Jumping to Windows 8 from Apple

Fraser Robertson

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Well im looking at getting a Lumina 920 even after the announcements of the new phones today it seems that the Lumina 920 is the phone for me. Can someone tell me what the battery is like compared to an iphone 4 as I keep seeing negative press on this and wanted a user perspective instead. Really bored of Apple now and don't even bother with any of the new apps to be honest. Only one and don't hate me is instagram is the one I would like but can do without till and if it comes to the platform.

Anyway enough of my rambles! Look forward to hearing from you all

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Well im looking at getting a Lumina 920 even after the announcements of the new phones today it seems that the Lumina 920 is the phone for me. Can someone tell me what the battery is like compared to an iphone 4 as I keep seeing negative press on this and wanted a user perspective instead. Really bored of Apple now and don't even bother with any of the new apps to be honest. Only one and don't hate me is instagram is the one I would like but can do without till and if it comes to the platform.

pretty much on par, but slightly shorter from my experience.

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 4 is a joke, 920 beats it most places. Only place iPhone wins is in gaming, WP is not a gaming device. 920 blows iPhone away in camera, OS (biased), and the screen.

ot73nl

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Can someone tell me what the battery is like compared to an iphone 4 as I keep seeing negative press on this and wanted a user perspective instead. Really bored of Apple now and don't even bother with any of the new apps to be honest.

Hi,
I have iphone 5, have had iphone 2,3,4 etc. before and also bored with iOS, so I bought Lumia 920 ?3 weeks ago. It is a very nice phone, I like it very much. But... I do not understand how people can say that battery life on Lumia is nearly the same as on iPhone. In my experience it is so not true!

Really, I am an average user (e-mail, Facebook, internet, music, almost no games) and I can easy use iphone for 2 days without charging. At the end of the second day I still have 20-25% of battery left. With Lumia I am lucky if I have unplugged the phone at, say, 8AM and have 10% of battery left at 9PM.

I am sorry to say that, but If the battery life of your phone is important to you, than you will be disappointed with Lumia. IMHO, the Lumia's battery life is extremely bad compared to iPhone.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
When you get the phone take it through a few full battery cycles and on and off cycles.. Turn off the background operations of your apps that don't really need it.
We really like the phone, have two of them.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I have iphone 5, have had iphone 2,3,4 etc. before and also bored with iOS, so I bought Lumia 920 ?3 weeks ago. It is a very nice phone, I like it very much. But... I do not understand how people can say that battery life on Lumia is nearly the same as on iPhone. In my experience it is so not true!

Really, I am an average user (e-mail, Facebook, internet, music, almost no games) and I can easy use iphone for 2 days without charging. At the end of the second day I still have 20-25% of battery left. With Lumia I am lucky if I have unplugged the phone at, say, 8AM and have 10% of battery left at 9PM.

I am sorry to say that, but If the battery life of your phone is important to you, than you will be disappointed with Lumia. IMHO, the Lumia's battery life is extremely bad compared to iPhone.

I experience the opposite. My iPhone 4S could barely get through a day on a charge in my area (3G only, no LTE), where the Lumia 920 lasts two full days. When I'm in an LTE area, I get about one day. My normal usage is just checking email, FB sometimes, and a few texts and calls. When I'm using navigation, the battery drains much quicker. I've been on this forum since launch day of the 920, and battery life claims are all over the map. Sometimes there are hardware or software-related issues, and sometimes it's just the type of usage, but a properly-functioning 920 close to a tower on 3G should give you 2 days on 3G with light use.

edoug

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
But there's the rub. Iphone5 has an excellent battery, hours better than iPhone 4 and 4s. In order by battery life: iphone5, iphone4, (lumia920), iphone4s. Though the i4 and the n920 are close to tied (to me).

Maurice Heine

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Been using the 920 since it first came on the market. At first I was very disappointed with the battery life. Especially apps like WhatsApp burned throught the battery like crazy. After Portico and some app updates, I'm very satisfied. Woke up this morning after realizing I hadn't charged since the day before yesterday and my battery was still at 31%.
I still feel that WiFi isn't very energy efficient, especially with unstable connections, but in general, I'm very pleased with the performance now.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My brief experience with the iPhone 5(literally a day before it was returned), the battery was horrible. I Facebook, instagram, kik, took pics and played a few games and text and it lasted 3 hours.

My Lumia 920 under the same heavy usage can last up to 5-6.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Obviously this is pretty subjective. I have never had ANY smartphone that lasted two days (except Blackberry) and I am a moderate user although I may have a number of apps checking things in the background. Oh and I also tend to run my screen at 100% because it's just easier for my old pathetic eyes to see. There actually is an instagram app out there or at least something that works with it. The only problem (for me anyway) is that you have to already HAVE an acct. You can't create one from the app. How dumb. It's called WPGram if you're interested in checking it out. I won't get iPhone either, not because it isn't a good phone but because I would have (and have) absolutely died of boredom. I'm also not a big game player so my needs are VERY simple in that regard. You do get at least two weeks to try it out so why not jump in. You can always bring it back if you think iPhone is better for you. I do advise one thing though: Do NOT fall into that trap of constantly comparing it to the iPhone. They are like night and day. Just go in with an open mind and realize that some things will simply take getting used to. Some things will be worse and some things will be better. One BIG advantage I think: I don't have to jump thru nearly as many hoops when I have problems. With an iPhone, you have to always go thru Apple to get anything done. Much easier to just go thru the cell provider.

P.S. Make up your mind that with today's smart phone, if you really want to use it like it's intended and get everything out of it, you'll probably need to throw it on the charger during the day if you have long days. Just the way it is.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I have been using iPhone4 for 2 years, and about a month ago, I got myself a Lumia920.
Now about the battery life - if u are a heavy user, Lumia's battery won't satisfy u. What I mean is, I have been playing Radiant Defense, and the battery was dead in 4 hrs time. But on the other hand, with iPhone4, I needed the exact time to depleete the battery playing MetalStorm: Wingman.
On both phones I have the Location on, WiFi, 3G, push notifications, everything turned on. With around 1hr talktime/day, around 10-15 SMS, several email checking, and some light surf (app updates, new stuff in the market, some news reading), and ocassional chess game over the Internet I can take through to evening. IMHO, iPhone4 battery was a bit better optimised.
I wouldn't agree iOS is a joke, because with Jailbreak u get a whole new perspective, a whole new world opens. I miss several things from my iPhone: the number of apps in the AppStore (there have been some really neat apps like Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics, or CORE - Clinicall Orthopaedic Examination...); then I miss the possibility to use custom sounds for some events, and the possibility to have different message tones for different senders. Once I was done with customising my iPhone, I could just listen to it, without looking to know what is happening, sometimes, I am just too lazy to pick up the phone, now I have to, because I never know if some notification is urgent or not :(
But on the other hand, I really adore My Lumia, the People Hub is something I always wanted, Live Tiles is a great feature, and 4 me, this is the best phone on the market.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone is a great device.

WP8 offers a different, and interesting, philosophy on how to manage information. I love it.

I agree that the battery could use improving. I carry a booster in my car just in case. But I rarely need to use it unless I'm at an amusement park all day or something.

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

As long as you are making sure that you are exiting out of apps that may be running unintentionally in the background, and don't download apps like Weave or Nokia Drive or Nokia Music, you will get battery life that's far better than the iphone 4's, but WP8 cannot manage itself unlike iOS, so you need to help it out

HansTWN

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I have my phone about 3 weeks now. Most of the time I have about 20-30% left at the end of the second day. But I had to scramble for the charger at around 6pm twice. Once I had been downloading 4 audiobooks over 3G ( and strangely enough the battery meter continued to drop like a rock after that --- I suspect it was more a calibration problem than actually battery usage), the second time I used WiFi rather heavily.

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The 920 has a much larger and better screen than the 4/4S, so battery life will be less. I find that minimal background apps, backing out of apps, and turning off wifi when not connected improved the battery life 10X. Before I wouldn't make it through the day, now when I go to bed at 10pm I'm at about 20% left. I'm glad I left Apple, wish I had done it sooner. It seems the kinks are getting worked out of the 920 and Windows 8. The app store is really picking up and I wouldn't go back at all.

weareinfinite

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I got a Lumia 920 in late November after using an iPhone 4 for two years, and I love this phone. I haven't been remotely tempted to go back to iOS, which had started to feel boring and stagnant to me. I hope you'll love your new phone too.

In terms of the battery, it's been kinda disappointing. I was used to charging my iPhone every night. It could last about 1.5 days on a charge, I'd say, so as long as I plugged it in at night I never really had to think or worry about my battery. That's not true of the Lumia - my battery life has been pretty inconsistent. My phone doesn't have trouble getting through the work day most days, but it virtually never lasts until I go to bed. There are also days where I have less than 20% left by the time I leave work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong (I did all the usual things like switching off NFC, Bluetooth, etc.), but I haven't figured it out yet. Anyway, the point is that now I actually have to alter settings and alter my habits when using my phone because of the battery, and that's kind of lame. Just felt I should chime in here and tell you my experience so you know what to expect. On the whole, though, this phone is awesome. I should also say that in terms of apps I really haven't been disappointed at all. I'm not too into apps in general, but even in my limited explorations of the app store I've found some neat functionality that I wasn't even expecting, like beautiful weather apps, sports score apps that auto-update scores on the live tile, a fantasy football app that displayed projected and current matchup scores, etc...

Battery aside, get the phone and don't look back!

tonyluo2001

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Really battery is a thing different with all users here. For me, the phone can last 2 full days with light use, WIFI always on, GPS, NFC off. But there are 2 heavy stuff that could kill my battery:

1, open the mobile network when the 3G network is poor. Even if I'm not using any app, it will just warm up and kill the battery. Once I turn off the internet, it will stop draining.

2, play heavy games like "guns for life", "angry birds", "where's my water?". Games like this can kill up to 1% per minute and the phone picks up heats very quick.

And since you are switching the platform, don't treat battery as the only thing to consider. The way WP works is simply flashy and stylish (for me). And the camera on L920 makes me ditch my cannon S95. :)

Fraser Robertson

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Really battery is a thing different with all users here. For me, the phone can last 2 full days with light use, WIFI always on, GPS, NFC off. But there are 2 heavy stuff that could kill my battery:

1, open the mobile network when the 3G network is poor. Even if I'm not using any app, it will just warm up and kill the battery. Once I turn off the internet, it will stop draining.

2, play heavy games like "guns for life", "angry birds", "where's my water?". Games like this can kill up to 1% per minute and the phone picks up heats very quick.

And since you are switching the platform, don't treat battery as the only thing to consider. The way WP works is simply flashy and stylish (for me). And the camera on L920 makes me ditch my cannon S95. :)

Well yes that's true regarding the battery. I will mainly be using it for internet browsing twitter foursquare and music on the go and of course photos too.

Guess it will take a bit of getting used to a larger phone from the iphone 4 as with most phones these days the size is increasing as long as the weight is not making me feel like I have a brick in my pocket I will be happy...saying that I do remember having a Motorola which had to be clipped on my waist as was too bulky for the pocket back In the early 90s lol

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I think if you're a heavy user then the battery life on the lumia 920 could disappoint you somewhat. When using the phone for browsing, games etc. the battery tends to drain pretty quickly. For light to moderate users the battery life should suffice because it doesn't drain much at all whilst it is not in use. Overall I think the battery life is acceptable, as long as it lasts from when I leave the house to when I get home I consider that fine. So far it hasn't let me down in that respect. If you do plan on having a long day then a charge every now and then throughout the day could be beneficial (grab a wireless charger, they're awesome).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo