Anyone else getting annoyed that apps come out as "Lumia" exclusives?

sniffs

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting annoyed by the fact that when apps are coming out for WP, they are timed Nokia exclusives. This isn't making me want to leave my 8X for a Lumia.. it's making me want to leave the entire platform.

Nokia needs to stop buying exclusives, it's getting annoying and it's hurting the platform in general. Exclusives for an entire platform is one thing (360/Ps3), but exclusive apps between phone manufacturers is just out of control.

The last thing WP needs are apps being held hostage by dumb crap like this..

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is doing what they need to do to sell phones. IF HTC would do the same and also start supporting app developers maybe things would move along a bit faster. You'r barking up the wrong tree and instead should be talking to HTC about why they only seem interested in WP for the purpose of borrowing from it to differentiate in the Android market.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting really annoyed about this knot in me knickers..

As for the apps. Its referred to as "value-added". Of course HTC knows nothing of that do they?

nbktonic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting annoyed by the fact that when apps are coming out for WP, they are timed Nokia exclusives. This isn't making me want to leave my 8X for a Lumia.. it's making me want to leave the entire platform.

Nokia needs to stop buying exclusives, it's getting annoying and it's hurting the platform in general. Exclusives for an entire platform is one thing (360/Ps3), but exclusive apps between phone manufacturers is just out of control.

The last thing WP needs are apps being held hostage by dumb crap like this..

I own a Lumia 920 and I got to agree with him. One has to look at the platform and phone manufacturers betting on the platform as a holistic ecosystem. Creating exclusives just for one manufacturer and binding it to them leaving the others out is a shame. Everybody has to work together for the benefit of all. So if HTC gets no apps, Samsung gets no apps and they all come out to be Nokia exclusives, all that will live on is Nokia and WP8/9/10..or whatever. Seriously, empathize and tell me do we need that to happen?

sniffs

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Apps are what make or break a platform.. and if Nokia keeps buying exclusives, less people are likely to buy HTC or Samsung phones.. while good for Nokia, it's bad for Windows Phone as a whole.

Think about some guy/girl that buys an HTC phone, see's it doesn't have "Zuma" or "Words With Friends" and leaves for an Android phone/iPhone.. not realizing it's available for WP, just that a specific manufacturer bought exclusivity.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
yup but I don't blame Nokia rather give them credit for putting more effort in the OS than MS. MS should just sign a deal with nokia and have Nokia run as it's mobile division.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe if a Facebook-authored Facebook app that works properly or Instagram or G+ or Google Maps or Citibank or HBO Go or Dropbox or Flipboard or, or, or, or... came out as Lumia-only, then sure - that would suck a lot and hurt the platform. But Bejeweled? Is that the one killer app you can't live another two months without?

sniffs

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Maybe if a Facebook-authored Facebook app that works properly or Instagram or G+ or Google Maps or Citibank or HBO Go or Dropbox or Flipboard or, or, or, or... came out as Lumia-only, then sure - that would suck a lot and hurt the platform. But Bejeweled? Is that the one killer app you can't live another two months without?

Who's to say that Nokia wouldn't buy exclusivity for some of those apps? I would say Words With Friends could be a big user puller, same with Instagram, Pinterest, etc..

I bet people who work as sales reps inside carrier stores get a ton of questions on whether or not a specific app is available on the phone they are buying, and if it's not, they look to alternatives.

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The unjustified default moan about Windows Phone is the size of the app marketplace in comparison to iOS and Android.
As a Windows Phone fan, I don't think all these Nokia exclusives are a good thing.
As a person yet to upgrade from WP7.5 these app exclusives aren't enough to convince me to buy a Lumia.

Quite glad I haven't committed yet, after reading the specs of the HTC One I'm now hoping they release something similar for WP8 as the 920 is just too heavy for my taste.

Huw Watkins

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
If nokia is giving money to these developers to bring apps to the platform that otherwise would not have come I don't see the problem here.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Not so far, other than with Nokia Drive, which has now moved out of exclusivity. The apps and games that are exclusives now are largely not of sufficient standard to warrant any jealousy, although it does make me wonder why HTC are not doing anything, even releasing their existing apps for Windows phone 8.

The Lumias themselves are enough to put me off them. The 920 is the worst Windows Phone 8 device there is. The phone is too big and too heavy and the device is so unstable compared to the 8X. We've got three at work and the Mrs has one at home and they freeze all the time, even with the latest updates. I've, touch wood, never had the 8X freeze on me.

I just hope HTC continue to support Windows phone as I can't see myself buying a Nokia unless they improve a lot.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Being the owner of an 8X after selling my 820, I think it's a good thing. You support Nokia, they thank you by pulling in exclusives.

So, no, I'm not pissed.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Who's to say that Nokia wouldn't buy exclusivity for some of those apps? I would say Words With Friends could be a big user puller, same with Instagram, Pinterest, etc..

I bet people who work as sales reps inside carrier stores get a ton of questions on whether or not a specific app is available on the phone they are buying, and if it's not, they look to alternatives.

If that gets these companies to actually produce the apps for WP8, it'll be worth it. My guess is that a social network wouldn't want exclusivity since they thrive on number of users.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Lumias themselves are enough to put me off them. The 920 is the worst Windows Phone 8 device there is. The phone is too big and too heavy and the device is so unstable compared to the 8X. We've got three at work and the Mrs has one at home and they freeze all the time, even with the latest updates. I've, touch wood, never had the 8X freeze on me.

I've had mine since launch day and it has never frozen. I like the size and weight and it's been nothing but stable. Therefore it's the best Windows Phone 8 device there is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb