Battery life

Gambit11B

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
AT&T has removed this setting from their Windows Phones. An alternative is to dial ##3282, hit the three dots at the lower-right, and go to settings. This is a field test, and allows you to force the network connection to 3G... just remember their phones say "4G" when on 3G... That tripped me up for a while. I thought the setting wasn't working, but it does.

Actually, 4G is not 3G..... on AT&T, 4G is HSPA+ and LTE is LTE. 3G is 3G. This is proven by AT&T's iPhone 4S (which says 4G and is hooked up to HSPA+) which is not LTE enabled. AT&T uses two different 4G bands, LTE and HSPA+, because not all 4G devices are LTE enabled.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Had this phone for 3 months, best i can do is 10h or so every day. I had one day where i got 23h, but that was it, back to 10h days.

Bluetooth, NFC, high touch sensitivity, push, all turned Off.
Only app running in the background is Battery Widget.

I use about 1-2h of web browsing and rss reader per day and the occasional text or 2. Nothing else.

Hopeless battery, returned it twice they gave it back a week or two later and said nothing was wrong with it and that they used internet for 5h and it only dropped 2%.

Shredcow

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My 920 usually lasts a work day, from 8am till around 7pm, with 20% - 30% left. I actually think that's very good battery life considering that the People Hub is always connected to my Facebook and Twitter. Also got Whatsapp and 2 emails always connected.

In comparison, my old Nokia N8 and 808 also lasted around that time but they didn't have that that kind of persistent internet connection; I opened apps to access my Facebook and Twitter.

Anyhow, I did start out with horrid battery life, which stabilised to the above after about 2 weeks of use. I tried a hard reset, wiping everything, but the battery life remained as above.
I have experimented with having my 2 emails on sync every 15/30 mins vs always-connected and I don't see enough of a drain difference to recommend avoiding always-connected.
I have switched off all background apps, and left everything on... again, not enough of a drain difference to recommend switching off all/most background apps - I have a smart phone!
I did remove Nokia Drive Beta, uninstalled it and waiting for the full version to be released.
Also removed Skype but I don't think it caused any issues for me.

Did experience a crazy 25% per hour drain due to some syncing issue with Twitter and Outlook but sorted that out by clearing my Twitter account of all the extra permissions given other apps...

That's that.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have to charge my phone up each night but I'm getting roughly the same battery life (sometimes worse) as my iPhone 4. The signal at work is pretty poor and I know that a lot of the time the drain is because it's working harder when I'm using it to find a signal. I'm not overly worried about my battery life at the moment but would prefer a longer life with it, sure.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
While people think they have wonderful suggestions about disabling this and doing that, the reality is that none of it makes a difference.

These two pictures are the same phone with the same apps with the same cellular network and location and usage and everything. Just a different day of the week...

wp_ss_20130220_0001.pngwp_ss_20130212_0001.png

Yes, one looses less than 30% battery in 24 hours. The other is more typical and from the Peak Discharge rate, looses about the same in one of it's hours!

And before you start saying I'm doing it all wrong, this is with almost every app not permitting background mode, this is backing out of apps etc.

Curiously I've found that disabling NFC and all those wonderful features everyone instantly suggests to turn off, actually makes no difference.... this phone has all that on, on both these days as I never change it.

Either there is a software bug and the OS is leaving processes running, or there is a bug that leaves hardware running or there is a hardware fault. On a lot of phones.

Personally I believe there is a software/firmware issue that needs a fix. In the meantime you can try and do or suggest anything you like, but believe me, you're wasting your time as I've tried it all.

Gambit11B

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
While people think they have wonderful suggestions about disabling this and doing that, the reality is that none of it makes a difference.

These two pictures are the same phone with the same apps with the same cellular network and location and usage and everything. Just a different day of the week...

View attachment 29282View attachment 29283

Yes, one looses less than 30% battery in 24 hours. The other is more typical and from the Peak Discharge rate, looses about the same in one of it's hours!

And before you start saying I'm doing it all wrong, this is with almost every app not permitting background mode, this is backing out of apps etc.

Curiously I've found that disabling NFC and all those wonderful features everyone instantly suggests to turn off, actually makes no difference.... this phone has all that on, on both these days as I never change it.

Either there is a software bug and the OS is leaving processes running, or there is a bug that leaves hardware running or there is a hardware fault. On a lot of phones.

Personally I believe there is a software/firmware issue that needs a fix. In the meantime you can try and do or suggest anything you like, but believe me, you're wasting your time as I've tried it all.

Finally!!! Someone with some sense, and able to approach this extremely sensitive topic with honesty.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Finally!!! Someone with some sense, and able to approach this extremely sensitive topic with honesty.

Gotta agree with the man. Just wish i could get a day with more than 10h though. Today only lasted 7h.

I trust you nokia/microsoft, huzza up with an update!!

Also, what app is that in the screenshots if you dont mind me asking?

Gambit11B

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
BTW: After checking the HTC 8X section of the forum, I noticed hardly any mention of battery issues..... meaning this is a Nokia issue, not a MS issue (hardware vs software).

I love WP8, and I am seriously considering trading my L920 for an 8X..... or even a Z10 (yeah, I said it).

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
BTW: After checking the HTC 8X section of the forum, I noticed hardly any mention of battery issues..... meaning this is a Nokia issue, not a MS issue (hardware vs software).

I love WP8, and I am seriously considering trading my L920 for an 8X..... or even a Z10 (yeah, I said it).

If you don't like battery issues, you might want to do a search on Z10 battery issues first. Or prepare to spend $50 on a battery charger bundle to go with it.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I can make a full day easily too, but not 2 full days ... well, just ordinary cp use, facebook chatting (online all the time) and I can lissen hours Nokia Music online too (not only offline music) and no problem at all ... however, I can not lissen all online music apps like that, specially some internet radios eats battery very fast ...

doubledeej

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I have had some issues with the battery life on my 920 (AT&T). While it generally will get through a day without a problem and a respectable amount of charge left, probably about twice a month the phone gets into some weird mode where it starts to drain the battery very quickly and the charge is gone within about a half hour. No apps (other than what normally run in the background to keep my live tiles and email up-to-date) are running when it does it. I can usually tell because it gets unusually warm in my pocket, but by that point the battery is nearly dead. Fortunately it charges pretty quickly if I can get to an outlet or USB battery pack. But the situation makes me a little nervous because I just can't ever be 100% sure that the problem won't kick in at the worst possible time and I have no idea what triggers it.

I've had far better luck with my HTC 8X (T-Mo), though. Even with moderate use I can easily go three days between charges. I have pushed it out to 5 days, but by the middle of the 4th day the battery saver feature has kicked in so my email doesn't get updated automatically. On a typical day I only see about 15-20% reduction in battery charge from 8 AM to 10 PM. I have been really impressed with the battery life of this phone. Of the many smartphones I have owned over the last decade, this one has easily been the most miserly in its battery consumption.

I have essentially the same software running on both phones, so I don't think I can blame the battery issues on the 920 on any of my apps. Certainly the live tile and account (email, Facebook, Twitter) configurations on the two phones are identical. If anything I have fewer apps doing updates in the background on the 920. I can't blame signal strength either, as I have an AT&T Microcell just a few feet away when I'm at home, and there is an AT&T tower across the parking lot at work.

Gambit11B

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
If you don't like battery issues, you might want to do a search on Z10 battery issues first. Or prepare to spend $50 on a battery charger bundle to go with it.

I am fully aware of the Z10..... BB batteries are removable, and replaceable. However, my 920's battery is garbage, and not replaceable.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 29282View attachment 29283

What Battery app that you used to view that graph?

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I am fully aware of the Z10..... BB batteries are removable, and replaceable. However, my 920's battery is garbage, and not replaceable.

Nokia Universal Portable USB Charger (or any other brand one) - suitable for all devices (better as an extra battery, as an extra battery usually limited only for a certain cp)

Nokia Universal Portable USB Charger DC-16 - Nokia - India

Of course, it is not a solution for a bad battery ... then a battery should be changed ...

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Would you consider a battery usage of 5-6% per hour normal, when phone is in standby mode and has 3g on (4 bars of network strength)?

The phone just sits on the table, no usage. Weather band battery apps enabled in background, skype and im+ enabled with toast and notifications.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077