Anyone else getting annoyed that apps come out as "Lumia" exclusives?

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
What? Nokia have their own factories. Of course they make subcontracting in Foxxcon, mutta you could say that Nokia owns its factories. When transitioning to Lumia, they used Compal, but what I have understood, all WP8 phones comes from Nokian owned factories. Smartphones are made in China, South Korea and Mexico (and one plant in brazil I think?). Feature phones are made in hungary, china and india and new plant should open in Vietnam withing weeks (or months). Vietnam factory should push tens of millions phones /Quarter.

Production facilities - Nokia

They shut down their own Finnish factories on native soil. Not cool. That's where they BUILT their reputation in the first place.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
What has HTC done for the platform as a whole lately, OP? Why should Nokia give out their time and money in the form of these apps to those that do nothing? HTC has done NOTHING for WP and has only used it as another tree to sell phones.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my 920 doesn't freeze either.

Nokia is not liked by all. This exclusive crap is not helping WP. That means that there are less sales for WP. You have no idea how many times I was told that holding a Nokia product in your hand is like holding some cheap Ikea product.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I think it may have something to do with tax which is higher in European countries so they tend to build in 3rd world countries or progressing countries.

They shut down their own Finnish factories on native soil. Not cool. That's where they BUILT their reputation in the first place.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I think it may have something to do with tax which is higher in European countries so they tend to build in 3rd world countries or progressing countries.

That's a nice way of saying they're willing to abandon home soil so they can hire cheap labour. American car companies do this too but they still keep their American plants. If they didn't there'd be an uproar, and people would stop "buying American". Do Nokia deserve any less? I personally wouldn't trust a company that operates that way with my business, and I'm not Finnish.

Marcos Hidalgo

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Only thing that annoys me about Nokia is that the 920 is only on ATT, I got the 8X purely based on that.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
That's a nice way of saying they're willing to abandon home soil so they can hire cheap labour. A cop out.

You know that they are loosing millions/billions of euros annually, its the right thing to do so that they will survive.

@ WasteSomeTime
That means that there are less sales for WP.

Less sales for other OEM because they dont put efforts, better sales for nokia for their hardwork.

You have no idea how many times I was told that holding a Nokia product in your hand is like holding some cheap Ikea product.

Everyone has their own preference if they dont like it no one is forcing them to buy.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site

I am from Finland so don't tell me about that. It was shame that Nokia did what it did, but then again, it didn't make too much sense to have that factory in Finland.

But your point being that Nokia don't manufacture their own phones is not valid.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Less sales for other OEM because they dont put efforts

There you go again with that? If your mouse has a scroll wheel try using it in an upward direction. You're wrong about that.

By your logic if Samsung who also makes TVs focused on them more aggressively than their phones, they're not putting any effort into their other products.

HTCs main income is currently in Android. From a business sense they'd be idiots not to push it harder. That's a LOT different than "doing nothing"

Geez. :rolleyes:

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
HTCs main income is currently in Android. From a business sense they'd be idiots not to push it harder. That's a LOT different than "doing nothing"

You just said it, they're not pushing it hard!

Now everybody can stop whining if Nokia is pushing it hard and having exclusive apps.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
You just said it, they're not pushing it hard!

Now everybody can stop whining if Nokia is pushing it hard and having exclusive apps.

I can't say it any better than this

hA54D1359

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
@ Ominusovermind: You are talking about many things without putting them clearly

1. Talking about manufacture on Home soil: Does Apple do it? They are still talking about doing it. Apple phones are designed in California whereas Nokia does most of their R&D in Finland. In fact Damian left Nokia because they moved important functions to Finland and he couldn't relocate. Moreover, this is a global world. And the only way you can sustain is by being cost efficient. Nokia does lot of R&D across 5 continents. In fact they are technology partners for various social causes run by World Bank, IFC in Africa and Asia...

2. Outsourcing in manufacturing is a common business phenomenon. Every organization sources their products from different suppliers and assemble them. The QA issues of WP8 are not all from Nokia. There are many problems we are listening on the forums common to both Lumias and 8X's. Most of these bugs are to be fixed by MS

3. Yeah we are waiting for HTC to launch their products too... This summer? Good... But let them fix their Android mess before they get into WP :p I can categorically say that Nokia brought so many of its customers to WP8 because of its adoption.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Pushing their new phones, not doing anything for WP8 as a whole.

That's a nice way of saying they're willing to abandon home soil so they can hire cheap labour. American car companies do this too but they still keep their American plants. If they didn't there'd be an uproar, and people would stop "buying American". Do Nokia deserve any less? I personally wouldn't trust a company that operates that way with my business, and I'm not Finnish.

Which cell phone company doesn't use this labor? Please tell me so I can take the moral high ground like you seem to be doing and buy from them.

I guess I better not tell you that HTC has higher spec phones on the way for wp8 in a couple months then.... :p

Along with Nokia. There is the MWC dude…

Please tell me what HTC has done for the platform.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Nokia doesn't intercept apps that were being made for everyone and stop them from going to HTC and Samsung. They pay developers to hurry and make a WP app, and after an exclusivity phase that they deserve to get some advantage from their investment, they release it to everyone. The time it would have taken the app developer to make the app without Nokia's intervention could be a year or two, or they might never have done it. So even if you don't get the app when the Lumia users do, you are still getting it sooner, all thanks to Nokia to whom you didn't pay a cent. You should be grateful, not angry. It's like being angry at your friend who freely gives you his used Xbox games after he beats them, because he got to play them first.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting annoyed by the fact that when apps are coming out for WP, they are timed Nokia exclusives. This isn't making me want to leave my 8X for a Lumia.. it's making me want to leave the entire platform.

Nokia needs to stop buying exclusives, it's getting annoying and it's hurting the platform in general. Exclusives for an entire platform is one thing (360/Ps3), but exclusive apps between phone manufacturers is just out of control.

The last thing WP needs are apps being held hostage by dumb crap like this..

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
If some of these posts are any indication some Nokia owners are starting to sound like Samsung Android owners, and I don't mean that in a good way :p

Last edited:

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm not annoyed at all...though that's probably because I have an 820 and not an 8x.

The difference is, unlike HTC, Nokia's bet everything they have on WP8 - there *is* no plan B. So they need to do everything they possibly could to make sure Lumia phones sell. Exclusive apps are a big part of that strategy if this thread is any proof, it seems to be working.

HTC on the other hand (much like Samsung) already have a ton of great Android phones, and their flagships are selling pretty nicely. They have a couple of WP8 phones probably just to see how that thing works out, so from a purely strategic point of view they probably don't have much to justify a huge investment into WP exclusive deals.

It's kind of a vicious circle because if they *did* invest into WP, they could probably better its market share, which in turn could encourage them to go further (and maybe even rope in other manufacturers like Sony who make great phones but only with Android)

But to blame Nokia I think is wrong, because this isn't their fault..

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why a couple of people keep saying HTC didn't "invest" in WP8. Why, because they aren't going out of their way to create HTC-only proprietary apps but were still willing to get on board and make a couple of very nice phones that's not good enough for some of you? Heck, the CEO even stated in interviews that they will continue to support WP8 after the 8x. Announcing a 2013 lineup that will have even better specs and who knows what else isn't good enough either I suppose? How about you hire and delegate a large team of engineers like they did and build one then if that's the case. What a colossal sense of entitlement.

Luckily I'm realistic enough to know that you 2-3 people in this thread who feel that way represent 0.00000001% of WP8 users and an even smaller proportion of smartphone users.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)