Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

canman1

May 31, 2013
Visit site
It's LTE related since the last update.
I'm on my third 920 at this stage.

This POS can't keep a charge for more that 3 hours while in a LTE location.

Funny, when I brought it to a place without LTE, it was lasting 2 days.

MSFT and NOK would want to get this sorted soon, or it'll be the end of the road for me and Nokia...........

wayne310

May 13, 2013
Visit site
i have been using 3G on my phone for a very long time and never faced battery issues after a week of use..after charge cycles, phone lasts entire day and if i am out, then on battery saver mode it can last a night to take calls and sms

have u tried switching off wifi because i feel that its scanning for networks causes the drain.

but mostly i feel its 4G related as i have never used it and phone runs fine even with mild gaming

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from an HTC 8X and it lasted me an average of 15 hrs with moderate-heavy usage and I think this is a good performance comparison point.

The Lumia 920 I have now it's been with me for just 5 days but I think the break-in/auto-calibration periodo of the battery should be over by now. The battery performance I'm getting is awful: At most, it lasts 8 hours and many times I've seen random drains

A few examples:

• A few hours ago, I spent 30 minutes reading tweets on WiFi with rowi. The battery decreased almost 20%.
  • At 7pm, it was 100% charged. I used WhatsApp for about 20 incoming/outgoing messages. I brief conversation in Messenger (about 10 messages), a 3-minutes call, posted two Twitter and Facebook statuses and 2 Foursquare check-ins. At 10 pm the battery had decreased to 69%.
  • Also, I've getting those random drains when the phone is sitting idle and doing nothing. Sometimes, 10% in a 30 minute period and so on.

As a Windows Phone experienced user, I know all the ins and outs of the OS. I had an LG Optimus 7 when WP7 launched, then the 8X when WP8 launched and now the Lumia 920 that I exchanged for the latter just for the LTE support and the better camera. I hope I won't regret it.

My configuration: LTE On, WiFi On (notifications for hotspots off, auto connect on), Bluetooth Off, NFC Off, One Microsoft account besides the main one both using push.
Backgrounds tasks: Amazing Weather HD, Foursquare and Battery Level for WP8

I think that those that said LTE is a battery killer are somewhat right, but I haven't been outside my home that much this week to blame the LTE radio on the 920 in my case. At most, a couple of hours everyday and the signal is between 3 and 5 bars.

I'm resetting it to factory defaults to see if that improves something. If things are like this by Sunday, I will try to exchange it on Monday as the phone is only 5 days new.

sharprobert

May 25, 2013
Visit site
All the smart phones have the battery issue..even after full charging after sometime battery down to 70-75%.. due to background applications running in smart phones..One solution for battery is charge smart phone even after it shows 100%..

Shodan_HR

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
hello, i too come from htc8x which had waaaay better battery life... couple of days ago i bought my nokia920 device and experienced awfull battery life so, i`ve tried to isolate the problem, thinking it had to be issue with one of my installed apps, so ive unistalled skype - same thing, no improvement. then facebook beta - same as with skype thingy. so, the usual suspects didnt have anything with drainage (note, i`ve experienced drainege od 20% per hour) so then i`ve started disabling some of services (connect with xbox, xbox music cloud, wi fi, back up etc) and still no improvemnt and i hate disabling services on a fakin smartphone (pretty frustrated at this point)... but then i remebered nokia drive had issues so i`ve unistalled it and reset my phone... and at this point i noticed some improvement in estimated battery life (1 day and 4 hours, for the first time i got that much juice)...
thats it, sorry on my english.. hope there will be some improvement on that field too.

garconcn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

I have the similar experience recently. I was also using Battery Sense. The battery drained very quickly sometimes without any sense. I was suspecting it's this app problem, then I switched to Battery like yours.

Hi, I just resolved my battery problem, and would like to share my experience with you.

I got my L920 (Rogers unlocked) only a few weeks ago. It took me a couple of days to get internet sharing working. Right after that I found the battery draining very quickly. I tried a few battery monitoring apps, and decided on Battery Sense Free because of the interface and the battery drain warning feature. Right after I finished charging my phone, the app would note a usage length of 12-15 hours. Then I started using the phone (web browsing, music streaming, installing apps), the battery ran out within 3-4 hours. This seemed a bit short to me.

I started searching through forums to find a solution. The Cnet Video helped a lot. After I followed the instructions described in the video, my battery life after charging extended to more than 2 days, sometimes even 4 days (-0.9% per hour), and 5-8 hours under moderate usage.

All is good but I soon found another problem: my battery sometimes just drained severely without any reason (17%-39%). I understood that battery drained more under heavy use, but the issue was that my battery did not seem to recover after the drain. If a severe battery drain occurred, it would continue to drain at that rate until the battery died. The only solution I found to this is to soft-reset the phone and also reset the battery app.

After this I searched through hundreds of articles and have almost tried everything suggested (except the ones that require hard-resetting my phone ? did not want to risk bricking my new phone), but nothing really helped.

My battery drain problem seemed to be getting worse. It was occurring at every half-an-hour interval. The phone at this point is pretty well useless to me. Then I decided to take another approach. I fully charged the phone then leave it on my desk without doing anything (talk, text, wifi on). The discharge rate stayed at -0.9% for 4 hours, so I know my phone is fine if I don?t use apps. I then started using IE to view a couple of websites. As soon I visited Google, the battery drain occurred (-27%).

Is the battery problem associated to IE or using internet? To be sure I decided to test it again. I soft-reset the phone and left it on my desk. This time it didn?t work out; a major battery drain occurred in 27 minutes (-42%).

At this point I am out of ideas. I couldn?t even isolate the problem occurrence so I just purchased an external battery. I figured I am happy if I could get 8-10 hours of moderate use with the help of an external battery ($15).

Then I thought about the whole thing. It really did not make any sense to me (other than the phone is defected). The only blame I could lay on now is the battery app. I did try a few battery apps at the beginning but the results are not far off. I decided to try it again just for the heck of it. I removed Battery Sense and installed Battery (by Arthur Semenov).

And guess what? L920 is working perfectly now. I started using the phone heavily, and the battery would drain >15%, but it would (slowly) return to <-2% after I closed my apps. Lessons learned? I think most of these battery apps only check battery every half an hour, so you got to give it time. And also do not trust one single battery app.

I have no doubt that some L920 owners really have defected batteries, but in my case it is a combination of things (stupidity included). I was complaining about Nokia and MS for days, but after this I realized how difficult it is to resolve battery problems like this. It sometimes could be a number of things and probably everyone is different.

Shodan_HR

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

so, today i have some good news, at least for myself... uninstaling nokia drive beta did prolongue my battery life. its not perfect but its far cry of what it used to be. now my lumia drains about 4,5% juice per hour.

armagezon

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello

When i charge my 920, the battery level doesn't get up, even though the battery icon shows that the charging happens.

However, 1 or 2 hours after i have removed the charger, the battery jumps to the level that should have been right after the charging.

Any ideas?

Thank you

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
@ajua my settings are location services on, 3g on, lte is not available in our area, wifi on but not always on my wifi setting since i dont have any background task. xbox off.

more than 4 hours of surfing the net via wifi
more than 30mins of playing asphalt 7, maybe 15mins playing bejeweled live

after 26 hours my battery has 30+% left
i use 3g and start internet sharing on my laptop for an hour. I do this because i can reach up to 7Mbps on 3g while our internet connection on our house is limited to 2Mbps only.
Then i played Jetpack joyride and it finally shutdown. That's why i don't have the following screen shot.

edit : i forgot to add maybe 75+ sms and 15mins call

Rafael Baudelaire

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
wait, if i understood correctly. so after charge you soft reset it to show correct battery status?
Yes, I put my L920 on wireless charger, when this in 100% i use soft reset but i dont remove of charger.

When dont use the soft reset, i go to home with 20% in 16~17 hour last charge

Good difference, bad when i give a soft reset with 20%, i get simply with 40% !

mathewhayward

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded Jetpack Joyride the other day and finally played it yesterday. Can you tell when I did?

etRsDpB.png

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded Jetpack Joyride the other day and finally played it yesterday. Can you tell when I did?

http://i.imgur.com/etRsDpB.png

LOL...my phone witnessed the same massive battery drain playing it (surprisingly fun game).

why does this phone's battery not handle games so well? My battery has improved quite a bit in the last few weeks, except for games. And no, im not playing heavy 3D...im talking about Plants vs Zombies or Blob2.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Here are a couple of screenshots taken after a couple of days use when i first got my lumia 920 back last year.
I was asked by a friend to catalogue what i get after my first few days, set up - 3g, data off, wi fi off, xbox (all services) off, location off, bluetooth off, screen brightness: low. Apps installed: no third party apps.
wp_ss_20121210_0001.png

wp_ss_20121210_0002.png

Test run with battery saver on constant

wp_ss_20121214_0002.png

wp_ss_20121216_0001.png

But after portico, they changed the brightness setting, changing it to low does not dim the display at all its in between medium and touch high so now I use the automatic setting + sunlight readability on.

Also I have changed 2g with data off (constant full reception with no quality issues often people ask if i'm using a divert to a landline when they call my phone).

Now given the roll out of 4g with O2 i have noticed a drastic fluctuation with battery life with 3g as it is constantly hopping for better signal and since i have now a tonne of apps installed battery drain is obviously higher with data on as unfortunately you cannot block all apps from running in the background.

So if I'm at the office all day I use wi-fi (with auto-connect off, notify off and send wi fi connections info for hot spot discovery off and keep alive-on) as battery drain is substantially less given the wi fi signal is always at full strength.

Last edited:

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Here are a couple of screenshots taken after a couple of days use when i first got my lumia 920 back last year.
I was asked by a friend to catalogue what i get after my first few days, set up - 3g, data off, wi fi off, xbox (all services) off, location off, bluetooth off, screen brightness: low. Apps installed: no third party apps.
View attachment 35514

View attachment 35515

Test run with battery saver on constant

View attachment 35516

View attachment 35517

But after portico, they changed the brightness setting, changing it to low does not dim the display at all its in between medium and touch high so now I use the automatic setting + sunlight readability on.

Also I have changed 2g with data off (constant full reception with no quality issues often people ask if i'm using a divert to a landline when they call my phone).

Now given the roll out of 4g with O2 i have noticed a drastic fluctuation with battery life with 3g as it is constantly hopping for better signal and since i have now a tonne of apps installed battery drain is obviously higher with data on as unfortunately you cannot block all apps from running in the background.

So if I'm at the office all day I use wi-fi (with auto-connect off, notify off and send wi fi connections info for hot spot discovery off and keep alive-on) as battery drain is substantially less given the wi fi signal is always at full strength.

I noticed you've got battery save always on...im sure that was helping conserve the battery life a lot.

All i want is my phone to last 1.5 days, with data on and using a few light background processes like weather flow and battery sense. If I let the phone sit there and not use it...i can probably get it to a full day. But the reason I got smartphone is to use it....not sit idle for days. Start surfing, listening to music or playing a game and the phones bbattery begins draining...fast.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster