Why Lumia 920 cannot figure out it's not in a river in Glen Echo

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
We know it's an ATT issue, but why windows phone or Lumia cannot figure out it's not in Glen Echo? They put a GPS chip in it and I think after sometime the phone should be able to figure out its location. iPhone doesn't have this problem.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
The glen echo issue only seems to happen to me when I am in an area with no GPS reception for a while and it doesn't always happen. Maybe 5% of the time I am at work.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No idea if it only happens recently. My old Focus S never had this issue either. It's very annoying
I had my 900 show that I was in Akron, OH even when I was in Cleveland, OH one time probably around May 2012. It was an AT&T bug.

Incidentally, I have not seen any issues with GPS location and Lumia Windows Phones (WP7 or WP8) on any network beside AT&T. VZW, T-Mobile, and other carriers in other countries don't have that bug, from what I've seen.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Glen Echo park, MD is 505 miles from my location, Akron isn't all that far from Cleveland. The GPS is much less accurate and more inconstant than it was on my 900.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm am getting absolutely *&^&^%( sick of this issue. Can't glance and go at Amazing Weather HD because it says i'm in Maryland....

I live in Orlando, Florida. 875 mile drive away..... No. Just.... No.

And i just got my 920 back from Nokia, so i know it's nothing to do with them.

WPKiva

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
My phone had this problem after installing Maluuba. I rebooted my phone, then turned location off and on and rebooted it again. It is now finding my correct location again. Not sure which step fixed it, but it works correctly now.

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got Maryland-ed today. At 14.09 today, my phone just died on me with battery about 50%. When I had to soft-reset it, live tiles weren't updating and I just noticed that my location reverted to Maryland and the maps doesn't identify my location.
And Here drive+ puts me right me in the middle of Potomac river.
Wi-fi turned off.
http://sdrv.ms/XGiZiH

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I have uninstalled all Nokia maps and weather apps. In fact all location apps are now uninstalled and that solved the problem.

I have given up on GPS on WP. Because even if it works it doesn't really work. Its inaccurate as can be. In fact I may have given up on WP. To bad there is no value in WP phones so I can't sell it and buy something else. 😓

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me a couple of times (Glen Echo). Once last Saturday morning and again on Sunday morning. I don't think it's the OS but AT&T. Anyway, I just let it be and both days it had fixed itself after a bit of time passed. Has been OK since.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up, but early last week (last monday or tuesday) i uninstalled a bunch of apps (mostly geolocation apps) that i really don't use often and disabled the "keep wifi on" setting. My phone hasn't had a freeze/unresponsive/appears-turned-off episode since.... or put me in the middle of that river in Glen Echo

Before it would happen at least every other day or up to twice a day with the freezing, or a few times a week with the Glen Echo thing...

Give it a try unchecking the "keep wifi on..." setting, and/or uninstalling a few location apps

The only apps i have in the background are:
Amazing Weather HD
Markets & Me +

and then while i'm driving i'll turn on:
HERE Drive+ Beta

Or when i'm running:
Runtastic PRO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member