Battery still draining in battery saver mode

87ninefiveone

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi, first post to the forums, but I?ve been lurking for a couple months in the 920 and WP8 sections.

I?ve got what I consider a pretty major issue with battery life on my 920. I came from an iPhone 4 which pretty handily netted me about two days of use between charges when new and eventually as battery life declined over the two year contract got to the point where I had to charge it every night (maybe 10-20% charge left at the end of the day). I?ve had the 920 since late November and originally I was never able to get more than a day?s use out of it before it would tank. I did some research of the forums and turned off all of the ancillary stuff which typically was enough to get me through the day in most cases. That said I began to get frequent battery drains where I would lose 10-20% battery power every hour (according to Battery Sense App). I use my phone as an alarm and one week it crapped out on me twice during the night over the course of about six hours (80-90% battery to dead). I thought that was ridiculous so I called AT&T and they exchanged my phone for a like new one back in mid-January?

Unfortunately, the new phone has never really been any better either. Random quick battery drains were random at first but are now becoming increasingly frequent. I have all unused apps closed at all times when on standby, I only use one IE tab, I keep my phone on battery saver mode at all times, I don?t have Skype installed, I don?t have any GPS apps running, and signal strength as I sit in my office registers between 2-4 bars on the AT&T LTE network, and yet for some reason my battery life is still tanking at >10% per hour while the phone is just sitting unused.

I like my phone, it looks nice, it has an amazing screen, and the camera is generally pretty good, but it?s supposed to be a mobile device. If I wanted something that was permanently tethered to a wall outlet I would have a landline instead. I?m stuck with the thing for the next 21 months until my contract is up, but unless some significant software improvements are made to help with battery life I seriously doubt I?ll ever get another WP or Nokia device.

End ranting?..

So, my question to the community is how many of you have resorted to running in battery saver mode at all times just to make it through a normal day?s use with your phone, and of those running battery saver mode who still has issues with battery drain?

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi, first post to the forums, but I’ve been lurking for a couple months in the 920 and WP8 sections.

I’ve got what I consider a pretty major issue with battery life on my 920. I came from an iPhone 4 which pretty handily netted me about two days of use between charges when new and eventually as battery life declined over the two year contract got to the point where I had to charge it every night (maybe 10-20% charge left at the end of the day). I’ve had the 920 since late November and originally I was never able to get more than a day’s use out of it before it would tank. I did some research of the forums and turned off all of the ancillary stuff which typically was enough to get me through the day in most cases. That said I began to get frequent battery drains where I would lose 10-20% battery power every hour (according to Battery Sense App). I use my phone as an alarm and one week it crapped out on me twice during the night over the course of about six hours (80-90% battery to dead). I thought that was ridiculous so I called AT&T and they exchanged my phone for a like new one back in mid-January…

Unfortunately, the new phone has never really been any better either. Random quick battery drains were random at first but are now becoming increasingly frequent. I have all unused apps closed at all times when on standby, I only use one IE tab, I keep my phone on battery saver mode at all times, I don’t have Skype installed, I don’t have any GPS apps running, and signal strength as I sit in my office registers between 2-4 bars on the AT&T LTE network, and yet for some reason my battery life is still tanking at >10% per hour while the phone is just sitting unused.

I like my phone, it looks nice, it has an amazing screen, and the camera is generally pretty good, but it’s supposed to be a mobile device. If I wanted something that was permanently tethered to a wall outlet I would have a landline instead. I’m stuck with the thing for the next 21 months until my contract is up, but unless some significant software improvements are made to help with battery life I seriously doubt I’ll ever get another WP or Nokia device.

End ranting…..

So, my question to the community is how many of you have resorted to running in battery saver mode at all times just to make it through a normal day’s use with your phone, and of those running battery saver mode who still has issues with battery drain?

I doubt its the phone. It's most likely an app that you've installed that doesn't close properly, or runs in the background. Factory reset your phone, set it up with nothing more than the default apps, set up your email and let it sit there and you'll most likely find that it drains 1-2% per hour, if that.

One bad battery is possible, but highly unilikely that you got a replacement that has a bad battery.

Remember, these stopped being "phones" a long time ago. They are hand held computers that make phone calls. They will not get lengthy battery life like phones of years past.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Remember, these stopped being "phones" a long time ago. They are hand held computers that make phone calls. They will not get lengthy battery life like phones of years past.

If that's the case then Nokia had better revise their specification page:

Maximum 3G talk time: 10.8h
Maximum 3G standby time: 460h
Music playback time: 74h

74 hours is 3 days of playing music on this "phone". I would love for that to be the case.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Before you do a factory reset, just perform soft reset. You probably have an app with a process hung up. 4S was 3g with smaller screen. On LTE with larger screen, you will never get better than 3-4%/hr. Just isn't possible. If you haven't already, remove Gmail email, disable Xbox game connect, uninstall Skype and Drive. Whatsapp is another I've heard has issues. 12-16 hrs is probably going to be par for 920. The people who get 2-3 days are on 3g/2g or have data turned off. LTE antenna and screen are battery killers. I have just about everything turned off and 3-4% is as good as it gets. IF, your situation doesn't improve, fully charge phone and do a factory reset. I went from 7-10% to 3-4% overnight with factory reset. But it was a beating to start over.

Jonathan Ford

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been having problems where my 920 is fully charged at night but goes down to 0-20% by morning seemingly randomly. Most nights it does not go down at all and I am having difficulty troubleshooting what the difference is. Are there apps that show you exactly what is running in the background?

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Its the phone or OS. I have no apps running and I still see this.
I use my 920 to talk, do a few text's, and take a few picts during the day. Rarely ever use the data connection . Some days I get almost 3 days, others 8 hours. I'm and engineer and troubleshoot complex systems all of time, I know what I'm doing and know what to look for; this seems to be totally random.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital