Lumia 920 reviews

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
key words "works fine for me" does not help and i am not a troll i really need to find out what i did wrong or what is going on with the phone. calling everyone that lodges a complaint a troll is what drives people away from the forum and possibly from the brand. and belittling my intelligence isn't going to help either.

I think you will find many legitimate complaints that have not resulted in the person being branded a troll or Apple ****** or illiterate. It all comes down to the way you phrase your complaints. As people have already mentioned your use of caps did not help your case.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: impressions over the first 24 hrs

new update, NOKIA MUSIC SUCKS, songs wont play it is more like a store than a streaming music service like it was advertised, once in awhile it will play a song and then sit there, what a joke i really didn't need another puzzle.

Something to note, if you've only had the phone for 24 hours is that the Store App Updates are not checked all the time and I know of know way to force an update check, however you may find you have a bunch of app updates that will download over the next couple of days...

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
To be fair guys, he did complain about the phone after actually using it. :p

To the OP, your notifications for email, text, and phone calls will all show up via Start screen icons. Unlike iOS, Windows phone currently makes double use of all icons, henceforth known as Live Tiles, by showing a number over the a tile to let you know something has happened there. From time to time the tiles will flip over to give more exact information. This functionality, however, only occurs when you have set the tile to medium or large size and appropriately so.

Also, forgive the backlash. Being the barely forth place platform draws all sorts of ire from the more established OS users so we tend to get a good deal of trolling around here.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: impressions over the first 24 hrs

@Flan is right. The larger you make your live tiles on your start screen the more information they will display. Also, I think not every app has that "Fliping Over" capability to display more info but I could be wrong about that.

Kinalyx

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Im loving my lumia 920 and here's why!

I agree as well. I absolutely love my 920 and get a huge kick out of my buddy that has a GS2...thats right, TWO! and claims its still better than my 920 because nokia is "low end crap compared to samsung" and that windows phone is inferior to android but cant give me 1 reason as to why other than a couple apps he uses that i have zero interest in. Every time i show him something like a live tile or my lock screen that has a bunch of info on it, he says that its not important, he doesnt want to put money into bill gates' pocket.

I love the looks i get when i pull out my yellow 920 amongst everyones iphones or GSX phones.

Shawn

cuzincurly

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Im loving my lumia 920 and here's why!

I love my lumia too in spite of the lack of apps (I'm one of those who really want Instagram to come to WP),but I like the fact that I can find apps easily because the list is alphabetized and you could easily search for them within the phone.

It's also pretty unique compared to the sea of androids and iphones.

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Nokia/MS/L920: I *want* to love you but ...

So I've had a month with my L920 now. Previously an android user and spent some time flashing custom roms etc. In fact, that latter point was one of the reasons I made a change - too much choice/customisation became a bit of a pain. That, and the L920's camera. But ... you knew there was one... some basic things still get me.

1) The freezing issue - requiring a soft reboot - well, just to be clear the phone goes off (screen black) and the phone is unresponsive to anything but a soft reboot. This had only happened to me once in the past (while on the wireless charger). Today it's happened twice while off charge. Thankfully I wasn't relying it on an alarm this morning but after this, I doubt I ever would. I haven't updated to Portico (UK user and software isn't due out to February. Could do it manually but really I don't want to as not really sure that what I'll be loading will be what Nokia release to the UK).
2) On soft resetting, as I've done twice today, the time gets reset to September 2012, 5.30am. Auto setting the time has never worked on mine. It's really tedious to have to do this manually each time. Why doesn't this work?
3) App updates - it amazes me that there can be updates out there for apps that don't get pushed to my phone until a week or so later. Yesterday I had eight of them - could be that the crashing is related but with no idea which (or indeed if it's a newer app I've installed), it's a real hunt and pick to find the culprit (if there is one!). A combination of known unknowns and unknown unknowns. Arghh!
4) Nokia Drive - this was working perfectly until I actually REALLY needed it this weekend. Then the app was freezing/not updating.
5) MMS. Due to the bug with WP8 not accepting a port number after the MMS url, I can't send MMS over Virgin UK. This is documented in various places. No fix works for me unless I connect to data - I'm sure I don't need data on to receive MMS ...
6) Backup - given I've had to hard reset the phone a few times to try and solve issues already, the backup/restore solution is truly poor. I know this is well-acknowledges but I'm just listing the issues I'm having.
7) Swapping between WIFI networks - it just doesn't do it for me. I mean, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. CHecking any time I wander into range of a different network (we have a couple in our house) is a pain.
8) The WP store - this has been out of service at least four times in the last month (and I checked and worldwide people seemed to have issues). In fact, right NOW when I go to reinstall Nokia Drive, I get: "The Microsoft account service in unavailable at the moment. Try again later.'

I love the hardware, I love the OS in general terms, even the nokia official case is brilliant (soft one). But the basics are just that. Fundamental to operating the phone.

I'm struggling here. Any advice? (And pls don't tell me to return it as I've got a dud. I don't think there's anything wrong with the phone and I've never had to return a phone for hardware issues in the past.)

Ok. Just putting on protective armour now. FIRE AWAY!

Last edited:

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nokia/MS/L920: I *want* to love you but ...

Sounds like defective unit. Try exchanging it for another one.

But this will mean having the phone 'repaired' I expect. And exchanging it will mean toasting my expensive screen protector.

Besides, I'm just not convinced there's anything 'wrong' with it, as such. THere are too many people with the same symptoms. If the number of people reporting 'issues' = the number of defective units, then Nokia have serious quality control issues...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Nokia Drive is BETA i.e. NOT fully functional and only for those who are adventurous enough to test beta-apps. Compare this to Android beta-apps floating around in their development communities and you know it is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too good for a beta.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

I can honestly say that I have not had any of those problems, but I can understand that it is frustrating. I would contact the place where I bought the phone if I were you :)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Also, back up wise - it brings everything back other than game saves and achievements. So I'm not sure what's wrong here with "poor back up" as I've had about 8 restores myself in 2 months.

justmoe40

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

screen protectors are a waste of money. buy Dynaflo.

sometimes they do not bother fixing and send replacement. i have done a couple for the 900 and got a new one and it was a new batch with newest firmware(august). i am account manager for 60 lumias.

justmoe40

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

nokia drive is only beta if you replaced the original with the beta. it was not until later that issues were reported with the beta causing freezes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss