all the time.??? I definitely think it is a software issue, most likely something didn't load right. I did a factory reset on it and it seems to have leveled it out between 2.5 and 5% an hour, which is what I would expect. I just did it yesterday so I want to let it settle down again and see how it does. I definitely think it is an os issue though simply by reading other forums and fixes as well as my own experience. There does not seem to be a overall fix, one thing works in this case, does not work in that case...... Turning everything off is not a viable option. If thats the case get a flip phone!!:grin:

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my 4th 920 and this unit has been great but once in a while I get that mystery battery drain as well. The only way to resolve it is to restart the phone. Poor app coding and poor os coding are to blame. The os should force the apps closed.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
What happens to me fairly consistently is I have a huge battery drain AFTER I get home from work. I get little or no reception at work and my drain is worse than I would like, but not horrible. When I get home, the phone turns hot and it starts to drain over %10/hour until I restart it. During the weekends at home my battery is stellar. Somehow it seems like it's trying to connect during the day at work and when I get home, where the reception is great, it get stuck is some sort of loop and drains quickly. I'm on my second phone due to an unrelated issue and the other did the exact same. Here's an example and you can see when I restarted it at around 8:00PM.

Do you think that it is possible that this is just an battery monitor problem ? ... as there is NO power consumption almost at all, between 8 PM and 10 PM (after a sudden drop) ...

pdskep

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Do you think that it is possible that this is just an battery monitor problem ? ... as there is NO power consumption almost at all, between 8 PM and 10 PM (after a sudden drop) ...
That occurred to me, but it doesn't explain the phone getting warm/hot during the drain. Also the fairly flat line between 8-10 is consistent with what happens during the weekend when it's idle. Oh and it's no longer warm after a restart.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes