Planning to upgrade to a Lumia 920

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been a long time WP user (ever since the Trophy > Titan > Lumia 800), and now seeing WP8 in the picture, I wanna know if it's worth upgrading to a Lumia 920 from 800. From my perspective, if I upgrade there will be major improvement on hardware, but software-wise, I'm kinda worried. This list from another thread shows key differences against WP8 and WP7.

Here's my take:

No high contrast in settings - Who uses this?
No Kids Corner - Don't have kids
No groups - Actually WP7 doesn't have Rooms, but can anyone please elaborate what does this do?
No Screen Shots - I'm dev-unlocked, no worries
No battery level apps - I'm dev-unlocked, no worries
No rooms ;) - Already explained myself
Bluetooth file transfer - Coming soon? Nokia only
USB mass storage - I'm ok with Zune
lockscreen notifications - I don't understand what this means but I guess that means widgets? You know the one with weather and all.
Data sense - Only supported by couple carriers in US, but Counters does the job
offline maps - Nokia Drive
persistent Wifi - I'm actually ok with the WiFi turning off
Camera lenses - I find this redundant, this is just like showing apps that uses the camera

So with all these, I'm not so sure if I'd be getting an actual major upgrade. I really want to get a Lumia 920, but these are just holding me back from buying it. It's like owning a Nintendo DSi and then buying a Nintendo 3DS XL, but still playing with the same games, and a few with the bells and whistles :/

Another thing is, I also want to get a Surface RT, but the lack of desktop app support keeps me from buying it (I'm a student majoring in comp sci software dev).

So yeah, I wanna know what you guys think, or any suggestions, or your thoughts about the future of WP8 software and hardware.

Puppies.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The key major differences between the two are WP8 supports multicore processors and SD cards, whereas WP7 does not. However, the 920 doesn't have an SD card slot so it's a redundant feature for that particular model.
Just to pick up on a couple of your points. Lock screen notifications are little icons on the bottom of the lock screen to notify you of SMS, emails, missed calls etc.
Rooms are private areas set up for social networking between you and whoever you invite to share the room with.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Considered the hardware? Puremotion HD, Pureview, OIS, Hypersensitive touch screen etc? That is what you get with the upgrade too. Software wise, there won't be further development on WP7 and most apps aren't updating for WP7. New apps are launching only on WP8. If app scenario on Surface RT bugs you so much, how have you not considered you app position in 2-3 months time on WP7?

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
WP have had notification icons since the beginning.

I have considered the hardware, they're top of the line and really nice, but it's really the software I'm cautious about. I haven't thought about the app scenario because all is fine on WP7, not to mention most apps are still available on both platforms, for now. Even if I did upgrade, I'd still be using the same apps, except for Viber, and last I heard, games that won't work with WP8 (which I have like 50% of my apps).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster