Will a firmware flash of a Lumia 620 unlock the phone?

wawilkinson

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I have a Lumia 620 bought on the O2 PAYG deal although I'd like to use it on Vodafone. I've requested an unlock code from O2 (by using my wife's Pay Monthly credentials). I need to wait 7 days to see if this definitely comes through but I'd also like to know if a firmware flash using the 'Nokia Care Suite' would unlock the phone i.e. if I utilised the following firmware: 059R4F2 - RM-846 VAR EU EURO1 GB VODAFONE, could I simply then pop in a Vodafone SIM and off I go??

If the firmware update does also unlock, is there a better generic fw to utilise i.e. the one that would ship on Carphone Warehouse phones?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ganondolf

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
No I dont think so. although i have not tested changing a firmware with a nokia phone. I have done it in the past with sony and htc and it does not work.

The sim lock protection is separate to the firmware.

wawilkinson

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok, by that same token - IF I do receive an official unlock code from O2, should the phone remain unlocked if I do decide to change the firmware for generic branding?

mattpat

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Indeed, I successfully unlocked mine with a code from O2 (after lending the phone to my partner for a few days who has O2 contract so that I could obtain the code for free). I then I flashed it with the more generic CV GB ROM to get rid of all the O2 crap, and I didn't have to re-enter such code after doing so, remained unlocked. Woop!

wawilkinson

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Indeed, I successfully unlocked mine with a code from O2 (after lending the phone to my partner for a few days who has O2 contract so that I could obtain the code for free). I then I flashed it with the more generic CV GB ROM to get rid of all the O2 crap, and I didn't have to re-enter such code after doing so, remained unlocked. Woop!

Great feedback 'mattpat' and exactly the sort of knowledge I was looking for...have you got the firmware code/description?
Was it: '059R4F2 - RM_846_CV_GB_VAR266989_v2_confml_Default' or similar?

Thanks!

mattpat

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Great feedback 'mattpat' and exactly the sort of knowledge I was looking for...have you got the firmware code/description?
Was it: '059R4F2 - RM_846_CV_GB_VAR266989_v2_confml_Default' or similar?

Thanks!

Yes, exactly that revision [edit: I mean no, not that revision!] My phone is product code 059R788 (O2 simlock), but I flashed it with firmware for product code 059R4G7, which I think is the code that would be given on a generic phone bought offline in the UK. The latest firmware that I could see on NaviFirm for this product is the one you quoted and the one I used:

1030.5603.1304.2 CV GB VAR266989_v2_confml_Default (059R4G7)

I had to hit 'clear local cache' on navifirm for it to show up the new lines.

Also note, I suggest using the special version 2012.45.4.5 of the Nokia Care Suite for the update. I tried a 2013 revision and found that it disallowed 'downgrading' to an older firmware revision (which I needed to do after I'd been messing with Vodafone firmware!), as well as having some other restrictions. It also took me a while to work out that I had to hold down the volume up key after the usual power/volume-down reset in order to get the phone into flash mode. You probably know all this but perhaps worth saying for the benefit of others.

Last edited:

wawilkinson

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes, exactly that revision. My phone is product code 059R788 (O2 simlock), but I flashed it with firmware for product code 059R4G7, which I think is the code that would be given on a generic phone bought offline in the UK. The latest firmware that I could see on NaviFirm for this product is the one you quoted and the one I used:

1030.5603.1304.2 CV GB VAR266989_v2_confml_Default (059R4G7)

I had to hit 'clear local cache' on navifirm for it to show up the new lines.

Also note, I suggest using the special version 2012.45.4.5 of the Nokia Care Suite for the update. I tried a 2013 revision and found that it disallowed 'downgrading' to an older firmware revision (which I needed to do after I'd been messing with Vodafone firmware!), as well as having some other restrictions. It also took me a while to work out that I had to hold down the volume up key after the usual power/volume-down reset in order to get the phone into flash mode. You probably know all this but perhaps worth saying for the benefit of others.

Thanks, still a little confused as you mentioned you flashed with the same firmware I stated (059R4F2) but then listed another (059R4G7)...??

I've received my unlock code - they quoted up to 10 days and in reality it took about 3 days - and the phone is now unlocked and working on Vodafone!

I will flash the firmware to a generic one, but just want to be sure I get the right one and moreover, don't brick the phone!! I am using the version of the Nokia Care Suite you mentioned (2012.45.4.5) and I take it that you also get a child like drawing of the phone when you select RM-846, rather than an actual image of the Lumia 620??

wawilkinson

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Sorry...just realised I copied the wrong firmware code for that description...I copied the Vodafone code (059R4F2), whereas the generic version is 059R4G7...!! ;-)

wawilkinson

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Update - Just flashed my O2 Lumia 620 and now I have a fully unlocked, generically branded Nokia Lumia 620..!!

Hadn't flashed a Nokia phone for a very long time...very easy and very quick!!

Windows Phone backup saved my settings and restored them perfectly too!!

nogsx3

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've unlocked my 02 Lumia 620, got NCS special edition 2012.45.4.5 and download firmware "059R4G7"

Can you advise how to flash this version of firmware ? I can options in NCS I'm new to Windows Mobile and don't want to brick the phone so a little advise please. I've seen guides online for other Nokai Lumia but they aren't clear and might not apply to the 620. TIA

wawilkinson

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I've unlocked my 02 Lumia 620, got NCS special edition 2012.45.4.5 and download firmware "059R4G7"

Can you advise how to flash this version of firmware ? I can options in NCS I'm new to Windows Mobile and don't want to brick the phone so a little advise please. I've seen guides online for other Nokai Lumia but they aren't clear and might not apply to the 620. TIA

Just follow this 'tutorial' but substitute the Lumia 920 (RM-821) with Lumia 620 (RM-846);

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...co-update-global-lumia-920-clean-install.html

You can use the visual instructions here;

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a03ced350c02e707&id=A03CED350C02E707!1740

As ever - you flash firmwares etc entirely at your own risk!!

mattpat

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I found the video on the following tutorial to be a good one, as the flash process for the 620 is near identical and it also shows the timing of putting the phone in flash mode while clicking on 'recovery' etc, which worked for me...

Tip: How to fix a bricked Nokia Lumia 920 | Windows Phone Central

> wawilkinson, yes, the 620 comes up with a child-like drawing of a phone on that 2012.45.4.5 version of the suite (clearly didn't know what it looked like at the time!). And yeah sorry about the revision confusion earlier, it's certainly 059R4G7 that you want. I'd actually also tried the Vodafone one you mentioned in a failed attempt to get my sim to work in it before I went through the proper method of getting in sim-unlocked!

Petr Duda

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new user W8 and I want unlock my Lumia 620 from O2. I got fw GB VAR266989_v2_confml_Default (059R4G7) to my phone and now I haven't any software from O2 etc. But when I put Orange SIM Card, so phone say: "This SIM card can only be used on specific networks. Contact your customer service centre for the unlock code." and I have to add PIN.

So where is problem? Can you help me please? Thank you.

iainmann

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new user W8 and I want unlock my Lumia 620 from O2. I got fw GB VAR266989_v2_confml_Default (059R4G7) to my phone and now I haven't any software from O2 etc. But when I put Orange SIM Card, so phone say: "This SIM card can only be used on specific networks. Contact your customer service centre for the unlock code." and I have to add PIN.

So where is problem? Can you help me please? Thank you.

I'm afraid debranding your phone...flashing it with unbranded software...won't network unlock it.

wawilkinson

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Correct, you need to unlock the phone whether you change the firmware or not...
If you have a good friend on an O2 account you can try and use their details, but you will need security details etc, otherwise it's a case of using a 3rd party but when I looked at this I found they either couldn't do it at all - presumably because the phone is so new - or they would charge a lot...!!

scruffty

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I have edited my previous post - I have got a bit further now after a reboot of the PC...
I have another query if someone could help please? am in boot loader mode with the O2 splash screen and I have the message:
Recovery:
"You have chosen not assigned product code for this device. do you wish to continue"
Do I?!
Thank you

Last edited:

mattpat

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Recovery:
"You have chosen not assigned product code for this device. do you wish to continue"
Do I?!
Thank you

Yep :) It's just applying a check to ensure the device's product code (written under battery) matches the firmware you're putting on it, which it won't because a 620 on O2 have their own code that differs from the product code of generic offline phones. So long as it's 620 firmware then you should be fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)