Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Luckily, I'm not having terrible issues with my battery, but here are my settings and daily routine:

-all my emails to be delivered as soon as possible (5 accounts)
-leave my Bluetooth on as well as NFC, wifi, and 4g all day
-do some light gaming (30 minutes worth)
-occasional research through sites and apps when needed (1-2 hours)
-streaming video (45 minutes)
-streaming music (30 minutes worth)
-Background task left on for: accuweather, battery level for WP8, CNN, Facebook, and Weave
-Light nokia drive use (10 minutes to find burger joint)
-miscellaneous use for random things like facebook, reading news, etc...

If I can't do all that in one charge before I sleep in a 14 hour day, then the battery is a fail. I was able to do most of that in my one year old titan, and I expect no less on this phone. I admit my battery drained quickly when I took it out of the box, but after a full discharge and a hard reset, everything was okay and I was able to do my regular routine :cool:

I suggest anyone who is still having problems after 3 days should do an exchange of some sort and give that other phone a few days to settle as well. Because i'm hearing a lot of terrible battery stats; and closing all these random features in order to pretend to have good battery life is unacceptable.

What do you mean by hard reset? The three button method?

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
reset through the menu, I think its the same thing as the hardware method. Everything was basically wiped out

Hmmm, makes no sense, your phone would've been "factory reset" fresh out of the box. Doing it so soon after your first discharge cycle shouldn't actually have changed anything. I guess its mainly that initial charge cycle that sets things right.

mdecker79

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've tried a 800ma car charger - drained my battery while using navigation.

Laptop USB which is 500ma - drained my battery while setting the phone up.

1 amp car charger - drained my battery while using navigation.

iPad 2.1 amp car harger.... drained my battery while using navigation..

What other charger can I use? I've used a good portion of different charge speed / power...

All phones will drain battery during navigation and GPS use if your using a shotty car charger. What power is your chargers?

Sandrobber

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Epic fail

So I'm typing from my surface tablet because I decided to perform a factory reset. More or less to check the backup setting and heck why not. A random person it made his device battery last longer(we all know what app probably wasn't reinstalled). Then I saw two gears I thought awesome they have little gears that show up. Needless to say it never went anywhere and the battery drained. On power up the device bricked. The thing was resetting for over an hour so I think there was some form of hardware failure. So I'd suggest a hard reset to rule out hardware failures. I am going to the at&t tomorrow to get it replaced.

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I had my first battery drain issue earlier this evening. I set my 920 down for about 30 minutes and then picked it up to check the time. As soon as I picked it up I noticed that the back of the phone above the camera was warm. When I unlocked the screen I also noticed that battery saver was active, and my battery had drained from 65% to 19% in those thirty minutes. I happened to glance at my router while I was looking through the phone settings and the wireless activity indicator on it was flashing like crazy (phone is using WiFi, and is the only wireless device that was in use).

There was nothing to upload to SkyDrive, and the only apps in the task switcher were Settings, Email, Rowi Lite, IE, and Messaging I believe. NFC has been turned off since I got the phone; I have no idea what was running in the background or what was being downloaded/uploaded and to/from where.

Oddly, right as that was happening I got a text message from a friend because she sent me a Facebook chat message a few minutes earlier and I never replied. I never got it, and still haven't gotten it. I had to open the crappy Facebook app to see if there were any notifications.

I turned the phone off and on again and everything seemed to be back to normal. Very strange.

Is there any way to see exactly what apps are doing what in the background?

litchblade#IM

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Difference

Everyone who has battery issues:

- deactivate the apps running the background, Nokia Drive+ Beta for sure!
- deactivate NFC in the settings
- reboot your device

I bet most problems are gone then... :)

brandonries

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My battery life was abysmal the first couple of days. I managed to fix it by turning off NFC and draining the battery all the way down before charging. My last charge lasted me 26 hours with moderate use.

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
There is definitely something wrong. I performed a hard reset yesterday. The battery performed amazingly. I didn't charge the phone at all yesterday and was at work until 1130 pm. When I got home there was still 45% battery life. Last night I charged the phone and today it it draining like crazy, it says there are only 8 hous of battery life left and I just unplugged it

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I am going to take mine back to the ATT store today. I unplugged my phone at 720 am this morning and just as an update, NFC Off all live tiles disabled. It only has 7 hours left.

I love this handset. I dont want a different phone, just a 920 that works appropriately.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I still don't get why this only affects a portion of the people with google accounts, instead of everyone with google account (non-exchange)

The article says it's because of IMAP2 vs POP or Exchange.

Since I removed my google account I have not had a single lockup and my phone hasn't gotten warm at all.

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The article says it's because of IMAP2 vs POP or Exchange.

Since I removed my google account I have not had a single lockup and my phone hasn't gotten warm at all.

I'm aware, yet some people don't get any issues with their imap2 google accounts. That's what I'm confused about.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Everyone who has battery issues:

- deactivate the apps running the background, Nokia Drive+ Beta for sure!
- deactivate NFC in the settings
- reboot your device

I bet most problems are gone then... :)

Did that last week when I first started noticing battery issues, no change.

There is definitely something wrong. I performed a hard reset yesterday. The battery performed amazingly. I didn't charge the phone at all yesterday and was at work until 1130 pm. When I got home there was still 45% battery life. Last night I charged the phone and today it it draining like crazy, it says there are only 8 hous of battery life left and I just unplugged it

Ya same boat as you. One day my phone drains 30% in 1.5h with me only looking at it a couple times and will be down to 25% when i get home, then another day the battery will be at 60% when I get home with the same amount of usage. Seems pretty random for me so when Rogers gets some phones in stock I might just exchange it (unless MS/Nokia come out in the mean time saying there is a known battery issue). Unfortunately, if I exchange it, I will be trading my unlocked phone for a locked one :(

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Did that last week when I first started noticing battery issues, no change.

Ya same boat as you. One day my phone drains 30% in 1.5h with me only looking at it a couple times and will be down to 25% when i get home, then another day the battery will be at 60% when I get home with the same amount of usage. Seems pretty random for me so when Rogers gets some phones in stock I might just exchange it (unless MS/Nokia come out in the mean time saying there is a known battery issue). Unfortunately, if I exchange it, I will be trading my unlocked phone for a locked one :(

Hey, did you get the early release 920's from Rogers? I have a feeling they were all display units cleaned up and resold to us cause we're suckers.(Think about itttttt why were they in a hurry they forgot to lock the first batch to rogers hmmm?? display unitss!!! /endconspiracy) I'm on my third one now, waiting for it to come, was 2 out of 2 for physical defects and bad battery so far. Third time's the charm?

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey, did you get the early release 920's from Rogers? I have a feeling they were all display units cleaned up and resold to us cause we're suckers.(Think about itttttt why were they in a hurry they forgot to lock the first batch to rogers hmmm?? display unitss!!! /endconspiracy) I'm on my third one now, waiting for it to come, was 2 out of 2 for physical defects and bad battery so far. Third time's the charm?

Yes it was one of the first batch that was unlocked. Display units from where though? Regardless I'll have to wait for the Rogers store by me to actually receive some units before I can exchange mine. I'll probably pop in there either today or tomorrow just to see.

Last edited:

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Deactivating NFC seemed to have helped me a lot. Its almost lunch time for me and I haven't even gone past 90% yet. Charged it all night took it off the charger 7am this morning. Listened to my audio book on the way in for about an hour and now its 11:20 and I am at 92%

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes it was one of the furst batch that was unlocked. Display units from where though? Regardless I'll have to wait for the Rogers store by me to actually receive some units before I can exchange mine. I'll probably pop in there either today or tomorrow just to see.

From all the press and tradeshows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon