Buzzing, distorted earpiece in my 920

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

The other day, I woke up and listened to a voicemail on my 920. To my surprise, the sound quality was noticeably buzzy and distorted. Prior to this it always sounded normal. I thought perhaps it was a bug, but it hasn't changed through multiple power cycles and phone calls. I haven't done a total reset because I'm skeptical that that will fix anything. Also, sound quality is normal in my Bluetooth headset and through the external speaker.

I'm thinking my earpiece is just dying, but wanted to check with you guys to verify that this isn't just a software bug. Thanks!

WP450

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the same exact problem. I called Nokia and they said they have not had any reports of this problem. They said to do a shut down/restart, if that didn't solve the problem then remove the SIM card and reseat it, if that does not fix it they said to do a factory reset. I haven't done the factory reset yet because it is obvious the ear piece is failing. I will have to call them again and send the phone in for repair. If the volume is set any higher than 6 the sound is distorted. I suggest you give them a call and let them know you are having the same problem.

Duncan Jones1

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, I am experiencing the exact same problem with my Lumia 920. A volume level above 5 on phone calls produces distortion in the ear piece, though there are no issues when using a headset or the speaker. At first AT&T wanted me to do a hard reset (I had already performed several soft resets), which I objected to because it was obvious to me that it wasn't a software issue, and I didn't want to spend several hours setting up my various email accounts, applications and other settings only to have to do that yet again with a replacement. I cited your posts to the representatives--so now it's a known problem--and am due to get a replacement from them this week without having to do a hard reset. It's a bit disappointing . . . but overall I guess these things happen, especially with first-batch phones. I still like the phone a lot, and hopefully there will be no further quality glitches.

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Glad to see this post and sorry and that same time. I'm also having this issue and believe I started to notice it a couple of weeks ago. I typically have to have the volume at at least 8 but at times would have it maxed at 10. Initially at 10 I never had any issues then noticed the buzzing/distortion that other have mentioned. I've tried to lower the volume and that seems to lesson it some but that's obvious because the volume level is turned down. I'll have to stop into an AT&T to see what they have to say.

Akt1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
This has started to happen with my 920. Same as already mentioned - seems fine with a headset, but without gives me very distorted and unclear: sound quality. I will get in touch with Vodafone (UK) to see what they will do.

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue. Earpiece seemed fine for a month or so, then noticeably "distorted" during calls, voicemail, etc.. I sent it in to Nokia Repair and received the phone back with "no issues found". Strangely, the problem was fixed after that ;)

Now...if I could figure out these nasty battery drain issues...

daelumia

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
ATT agreed to a warranty swap. No issues, except I discovered the text message backup setting on my phone was frozen (greyed out) in the "off" position, and no backup appears online. I don't want to return the phone unless I can retrieve my texts. Any ideas?

Akt1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
This has started to happen with my 920. Same as already mentioned - seems fine with a headset, but without gives me very distorted and unclear: sound quality. I will get in touch with Vodafone (UK) to see what they will do.

An update: Vodafone (UK) said that I would have to send the phone away for them to analyse. They seemed unaware of this problem being reported in general and suggested I did a full factory reset and try again, otherwise they would have to send it away to get looked at (upto a week)
I cannot afford to be without my phone for several days, so I took the phone to a Nokia service centre: they agreed the issue was definitely as I described and changed the earpiece receiver in the handset under the warranty conditions. However, the issue is still there - same distortion (but fine on speaker, headset etc.) . They said the next step would be to send it away to Nokia.....

perisdr

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. Its like the bass for the earpiece is very high. Lowering the volume of the earpiece makes it a little better but then its too low to hear the other person.. Its very annoying. I know a smartphone is used for so many thing but when you can;t do the most basic thing (talking to another person) it kind beats the whole purpose..

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I had previously returned 3 920's, all at different times, with the buzzy earpiece problem, they were all delivered new (one after the other) with the same problem, so Nokia must be well aware of this problem.

Xavier Axiak

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
I found this thread because my Asha 300 still has the same annoying rattling/buzzing from its earpiece even after being replaced twice. I can't trust any other Nokia model to not develop the same problem. We need a useful explanation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss