Lumia 920 reviews

hexapixel

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
My NOKIA Lumia 920 & Windows Phone 8 Experience

I've had my NOKIA Lumia 920 for quite a while now, and I thought I'd share my experience with the phone and discuss the pros and cons of the phone and Windows Phone 8 platform. Prior to making the 920 my daily driver, I've been using the following phones over the past few months: iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy S3 (my girlfriends phone, but have used it enough times to get a feel for the performance and Android OS), NOKIA Lumia 710, HTC One X, BlackBerry Bold 9900, iPhone 4S. I switch phones frequently, primarily because I feel the platform and/or hardware doesn't fit what I consider "the best phone ever". I've used iOS, Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone in depth, and I'm familiar with what each platform offers consumers. That being said, I've been able to compare the competition to my Windows Phone, and Microsoft has really stood out for me.

For the Lumia 920, it took me a few devices to get one that functioned properly - 4 in total. The first few batches had dead pixels, and my last one suffered from the reported screen flicker and dreaded screen leakage. After examining the unit I have now, I can confidently say there's no flaws to it. I use my 920 frequently throughout the day, and I'd consider myself a heavy user: e-mails, web browsing, YouTube, social media, RSS reading, Netflix watching, texting, phone calls and games. If I take my phone off the charger at around 8am, it'll last me until 10pm on a full charge. For me, that's pretty good, and it's what I expect from a mobile phone that I end up charging every night. The hardware of the 920 is what you'd come to expect from NOKIA - stellar. One of my 920's suffered from creaking noises when pressing down on the phone's casing, but the issue has been cleared up and resolved with my new phone. Everything feels premium, and the phone's weight has been rather nice opposed to light devices like the iPhone 5 - it makes the phone feel solid. The screen on the 920 is really impressive- text looks sharp and colors look great.

The camera on the 920 has been a wonderful experience. The other night I was at a bar with some of my friends, and we decided to get a group shot for St. Pats. Only my phone was able to take awesome photos in the dark environment, and I didn't need to use flash. Daytime photos are just as impressive. The camera is amazing- period. The phone's performances has also been notable, and it's extremely smooth. Apps open really quick, the OS is really fluid. On Android I found the OS would slow down and lag, but I haven't noticed any stutters on Windows Phone 8. Aside from some apps missing, I really like the NOKIA-based apps the company offers. They're really focusing on customer satisfaction and I can dig that. Also, when having to replace phones, NOKIA was a huge help and were really easy going about my situations.

Aside from pros (and I'm sure I'm missing some), here are some possible improvements:

- Instagram! In all serious, that's the one app I'm dying for Windows Phone to get and it's the only major app I feel the platform is missing. Sure, games such as Temple Run are missing, but the games on Windows Phone 8 are sufficient enough that I don't mind (plus, there's alternatives like Rag Doll Run)

- HERE maps can be improved to compete with Google Maps

- The external speaker for phone calls could be louder (slightly - it's still good)

- Really wish NOKIA would release their Music app in Canada, and also would like to see local scout as well

- Close all for mutli-tasking windows

- Would be nice to group all contacts together in the phone app (if I call a contact more than once, instead of showing individual call logs, combine them all together under that persons name)

- Would be nice if they allowed the Calendar app live tile to display more than one event - Chrono (I think it's called?) fixed this issue for me

One thing I thought I should mention: When my Me tile wasn't allowing me to Check In (it is now BTW), I went to the Microsoft store in Toronto and talked to a sales rep. He too had a 920, and we were talking about our experiences with the phone. He said that since the initial launch of the 920, NOKIA changed the manufacturing process to tighten the gap between the display and the unibody casing to reduce dust from building infront of the camera and under the screen. I told him how I never had this issue, and he said that's why (I have a latter batch). Also, my phone has never experienced any random reboots or turns off while idle.

Overall, I can say the Lumia 920 is one of the best devices I've ever owned. The build quality is superb, and the social media integration is on a next level. Live tiles are amazing, and everything is well planned out. I'd take this phone, again, over the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the HTC One. It's that good. Really happy with this phone, and both NOKIA + Microsoft hit a home run.

TheShez

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
My First Two Weeks With WP 8 and Nokia Lumia 920....

Two weeks ago I made the decision to switch from a Blackberry Bold 9780 to a Nokia Lumia 920.

I was going to purchase a Blackberry Z10 but went for the Nokia, purely for it's rugged build quality.

Whilst using it I have encountered quite a few annoying issues, they are listed below, and if you have any suggestions as to how I remedy them, please feel free to offer any advice you have to give.

Cannot send a text to someone if you've got their number stored as 'Work' has to be 'mobile'.

If someone is logged into Facebook it's possible to think you sent a text but actually send them a Facebook message, because the two are grouped together.

There are no customisable sound profiles. (I used to like the 'phone calls only' profile on my BB).

No option to 'delete all' from email inbox.

Not able to change the amount of pulses for different types of message, or set different tone volumes for email, text, whatsapp, etc. (When using my BB I knew whether I'd received a text, and email, a BBM, or a Facebook notification simply by the amount of times my phone vibrated).

Adjusting the volume of the music player also adjusts ringtone volume.

Vibrate cannot be deactivated without going to the settings menu.

The Facebook app is sh*t, doesn't always link with messages properly, can't jump back to the home page easily when browsing photos, etc, and just discovered that when someone comments on my photos, if i tap the notification all I see is the photo with no comments!

I keep pressing the search button by accident when using other apps, taking me out of that particular app and opening Bing, quite annoying.

Windows Phone app for Mac doesn't give any details of synced contacts, and only runs on OS 10.7 or higher. (Had to upgrade from 10.6.8).

Battery life of Lumia 920 is poor.

Can't turn of vibration of bottom three keys.

Fitting the official Nokia rubber case has made my phone creak because it's so tight to get on and made of stiff rubber.

Last edited:

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: My First Two Weeks With WP 8 and Mokia Lumia 920....

You could have found all these answers in the forums. All of your complaints are true. Some for the most part.

elando_16

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
A week with the Lumia 920 ...& going :)

Hello guys & gals,

I'm a new member here. I have been following WP8 & the Nokia Lumia 920 since the beginning.
I just bought a yellow Lumia from AT&T last Tuesday (4/2) due to my previous phone acting like a pelotudo (dumba**)
So far, so good. In the beginning the only problem was the battery, which was plain horrible. I kept thinking "did I make the right decision by buying this phone with the abysmal battery life?" Of course I did! The following day I went to get a haircut and my barber saw the L920 & then came the compliments. The build quality is in my opinion better than an Iphone.

3 days ago I did a search on battery saving tips with the L920 & stumbled to many pages, including some right here in wpcental. I shut down some background apps & voila, my battery life is awesome now. On a good day I can get up to 13-16hrs of battery life (I'm up at 8am to 2am) ..I'm still not a heavy user as I don't use Maps or City Lens that much in my area (Orlando, FL). I'm still new to this OS, but I think I have the hang of it. I will be staying with Windows Phone, not buying an Android or IOS phone.

Some things that I love about this phone/OS

- Able to take a screenshot just by holding the power + start menu button ..no more downloading 3rd party apps to this.
- The screen is the BEST I've seen on a phone.
- It's quick, fluid OS ..have not experience any lagging.
- Office :D
- Camera is flawless ..I still haven't fully tested it yet but there's upcoming time for that.
- Live tiles!!!!
- Volume is very loud. I use Pandora, Tune-In & Rhapsody and with the volume up to 30, it still sounds clear.
- Build quality is amazing!!!

Some things I didn't like.

- no FLAC support :'( ..my music library is huge & all in FLAC but not being able to transfer it to my L920 sucks. Still have my J3 though ;)
- The location of the speaker (at the bottom of the phone). I have big hands and when I turn the phone sideways to watch a video or play a game via Snes8x, I block out the sound grr. I know the L928 has the speaker in the back of the phone, that should had been done with this phone ..what happened here Nokia?
- App store is good but missing some of the apps I use a lot on Android. Those apps being AutoZone, Walgreens, just to name a few. I know WP8 will eventually get these apps & more, it's still growing by the day. Hopefully 160k-180k by the end of the year.
- I don't like Bing search that well, got the google search app lol

There's still A LOT to learn about this phone & the OS as well. I'm not going to worry about the L928 or "Catwalk" ..I'll stay with my yellow L928 whose been the center of attention at my job & in public. It clearly stands out from the rest & everyday when I go out I usually get a compliment on it. "What type of phone is that?" "It's nice!", "I like the color" ..things like that. I really wish Microsoft & Nokia would be a little more dedicated to marketing, that way people won't asking "what type of phone is that?" ..instead they'll ask "Is that the Nokia Lumia 9**" ..get it together Microsoft, if you want to be in the top always. Hell, more people know about BB Z10 than a Windows Phone. Sad. But that's about it. Regarding the whole Instagram app for WP8, hopefully it comes soon. But for now I'll use Metrogram, it's just as good.

Well that's all folks ..hopefully If I run into some problems with my L920, I can get some help in these forums. :)

Jimmy Cooper

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: A week with the Lumia 920 ...& going :)

Btw in the internet settings you can change the search provider to google or did you mean the bing app thing in general? Also I havnt really used Snes8x that much and by the sounds of it you use it a lot. What kind of games did you manage to get on there?

elando_16

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: A week with the Lumia 920 ...& going :)

Btw in the internet settings you can change the search provider to google or did you mean the bing app thing in general? Also I havnt really used Snes8x that much and by the sounds of it you use it a lot. What kind of games did you manage to get on there?

Nah, I don't use it a lot ..I just installed it yesterday ..kinda hard to play it at times.
I managed to get Mortal Kombat II on there via SkyDrive.

Here's a pic
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2B771A4C01A75F13!173&authkey=!ADPmVNBVICNj9RI

tgzgeorge

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
One of the things that bothers me about the Lumia is storage being only 32gb, I wish they made one with 64gb or heck 128gb.

Otherwise I'm very satisfied with the 920. The ecosystem however needs more maturity and apps will come, that day can't come soon enough. I'd like to see flipboard and pocket, there are others such an app from my banks but now I used the mobile site.

switchthreesixty

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Bamboozled by the Lumia 920 promise

This phone has been an unmitigated disaster.
Strong words I know. But, before you lambaste me as a ******, hyperbolic, or blame it on a faulty device please hear me out and note that everything I am about to state is true. Moreover, Nokia was notified of the following issues and had every opportunity to fix these issues or at the very least state that my issues were a potential result of a faulty device. I believe this is critical. I asked Nokia, point blank, multiple times whether my issues were normal or due to a faulty device? Nokia acquiesces that my device, ?as is? is perfectly acceptable according to Nokia standards since they did not respond by saying that my issues didn?t seem right or recommended sending it in. Instead, they responded in typical corporate fashion that they maintain high standards and are working hard to bring great products along with a long list of form and canned responses about phone rests and up-to-date updates.

I can only gather that according to Nokia I do not have a faulty device. If it was or fell below their standards they at the very least should have recommended sending it in. Not just the suggestion that I have the option to send it in.

Issues:
Camera improperly sealed:
Within days of receiving the phone a significant amount of dust has collected under the front camera glass. Nokia did not recommend sending the device in and therefore has acquiesced that this is acceptable. Further, resets and software isn?t going to fix this.

Subpar Battery life:
With moderate to light use my phone battery only gets 7 to 9 hours tops, sometimes as few as 5 hours. With a phone that is as thick as the Lumia is I expect that with a trade off for that thickness I would get a lot better battery life. Even ultra thin phones get much better battery life. Again, Nokia is aware of this and responded that I hit the back button 7 times, dim my brightness, have the latest updates and restart my phone, ect. After stating I have done all of these and asked if this is normal and or acceptable, again Nokia did not say; ?that doesn?t seem right? or even recommend that I send it in for testing.

Freezes after Dropped calls:
Every time the phone drops a Microcell phone call the phone completely freezes for 10 minutes or more, unless I restart the phone that takes about 5 mins before I am able to call the person back. Then I started using Skype to circumvent this issue, however at the end of every Skype call the screen goes completely snowy, just like old TVs that couldn?t get a signal. I can?t restart the phone at all when this happens, but it rectifies itself after 20 mins, but in the meantime can?t use my phone. Informed Nokia about these issues and asked whether I have a faulty device or whether it is something I have to live with until Nokia/Microsoft figure their software out, again, no indication that something was wrong. They simply suggested that I have the latest updates, which I already informed them the phone has everything up-to-date.

Nokia Here:
Nokia touted the ability to download maps to navigate places without cell service, as well as, speed the map app up. However, after clicking ?get directions? to any particular place it takes a very long time to give the route to allow the screen/maps to be touched and manipulated as it remains grey for a long time. If you do touch it, you lose the route and the location and have to start over. This isn?t the speed promised by downloadable maps. Furthermore, if I run a second search for address or locale the app crashes every single time. So, I cannot run two consecutive routings. This is unacceptable to me and is not fulfilling any promise of speed or even usability from Nokia. I know I sound like a broken record, but with no indication from Nokia that this isn?t normal, I can only gather Nokia finds this acceptable. I also notice this exact behavior from a Lumia 920 demo in a Microsoft store. Again, the phone is completely up-to-date and again, no recommendation to send the phone in. On the aside, the apps ability to search is horrible. You have to write locales perfectly, it cannot handle misspellings or incomplete entries. I wrote ?Regions? the search comes up empty, but if I write ?Region?s Hospital? the search finds it. Also, the app constantly crashes and causes the phone in short time to get very hot. Please note, I am talking about the Nokia Here app and not the Navigation app. However, Navigation app works well, but sadly doesn?t say street names.

Random Crashes and Reboots:
Apps often crash. I am talking about Microsoft apps or apps like Messenger that are baked into the OS. Also, my phone randomly reboots once in awhile. Again, Nokia did not recommend sending it in, but rather stated some corporate double speak about blaming 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party apps.

Heat:
The phone often gets really hot even when not doing anything intense on the phone. (I don?t game.) I have heard this is due to bad coding causing the processor to loop. But, ultimately Microsoft should code to not let this happen, furthermore their app store is closed and have to be approved.

Switching from Edge, 4G, and LTE:
Once the phone is locked onto one it struggles to switch to another. I have to turn Airplane mode on and off. Moreover, turning this mode on and off takes a very long time, 20 seconds or more just to turn it on. Nokia seems to think both of these issues are acceptable. Further, when traveling with a friend?s iPhone 3GS on ATT, he consistently got better bars, and often I would not have any service while he had half bars. I found this odd. (I too have ATT)

Vibrate:
Sounds like something is loose, which is fine with me if it is simply the floating lenses of the camera, but again Nokia didn?t address this at all. That I know of.

The following is more broken promises on the Microsoft/Nokia software side. It is easy to ?blame? Microsoft, but Nokia is such a close partner with Microsoft and Nokia made the choice to place WP8 on their phone, so I don?t think they get to escape blame here.

Photos:
I have my phone set to automatically sync photos with Skydrive. Deleted photos from both the phone and Skydrive, but the deleted pictures keep popping up on my photo Live Tile. Not cool.

Contacts:
I deleted obsolete phone numbers from the contacts and try to replace them, the old numbers don?t get deleted the keep coming back. Also, it was promised that I would have close Facebook integration, but yet my contact?s photo doesn?t appear when they call me. I feel this is odd. Moreover I get many duplicate contacts and no means to link.

Windows 8 integration:
Other than saving a limited category of files to Skydrive there doesn?t seem to be much integration. This isn?t a strong sticking point for me, just thought it was worth mentioning. But, I do remember strong marketing on this point. So, in my eyes this appears to be a broken promise.

SMS Backup:
Speaking of integration, SMS backup is a joke. The native settings offer an option to backup texts. Great. But, I had to do some kung fu address bar manipulation that I found through these forums to get the messages to appear in outlook. There's no way to transfer them to a new non-WP8 phone. Moreover, each individual message, not message thread, but individual messages shows up as an individual ?email.? It is tedious and only the phone number associated with the texts shows up as the sender and not the contacts name. Android does backups with ease. And I was able to get my sms texts off of my iOS device.

The promise of ?Windows?:
I can?t get ebub, Mobi or even PDF?s onto my phone through the file system. I realize that you can through Skydrive, but the name Windows implies better file management. This phone feels more locked down than Apple, but with a worse App selection and more limitations.

Apps:
I don?t mean to beat a dead horse here, but I will add that my credit union has an app on IOS and Android, CBS NCAA bracket app is on IOS, but neither are on WP8; these are simply the last two apps I tried to get. Both, are big wide spread institutions.

Live Tiles:
I was promised these would more beautifully replace widgets. The majority of my Live Tiles are static and only shows a logo. Most of the baked in app?s live tiles don?t show any discernable info or dynamic content. Messenger for example shows some of the newest message text, but only on the largest Tile setting, not the half size one, let alone the small.

This is Microsoft?s baby. As mentioned before, it crashes and freezes a phone that is as close to a Surface Phone as we have right now in the Lumia. This level of incompetence is mind-boggling. Skype on my LG Optimus G is much more stable, reliable and usable.

Alarm:
I got a message from an Alarm app stating there is a WP8 limitation that an alarm can?t be set to second increments, but only minutes. Small thing I know, but really? It can?t handle seconds? That is like a calculator that is unable to handle decimal points.

Copy and Paste:
I often find myself unable to copy and paste all over the phone UI. This still is an issue I guess. Specifically, I found an address on Nokia Here, I wanted to copy and paste said address to text to a friend so he knew where to meet for dinner. Which is a fairly common thing to do. But, couldn?t copy and paste, I was only presented with the option to ?share? the address, which meant sending a URL, I am guessing of a Nokia online maps, to my friend. Also, tried to copy a phone number in ?People,? can?t copy that either. Is this a joke Microsoft? This was an issue for Apple in 2007. You started building WP8 well after that. It?s 2013. Six years and still can?t be trusted to do basic OS functions? Again, REALLY? Again, a broken promise. When buying this OS I assumed the basics would be working.

3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Party apps:
Crash a lot or refuse to work. I realize many of you will have a knee jerk reaction to blame the developers. But, I ask as a layman, why did I not have these issues as wide spread on the iphone 4? IOS is closed and controlled and so is WP8, so why the vast difference?

In conclusion:
I am not na?ve. I know this post will likely be met with responses that will claim that I am a ****** or that I have a faulty device. On the former, I simple stated the facts of what my phone was doing and issues I ran into. Moreover I don?t really like IOS, thus why I made the switch to WP8. Also, I think simply dismissing my issues stated as purely trolling or fanboyism is, I feel, a cheap shot and arguments of such don?t carry any discernable weight. On the latter, if you respond that I simply had a faulty device because your phone do not display these hardware problems, I would love to agree, however, Nokia doesn?t agree. Otherwise at the very minimum they would have advised me to exchange the phone, so according to Nokia my phone falls within their acceptable standards even though it may fall below your particular phone hardware.

Cadet Christmas

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Bamboozled by the Lumia 920 promise

Wow :(

As someone who is experiencing just about the exact opposite of what you've had to deal with, I can honestly say...WOW. I'm sorry. That is a heaping pile of issues, and that sucks.

As im fairly new to the smartphone game, im not even sure what to say. The hardware issues are COMPLETELY on Nokia, and if what you say is true, im not very confident about any dealings I might have to do with them. My Lumia has been solid so far, and everything I've read praises the 920 for its design and durability. I'm sorry you got a garbage one.

The WP8 issues well...ive run into a few glaring weaknesses or omissions myself, but not to the level you have experienced. That being said, the next Windows Phone update better be massive and thorough. You're right on so many points, and I hope Microsoft can address every last one ASAP.

I don't have much else to offer, but I just wanted to recognize your frustrations. You shouldn't have to deal with a half broken device AND a young OS. If Nokia isn't going to help you, leave them.

A few issues I may be able to help with tho: for copy/pasting a number from the People hub, try doing a long press. I'll have to go check, but I know I have been able to. Far as contacts go, if I link a phone number account to their Facebook, the FB photo shows every time. And I always have an option to link.

If I can think of any more I'll come back :) in the meantime, I wish you better luck with your cell phone experience.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Bamboozled by the Lumia 920 promise

Okay so I'm just wondering if you'd like some help or advice to try to fix any of these issues if that's at all possible or if this was a post that is meant to inform everyone else and that's it?

Just in case you did want some feedback:

I really really do empathise with you completely. If I'd had your experience there's a good chance I'd never touch a WP phone again and head off somewhere else but from what I can see your device really is faulty. You say that you've contacted Nokia multiple times and not once have they said you are experiencing something out of the ordinary or something that would fail a quality check. That's a very bad experience right there. My phone has only ever had one issue, which is the first one on your list, the dust in the front-facing camera and I've had acknowledgement that it is a fault and they have repaired my phone because of it. I have heard some people having a static screen like that and the suggestion was that there might be something wrong with the video memory on the phone itself.

Have you tried to go to Nokia's website and book the phone in for a repair? They pick it up from your house, examine the device and repair/replace if needed. I understand you say Nokia have never alluded that any of your experiences are sub-par or in need of a repair but I'm pretty sure most of the replies you're going to get will be telling you to try to get it repaired or go to the place you bought it to get an exchange.

This is the UK Repair Centre link... maybe you can find a version for your own country?

I'm not saying that all of your issues will be fixed with a different device at all, but think it would help a lot. I really hope you manage to fix the problems you are having.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I tried to post followup, but moderators decided to "review" my post and posted my comment to another thread that didn't make sense.
I don't understand this.

You had switched from Windows Phone to the HTC One. That post was concerning that. So it was moved to the appropriate thread regarding leaving WP for another phone.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I am not an owner of 920, I have HTC 8x/ and I went here to find out is 920 better than 8X and is it possible for me to switch.
At first let me say that I had two Lamia 800 and one HTC HD7. I switched back to iPhone after MS decided not to update old phones to WP8. And I told myself, forget about WP. Use what you used before. But because I do love Windows, I bought HTC 8x.

Why not 920? Primary because of very bad experience I had with Lumia 800 and secondary because 920 looks like mammoth. It is heavy and big. So I bought HTC 8X. Only after few months later I understood that it was my mistake. I don't like HTC, always saying this company released nothing than half-ready devices with too many strange and stupid decisions in design and support.

Last two weeks I was lost in thought. Should I sell 8X and buy 920? The main reason was - much, much better camera in 920. May be for some people camera on phone is not a key element, but for me, it is. I do have good Canon camera, but if phone can make good pictures (for personal collection), why should I take camera in every trip? The second reason - 32 GB of storage versus 16 GB in 8x. Yesterday I was able to play with 920 and compare it with 8X side by side. Here what I can say about best things in both phones compared to each other.

- Camera still images. 920 much better in auto mode, but has less options :( 8X can produce same quality only with good environment light.
- Camera video - 920 best! Don't even want to compare :)
- Sound (ringer) - Both loud and good.
- Vibration - 8X much better (for me as I like to hear and feel it). 920 has motor weaker than twice! You can barely hear it. :(
- Storage - 920
- Software - 920 (I mean exclusive apps from nokia for Lumia, like app to clear famous Other storage.
- Design - I like 8X over 920. But 920 looks good too. Draw.
- Screen - 8X has 4.3’’, Lumia 4.5 and having 4.3'' screen, 8X as tall as Lumia with 4.5! :( So here 920 is better.
- Colors - 8X has warmer white color, 920 colder.
- Weight - Looks like I can live with "brickLumia" although I think with such weight they should put nuclear reactor inside it so we can use it whole live :)
- I cannot find flip-to-mute option in Lumia. If there are no such options, 8X won here. It has flip-to-mute, continues vibration and louder volume when in pocket. And quiet ring on pick up. From this list I need only continues vibration! This is one of the best features in 8X. Believe me I never missed the call even in a very loud environment.
- Stability. I don't know why there are so many posts about freezes and reboots of 920. May be because Nokia sold twice or even more 920 that HTC 8x? I didn't have any issues with 8X since I bought it.
- Strange heating issue with 920. I did nothing, just played with settings and found back side of phone was warm.

So for me, 920 has more to give me than 8X, but it miss some very important features. I really hope Nokia would include them in future release as I can see they only company who cares about WP.

________
This is about phones and now let me express some thought about Windows Phone.

At first I have to say that I has all kind of phones starting from my first Nokia 3110. iPhones from 3G, Samsung SGS2 and so on. And because I also a software developer (currently primary focused on mobile development) and know what OSes have inside :)

I do like WP because it stable, fast and "butter" smooth. It brings fresh air into mobile phones. Something really different than iOS, not only in visual experience, but in software development side too. And I still believe that someday we will have WP as powerful as other OSes. This is list of what I really hate in WP. This is my IMHO, you should not agree with as it is not the truth is the last resort.

But! This is the phone first, next - minicomputer. Even iOS gives better experience as a phone. You can make calls faster, phone book better. And I am not talking about android where you can do everything. Who did "invent" phone caller and phone book in WP? The people hub idea is great, but give me some ability to reach phone number faster than 5 clicks :( iOS has simple but very useful favorites. You add name and number there and call it by single tap! Where is smart dialer from WM? Does inventor of new dialer ever sow mobile phones!?
(Hell is prepared to torture him! Will be forced to call random numbers from list of at least 1000 contacts for eternity! Just a joke of course. :) )

List of applications. As I understand, developers just tired and just made simple list. When you have 10 apps, it’s okay. But when you have 100? You are doomed! You can ether put all of them on main screen (making it as a very long canvas) or you have to spend a lot of clicks\scrolls to reach it and even jump list doesn't help you as it required clicks. This must be improved somehow.

Windows ecosystem? Never heard of it :). I see no integration between phone and windows 8. Except may be Xbox stats :)

Restrictions, restrictions and restrictions.

This is clear that MS wants their system to be fast and responsive so people receive only good experience from it. I understand it, but why to cut every good idea?

MS added SD cards support, but it useless as storage. No apps can access it if it has not declared support for file types. For example you have an app with can handle .txt files. This app can create, open, read files from SD which is only have .txt extension. And you cannot register app to handle "*.*" all files.

Phone has excellent share function, but you cannot access it as a developer! Why Windows 8 (Metro style) apps have it, but not WP apps? I have Win8 tablet and can compare it.

Phone can receive and send any files using Bluetooth, NFC. But if no applications can handle file extension, it will be lost after receiving! Why did you open access to phone storage as removable device (when attached to PC), but could not store received files there!???

As for me it looks like WP team is very very "lazzy" to predict using of features and to implement them. Some restrictions cannot be justified. And please don't start to compare Wp with early versions of iOS and android! We are living now and in nowadays, if you enter some business, you should provide at least same functionality out from the box! Or when we will receive (for example) full file system with explorer, iOS or Android will have teleportation abilities.

I don't want to switch back to iPhone. It gives less than current WP. And I do not want to return to anarchic system of android.
But, never say never. Patience is not unlimited. And who knows what will be in future.

Sorry for such big post with a lot of letters and forgive my bad English. It is not my native language and I still learning it.

prof254

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I had a HTC Touch Dual with Windows Mobile 5.5 then switched to Android. Been on it for the past couple of years, until I saw the Lumia 920. And now I think Windows has a proper OS on its hands. I wrote a user review of Lumia 920 and Windows Phone 8 in general for Appstorm. You can read it here:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Marc Bolh

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: impressions over the first 24 hrs

There is a lot to like about the Lumia 920. I like the big screen and solid feel in the hand. The square feel tool some getting used to but I find it refreshing in a world full of rounded edges. I also like the fact that you can stand it upright on a flat surface.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: impressions over the first 24 hrs

I am loving everything about the device, the only flaw with my specific L920 is its battery which i consider subpar. Otherwise, the phone is nearly perfect in every respect (to me).

mits

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
my first week

I've had my 920 for almost a week now so thought it would be a good time to give my impressions. I bought mine sim free.

Build quality:
I purchased a black 920 as i prefer to have a slightly understated look (and also less of a fingerprint magnet even though the other colours are a lot of fun). I've always been a big fan of Nokia and have previously been the proud owner of a Nokia n8, e7-00, lumia 800 & n9. More recently, iPhone 5 & HTC Butterfly
Safe to say i'm blown over by the build quality. The phone always sounds like its really heavy in the reviews. I would probably chose the word "reassuring" as in it wont break easily if it falls, you know when its in your pocket and if someone tries to mug you it can also double as a weapon in defense. The finish is exemplary. I've found the screen to be bright and very good even in sunlight and have never had to adjust the brightness beyond medium as yet. In terms of storage i kind of ran out of things to put on the phone. I've crammed a fair amount of music, a seasons worth of high quality justice league animations and my holiday pics as well as uk maps and still have 2 gb spare. I've always been a big fan of SD card slots in phones but not so much now. The camera shutter button is a big boon.

Software:
Having been on ios and android for the last few years i've found windows phone 8 to be really refreshing. Its the best of both worlds. I was a big fan of the simple app launching in ios and the widgets in google but even though google allowed greater customization, maybe its me but i was never able to create a home screen how i wanted it too. I love the live tile interface in windows and with the right visual tweaks from the information gathered on the thread i was able to create the perfect home screen for myself.The os as a whole is very fluid and the transitions are smooth and i havent experienced any lag at all. I now have full skydrive integration and all my google contacts have now been transferred over to my hotmail account so that email and contacts sync smoothly. I've also gone the whole hog and purchased office 365 and windows 8 for my laptop ( the last time i made such a huge transition was when i went the way of the fruit and got everything "i", never thought i'd do that for windows). Next stop new xbox and surface mini when it finally appears.
I've manged to find all the apps i've needed with the exception of an AMEX app. Only then will my phone experience be complete lol .Until then good old windows phone explorer shortcut.The internet browser is very fast and it actually allows me to monitor my home cctv properly where my android and apple phones would not display the feeds properly.I'm also loving the xbox app and the satnav has been very reliable with a quick lock and quick re-routing.

Call & Sound Quality:
In call quality so far has been really good.The signal is very strong and not once have i dropped a call and the internet has been quick as well Sound output via headphones is a little low but on the plus side i use good quality headphones and not once has the sound distorted and signals been relatively clean.

Photos:
I've not really used this feature much with the exception of creating contact photos but i've been impressed so far. I'm a sucker for SLR's and Semi-Pro compact cameras so this one isnt too big a deal but its very quick with a good selection of filters.

Round-up:
Overall i have to say i'm really impressed with my phone. Shouldnt have taken me this long to get one but thats my fault.

What would i like in future updates of a lumia?

Screen size?? - in all honesty i quite like this size. I've had the 5" HTC butterfly for a few months and even though it was an awesome screen i find 4.5 to be optimum for me. Phone easier to handle
Resolution?? - 720p versus 1080p. Can honestly say i;ve had phones with both and the difference is negligible. Not too fussed with that one.
Processor??- I find my lumia 920 to be pretty slick. Maybe for games as they get more demanding a faster processor but i havent really felt i ever utilised the quad core in the HTC Butterly
Storage?? - Contrary to what i mentioned earlier 64gb would be ideal if they were gonna seal the memory in. 32gb should be the new minimum.
Battery?? - I have found location services does deplete the battery pretty quick. A larger or a user replaceable battery would be greatly appreciated. Preferably larger otherwise it would ruin the look.
Headset?? - Nokia do some qood quality headsets, they should ideally supply one as standard with a flagship device.

On the whole my review rating for my top 3 handsets are:

Lumia 920: 9/10
HTC Butterfly: 8.5/10
iPhone 5: 8/10

Overall a very happy punter :)

Vellamoose

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: my first week

Hi all new here & just got my 920 after using the N9 for almost 2yrs. Loved that phone(thanks to all in maemo.org else that phone would have been way below par).
My review on the 920
Good points:
1) Got more apps than N9
2) Didn't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to use the phone (was expecting an entire new learning curve but it wasn't the case)
3) The camera ooohlala
4) Data connection speed on wifi or 4G definately a plus

Bad Points
1) Message tones can be set to our own tones
2) Can't find blocking function in many apps like call blocker, whatsapp block sender etc
3) No phone log for total manipulation of called or rec'd numbers
4) Phone gets very hot during charging either wireless or cabled
5) Expanding page with 2 fingers isn't as straight fwd as it's suppose to be

Overall, still a pretty descent phone

ololmarc

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 920 experience... Blinded by fanboyism

I was very excited to get my hands on a Lumia 920. This was back in November when Rogers announced its release.
I must have gotten on the nerves on many of the corporate Rogers stores due to me always calling in every day asking when the phone will arrive....
After many days of calls and being told to just wait, a rep at Vancouver downtown said he will hold one for me if I hurried over to the store.
I dropped everything and headed to downtown. Must have took me 45 minutes to get there, but it was worth it!!

Before the 920, I used my fair share of Windows Phone 7 devices. I started with the HTC Surround, which was a horrible phone.. then switched to the Optimus 7, which was nicer; but random restarts started to really **** me off... I then finally switched to the awesome Samsung Focus (which has been my favorite WP7 device). I then dumped it for the HTC Radar. I liked the white and it was a very nice phone to use. I enjoyed my time with Windows Phone. I honestly thought that it is the best operating system out there for devices...

Now that I had my 920, I was very satisfied. Pictures came out perfect! I was the envy among friends and colleagues for having the new Lumia 920 first.... But that all died down after a couple of hours... It was not as much attention as I had hoped to get. You see, I was one of those guys who got the iPhone 4 before launch and everyone looked at my device with jealousy. This time around, No one cared or even looked... It did not have that "wow" factor. But I didn't mind it.

Showing off the many features of the camera to my friends and family was great because they were amazed at the phone, but it did not do any justice to help them consider a Lumia rather than a Galaxy or an iPhone due to the apps the Appstore has, or the features that Android possesses.. Even the wireless charging amazed them, but they found that it was kinda useless if you wanted to use your phone while it is charging--I personally enjoyed it.

To make a long story short... I purchased an S3 at a ridiculously low price to sell off craigslist. I tested myself if I can justify saying that Windows Phone is a better OS than Android... And it really burst my bubble. I cannot say that it is a better operating system anymore... There's absolutely 0 lag with this S3 (and I always said that Androids were "Lagdroids"). I could not find any reason why I should go back to my Lumia (I don't use my phone's camera anyways). The features that Android possesses has been more than I could have thought of. And wow, the apps. After being with Windows Phone for a while, I forgot how many apps I actually use on a daily basis if it were offered. I was so pleased to see all my banking apps available.

Overall, my Lumia 920 has been a great device; but unfortunately, I am going to sell it.
Maybe when they add a notification system, and better push alerts, I will go back... The resale value of Windows Phones aren't high anyways. (Lumias go for $300 here).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers