08-10-2016 11:07 AM
2,168 ... 6061626364 ...
tools
    Hi, I just resolved my battery problem, and would like to share my experience with you.

I got my L920 (Rogers unlocked) only a few weeks ago. It took me a couple of days to get internet sharing working. Right after that I found the battery draining very quickly. I tried a few battery monitoring apps, and decided on Battery Sense Free because of the interface and the battery drain warning feature. Right after I finished charging my phone, the app would note a usage length of 12-15 hours. Then I started using the phone (web browsing, music streaming, installing apps), the battery ran out within 3-4 hours. This seemed a bit short to me.

I started searching through forums to find a solution. The Cnet Video helped a lot. After I followed the instructions described in the video, my battery life after charging extended to more than 2 days, sometimes even 4 days (-0.9% per hour), and 5-8 hours under moderate usage.

All is good but I soon found another problem: my battery sometimes just drained severely without any reason (17%-39%). I understood that battery drained more under heavy use, but the issue was that my battery did not seem to recover after the drain. If a severe battery drain occurred, it would continue to drain at that rate until the battery died. The only solution I found to this is to soft-reset the phone and also reset the battery app.

After this I searched through hundreds of articles and have almost tried everything suggested (except the ones that require hard-resetting my phone did not want to risk bricking my new phone), but nothing really helped.

My battery drain problem seemed to be getting worse. It was occurring at every half-an-hour interval. The phone at this point is pretty well useless to me. Then I decided to take another approach. I fully charged the phone then leave it on my desk without doing anything (talk, text, wifi on). The discharge rate stayed at -0.9% for 4 hours, so I know my phone is fine if I dont use apps. I then started using IE to view a couple of websites. As soon I visited Google, the battery drain occurred (-27%).

Is the battery problem associated to IE or using internet? To be sure I decided to test it again. I soft-reset the phone and left it on my desk. This time it didnt work out; a major battery drain occurred in 27 minutes (-42%).

At this point I am out of ideas. I couldnt even isolate the problem occurrence so I just purchased an external battery. I figured I am happy if I could get 8-10 hours of moderate use with the help of an external battery ($15).

Then I thought about the whole thing. It really did not make any sense to me (other than the phone is defected). The only blame I could lay on now is the battery app. I did try a few battery apps at the beginning but the results are not far off. I decided to try it again just for the heck of it. I removed Battery Sense and installed Battery (by Arthur Semenov).

And guess what? L920 is working perfectly now. I started using the phone heavily, and the battery would drain >15%, but it would (slowly) return to <-2% after I closed my apps. Lessons learned? I think most of these battery apps only check battery every half an hour, so you got to give it time. And also do not trust one single battery app.

I have no doubt that some L920 owners really have defected batteries, but in my case it is a combination of things (stupidity included). I was complaining about Nokia and MS for days, but after this I realized how difficult it is to resolve battery problems like this. It sometimes could be a number of things and probably everyone is different.
    Last edited by belld001; 05-12-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    0BlueHuge0 likes this.
    05-12-2013 09:36 PM
    Belld001...i got really excited reading your post until you mentioned the battery app. I've been using that one since day 1, still have a subpar usage and highly likely its a physical problem.
    05-12-2013 10:05 PM
    chezm,

Sorry to hear that. Like I said in my last post, I am sure some L920 really do have defected batteries, but it could also be something else. I think it is important to try to isolate the causes. Is it the apps? Or does the problem still persist even without any app running? If it is the hardware then there is not much we could do except to wait for the fix or buy an extra battery.

I do run into small problems from time to time. Yesterday my internet sharing stopped working again. It took me days to figure out how to get it working the first time, so it was really frustrating for me that this was happening again. After I calmed down I noticed that my Access Point setup looked different from the last time I opened it. I then realized that an update must have triggered the change. The rest is easy; I just search for similar issues and now my internet sharing is working again.

Right now I have been using my L920 for more than 16 hours (web browsing, downloading, streaming) and I still have about 20% battery left. I am not sure if this is good or bad but I am quite happy with this kind of performance. I wish you good luck in solving your problem.
    chezm likes this.
    05-14-2013 08:15 PM
    So far, my battery has been pretty decent. I've been getting a full day's usage out of it. It can still be around 25% after midnight, which isn't bad. It depends on how much I use it and what I use with it.
    05-14-2013 08:19 PM
    chezm,

Sorry to hear that. Like I said in my last post, I am sure some L920 really do have defected batteries, but it could also be something else. I think it is important to try to isolate the causes. Is it the apps? Or does the problem still persist even without any app running? If it is the hardware then there is not much we could do except to wait for the fix or buy an extra battery.

I do run into small problems from time to time. Yesterday my internet sharing stopped working again. It took me days to figure out how to get it working the first time, so it was really frustrating for me that this was happening again. After I calmed down I noticed that my Access Point setup looked different from the last time I opened it. I then realized that an update must have triggered the change. The rest is easy; I just search for similar issues and now my internet sharing is working again.

Right now I have been using my L920 for more than 16 hours (web browsing, downloading, streaming) and I still have about 20% battery left. I am not sure if this is good or bad but I am quite happy with this kind of performance. I wish you good luck in solving your problem.
    I've done everything i can think of and researched on these forums:
    - All background processes disabled
    - Disabled Xbox music, Game syncing (although i still connect to Xbox)
    - All my emails are set to manual, expect hotmail/outlook is set to once a day
    - All nokia applications GPS/location disabled (within applications)
    - Had facebook Beta installed, couldnt figure out how to shutoff chat but some people said its battery eater so just uninstalled
    - All notifications/toasts shut off
    - DISABLED CARRIER DATA, only using WIFI (now ive re-enabled it because i think this is too over-the-top)

And on top of all of that, the battery app you mentioned is wonky when the phones soft reset:
    wp_ss_20130515_0001.png

Im so tired of watching the battery, im treating this phone like its a child...i've never had to monitor a device so much. So i uninstalled that battery app and will just deal with the battery ive got. Hopefully the Rogers 1314 update will fix things.
    05-15-2013 10:46 AM
    Im so tired of watching the battery, im treating this phone like its a child...i've never had to monitor a device so much. So i uninstalled that battery app and will just deal with the battery ive got. Hopefully the Rogers 1314 update will fix things.
    That sounds like a good idea. I have been having issues with the battery app too. Usually I will just reinstall it and it would be alright.
    05-15-2013 10:18 PM
    That sounds like a good idea. I have been having issues with the battery app too. Usually I will just reinstall it and it would be alright.
    So, i installed the Rogers 1314 FW yesterday...everything was working fine as expected. Last night charged it before i went to bed to 100%, woke up this morning with it at 100%. great! re-installed the same battery app, surfed the net for a while before my commute and the battery went to 99%. My drives 1 hr to work, so popped the phone in my pocket and on my way. Get to work, pull out the phone...94%!! Nothings running, all background apps disabled. I left it for another 30 mins, saw it drop another 2%!!! Uninstalled the battery app, reboot my phone and it starts up at 88% I have no clue how this battery works, its all over the place but im officially done with the battery apps. I really would like to have some sort of chart to track its usage but whatever.
    05-16-2013 08:53 AM
    Belld001

Which Cnet video? Could you please link it here?

Thanks,

Hi, I just resolved my battery problem, and would like to share my experience with you.

I got my L920 (Rogers unlocked) only a few weeks ago. It took me a couple of days to get internet sharing working. Right after that I found the battery draining very quickly. I tried a few battery monitoring apps, and decided on Battery Sense Free because of the interface and the battery drain warning feature. Right after I finished charging my phone, the app would note a usage length of 12-15 hours. Then I started using the phone (web browsing, music streaming, installing apps), the battery ran out within 3-4 hours. This seemed a bit short to me.

I started searching through forums to find a solution. The Cnet Video helped a lot. After I followed the instructions described in the video, my battery life after charging extended to more than 2 days, sometimes even 4 days (-0.9% per hour), and 5-8 hours under moderate usage.

All is good but I soon found another problem: my battery sometimes just drained severely without any reason (17%-39%). I understood that battery drained more under heavy use, but the issue was that my battery did not seem to recover after the drain. If a severe battery drain occurred, it would continue to drain at that rate until the battery died. The only solution I found to this is to soft-reset the phone and also reset the battery app.

After this I searched through hundreds of articles and have almost tried everything suggested (except the ones that require hard-resetting my phone did not want to risk bricking my new phone), but nothing really helped.

My battery drain problem seemed to be getting worse. It was occurring at every half-an-hour interval. The phone at this point is pretty well useless to me. Then I decided to take another approach. I fully charged the phone then leave it on my desk without doing anything (talk, text, wifi on). The discharge rate stayed at -0.9% for 4 hours, so I know my phone is fine if I dont use apps. I then started using IE to view a couple of websites. As soon I visited Google, the battery drain occurred (-27%).

Is the battery problem associated to IE or using internet? To be sure I decided to test it again. I soft-reset the phone and left it on my desk. This time it didnt work out; a major battery drain occurred in 27 minutes (-42%).

At this point I am out of ideas. I couldnt even isolate the problem occurrence so I just purchased an external battery. I figured I am happy if I could get 8-10 hours of moderate use with the help of an external battery ($15).

Then I thought about the whole thing. It really did not make any sense to me (other than the phone is defected). The only blame I could lay on now is the battery app. I did try a few battery apps at the beginning but the results are not far off. I decided to try it again just for the heck of it. I removed Battery Sense and installed Battery (by Arthur Semenov).

And guess what? L920 is working perfectly now. I started using the phone heavily, and the battery would drain >15%, but it would (slowly) return to <-2% after I closed my apps. Lessons learned? I think most of these battery apps only check battery every half an hour, so you got to give it time. And also do not trust one single battery app.

I have no doubt that some L920 owners really have defected batteries, but in my case it is a combination of things (stupidity included). I was complaining about Nokia and MS for days, but after this I realized how difficult it is to resolve battery problems like this. It sometimes could be a number of things and probably everyone is different.
    05-17-2013 12:01 AM
    Belld001

Which Cnet video? Could you please link it here?

Thanks,
    Devamps likes this.
    05-17-2013 12:26 AM
    The Battery apps are weird. I've gone to sleep, woken up with a 25% drain. Rebooted the phone and then the battery app displays a 20% JUMP! Going to uninstall them all, I think.
    05-19-2013 12:57 PM
    I have Lumia 920 (Yellow), The Battery is very good, playing games, whats app, music, camera with flash and internet ex.

After 10 Hours of that I have 20% or 18%.

Iam turned off the sound of lock & unlock and Camera shutter.
    05-21-2013 08:42 PM
    Hi Every1,

It's my turn to winge and complain about the Nokia Lumia 920 battery.

I have had my Lumia 920 since day one as i brought it when the pre sale were available.

I love the phone and the only thing that lets it down is its battery life.

For example this morning i took my phone off charge at 730am it had everything turned off i.e. background tasks, wifi and 4G data my battery information stated it has 18hrs @100%

3hrs have passed and within that I had used my phone very minimally opening and closing a few apps checking emails, weather, battery etc and my battery live had only dropped by 2% down to 98%

So I then decided to turn on just my 4G data and left it for a bit then had a few notification pop up 18 or so emails so I checked them out then left my phone alone for 1 hour and then when I checked my phone the battery was down to 74% and estimates 6 hours left.

Now I wouldn’t mind this type of performance from the battery if it was under high usage but when all I’m doing is check out a few notification and emails that pretty s#!t

I feel the battery should be performing the 100% - 98% in 3hrs while I have internet access and background tasks on and under minimal use not with everything switched off, because what’s the point in having a "Smartphone" when it dies within 3hrs off using it to its full potential?

PS and in the time it took me to type this its dropped down to 64% and I wasn’t even using my phone I’m writing this on a computer!
    Last edited by Nick Donovan; 05-23-2013 at 10:29 PM.
    05-23-2013 09:03 PM
    I am trying to understand the battery behaviour and what I've found in my case that the battery is amazing. If I have only WiFi on and Mobile Data OFF, with my usage I get 2 days of battery, which is amazing. But, with the same usage, if I have WiFi OFF and Mobile Network ON on 3G I get only 12 hours of battery with the same usage.

So, I think, it's not the battery or the apps that are bad, nor is it the OS, it's the 3G antenna or radio that is the actual culprit. I am going to test this with a new shell that comes with a new antenna and see if it makes a difference. If someone else has done some similar testing, I'd like to know your findings.

P.S. : I did the test sitting in one place where I have excellent WiFi and 3G coverage.
    Last edited by naeem151287; 05-24-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    05-24-2013 08:01 AM
    Meh. I've hard reset my phone multiple times and it hasn't helped. Even if i soft reset it doesnt make a difference.

There are days where i let the phone charge fully until 11pm, when i wake up a 7:30am its still 100%...this includes having background processes running, Data connected, Wifi on. So i will see last charge time was 8 hours, 100% battery life.

I will go browse 2 or 3 webpages (less than 5 mins) and the battery will drop 4 or 5%...considering over 8 hours idle at 100%, fine i can live with that. But from that moment the battery starts draining. At times it seems the OS hold onto processes running and wont let them fully die. There is no way hourly WeatherFlow and WFC sync will kill my battery so quickly.

And if i play a game or watch a video...good luck!! My battery can drop 4-8% every 5 minutes. I don't care what anyone says, thats absurd.

If i disable Data connection or not, i dont see a major difference in battery life...its generally the same. Wifi i dont shut off b/c my current plan sucks but thats changing end of the month.

Maybe i have a bad battery, whatever the case is this sucks. The phone is perfect in every aspect to me EXCEPT for the battery...holds it back.
    05-24-2013 10:16 AM
    yes... that's what I always do. Let the battery discharge fully then you have to charge it....
    05-24-2013 11:38 AM
    turn off all those background processes in the settings. you'd be surprised at how many are running that you just don't need.
    05-25-2013 10:58 AM
    Has anyone had experiences of using 3rd party chargers with L920? Since getting the phone I left the original charger to work and at home i've been using Samsung charger from my S3 or my kids' S Advance chargers. There seem to be huge difference in battery performance, for Nokia charger's advantage... I used to charge all night with Sammy chargers, to only see battery drain 5-7% per hour with barely any use comparing to 1-2% when fully charged with original Lumia charger.... All of them have same specs and I thought micro-USB is pretty standard..??

Anyone else noticed similar behavior?
    05-26-2013 03:27 PM
    Has anyone had experiences of using 3rd party chargers with L920? Since getting the phone I left the original charger to work and at home i've been using Samsung charger from my S3 or my kids' S Advance chargers. There seem to be huge difference in battery performance, for Nokia charger's advantage... I used to charge all night with Sammy chargers, to only see battery drain 5-7% per hour with barely any use comparing to 1-2% when fully charged with original Lumia charger.... All of them have same specs and I thought micro-USB is pretty standard..??

I regularly use an S3 charger on my Lumia and haven't noticed any difference in discharge rate.

Anyone else noticed similar behavior?
    05-27-2013 03:14 AM
    Before I used the below solution, my 920 would lose 40% it's battery life after an hour of intense use. Generally, I'd barely make it past 8 hours with moderate use.

Now, I am able to get between 24-48 hours of battery life easily. I disable data connection under cellular whenever I am on WiFi, and only use the former when I really need it for certain apps. This morning I drove to work for 40 mins with Spotify on, then turned data conn off, used WA and FB a few times over WiFi, made a phonecall, and my battery is still at 93%. I believe the data connection to be the major culprit. In addition, I also applied most of the CNet video's recommendations (however, in isolation those didn't have much of an effect).
    05-27-2013 03:49 AM
    Hi, I just want to give a quick update of my battery situation. For the last few weeks my battery has been running great. Now after I finished recharging it I would get more than 4 days. Last week I did have a couple of incidents though. I was at work without any wifi or data, the screen was off, then I noticed the Proshot app turned on. I picked up the phone and noticed that the phone was getting extremely hot, and the battery was draining like -40%. I soft-reset the phone and it returned to normal. I just ignored it.

The exact same thing happened again in a couple of days. The Proshot screen was on again, and the battery drained badly. I soft-reset it again. I couldn't figure out why since Proshot was not performing any background task. I re-installed the app. I will let you guys know if this happens again.
    chezm and Jadani1111 like this.
    05-27-2013 06:06 AM
    I saw many comments here have serious battery drain, but for me it's so opposite. I can have over 3 days with just a fullcharge.
    My phone is always Wifi ON, and power saver OFF.
    Sometimes I ON bluetooth for file transfer and OFF after finish.
    Cellular DATA is OFF most of the time, I ON it only when I need to check something online, because most of my time is connected to the Wifi, only sometimes I have no wifi and want to check social notification.
    NFC is OFF, Touch screen sensitive ia OFF, GPS ON, Brightness turn to LOW first then ON Auto.
    Then use the phone normal (My lifestyle is considered not a mania phone user like in a day I take 30-50 pictures, less than 60 mins talk time, 1-2 hours serving internet and social network, about 1 hour for texting)
    See my attach menu for details.

P.S. I used to have battery drain problem as well, I can last under 24hrs for a fullcharge since I first got my lumia 920. But after Portico Update, it has totally change as I mentioned above, which is exceptional for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    05-27-2013 08:43 AM
    NFC is OFF, Touch screen sensitive ia OFF, GPS ON, Brightness turn to LOW first then ON Auto.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    I can almost guarantee your great battery life is due to using Low Brightness setting. If i was able to see using Low i wouldnt have any problems doing that....but seriously, i've got great eye-sight and low for me is very painful to use. so i use Medium with no Auto.

Everything else you mentioned is exactly what i do, expect for GPS as i have it OFF.

I gotta ask the question though, how can you get 3 days??? If below your DAILY use??

Then use the phone normal (My lifestyle is considered not a mania phone user like in a day I take 30-50 pictures, less than 60 mins talk time, 1-2 hours serving internet and social network, about 1 hour for texting)

If so im jealous
    05-27-2013 09:03 AM
    I can almost guarantee your great battery life is due to using Low Brightness setting. If i was able to see using Low i wouldnt have any problems doing that....but seriously, i've got great eye-sight and low for me is very painful to use. so i use Medium with no Auto.

Everything else you mentioned is exactly what i do, expect for GPS as i have it OFF.

I gotta ask the question though, how can you get 3 days??? If below your DAILY use??

If so im jealous
    That why I said for me it is exceptional, the picture shown the best time I used, but normally I can used up 2 days and some hours.
    For an additional, Brightness is set to Low first then Auto ON but I have ON the Sunlight Readability all the time, so when I get into outdoor, It's still readable for me.

P.S. I always charge it with Wireless charging plate when I sleep and take it off when get up.
    05-27-2013 09:16 AM
    My batterylife has been **** since a few weeks now. Today I woke up at 1pm and had the phone on the charger, took it off and now at 6:22pm I got a warning of low battery life. What the **** is going on? I've hardly used the phone, I had excellent battery life some time ago but now I'm afraid of using the phone when outside because I know it won't last me..
    05-27-2013 11:23 AM
    hello,
    ya..i had also a same problem with Lumia 920. it shows 100% charging but when i unplugged this from charger after some time battery just dropped down upto 70%. battery just stay for 5-6 hours.
    05-28-2013 01:55 AM
2,168 ... 6061626364 ...