Where the hec is the 32gig model?

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok I really wanted the 32 gig model but had to get the 16 gig model instead. Had I known about the massive Other storage issue, I would have considered the 32 gig Lumina 920. Let me explain.

I am not a big music hoarder. My 16 gig memory card just has over 5 gigs of media and that is about enough for me. Majority of my photos are on the cloud. So what's the problem? I have a ton of apps but the 6.15 gigs other storage is taking up space. I only have around 1 gig or remaining phone storage. This means there is not much room to play with.

On my Samsung Ativ S:
5.08 gb apps
6.14 gb other
2.12 gb system
free space 1.34 gb
(excluding 5.50 gb media on SD card)

Had I had all this on a 32 gig Nokia Lumina 920, I would have had more phone storage for apps and data:
5.08 gb apps
6.14 gb other
2.12 gb system
5.50 gb media
free space around 13 gig (based on 29 available storage).

Clearly 13 gig is way better than 1.34 gig. I have a lot of unused space on my SD card which could have gone towards phone storage and apps on my 32 gig Ativ S/Lumia 920.

As soon as 32gig model is out am selling my 16gig and upgrading.

This whole Other storage is the culprit. God knows what 8 gig owners are going through.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Just ignore the "Other" part in the phone, and use the phone, because MS just enjoy utilizing the storage space in the phone, when you install apps or put photos, music videos in it, the system will release spaces from "Other", as a result I would say don't worry about this issue.

Since MS utilizes the free space well, the free space you estimate in Nokia Lumia 920 might not be as many as 13GB, it would be a lot fewer than you anticipate.

locoworks

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Too bad we can't use are 32GB/64GB micoSD cards for apps! Like "WM6.5" did!! Then I would not have a problem only having 16GB total maximum limit ATIV S ��

agreed, you can't store documents on the SD card either. at the end of the day microtoss is wanting people to switch to storing things on the cloud and charging a subscription for the privilage. the new softwares are steering people that way. but as the US government and anybody else with access can look at all your documents etc etc, i think the cloud has a good chance of raining on peoples privacy. it is just a buffet for hackers and big brother.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering how much control we actually had on WP8 and SD card without a file manager. On RT, I have set up my paths for all media/docs to my SD card. I don't have SD on 920 but I didn't see how it was possible to adjust storage locations. Another option BB, with its antiquated OS, has had forever. I know on my 920 I have synced files from computer to my docs folder and phone doesn't even recognize them. I have to pull from Skydrive. The whole storage thing on RT and WP8 royally sucks. RT was a nightmare to get setup and you can't on Wp8.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just ignore the "Other" part in the phone, and use the phone, because MS just enjoy utilizing the storage space in the phone, when you install apps or put photos, music videos in it, the system will release spaces from "Other", as a result I would say don't worry about this issue.

Since MS utilizes the free space well, the free space you estimate in Nokia Lumia 920 might not be as many as 13GB, it would be a lot fewer than you anticipate.

Then why don't just they just set it so you have no free space (everything not used is reserved in Other) but then Microsoft smart-manages that storage as apps etc get installed? Hate to say it, but I aren't buying this whole MS utilising the free space well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo